Adding brakes to Scamp 13- cost? And other service issues. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #15

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
All the OP wants to do is mount brakes to the existing Scamp axle with 13" wheels. Don't you need bigger wheels to mount a 10" drum? Then you would need more wheel well clearance requiring a new axle, no?
Yes, increasing the drum size does create some other issues. Since lots of these trailers use 7 inch brakes and they are adequate, I personally would stay with 7" brakes. As far as wheel size, I appears that 13' wheels will accommodate 10' drums. According to Dexter the only way to put 10" drums on a 2200# axle like the OP has is to replace the existing axle with a 9H which is a 2200# axle with 3500# spindles. Dexter offers no bearing option to adapt 10'' drums to the standard 2200# Torflex axle.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:05 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I just can't imagine the problems with 10" brakes on my 1700 lb trailer. I think I would have to modify the brake controller to reduce the current to magnets otherwise I would think you'd be locking the wheels up everytime you put your foot on the brake.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:09 PM   #17

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I just can't imagine the problems with 10" brakes on my 1700 lb trailer. I think I would have to modify the brake controller to reduce the current to magnets otherwise I would think you'd be locking the wheels up everytime you put your foot on the brake.
The Scamp16 has 10" brakes, even on the ones which weigh less than a loaded 13. There is plenty of adjustment in the controller.
In fact, if I ever replace my axle it will have 10" brakes.
The only reason they even make 7" brakes is to fit over 8" wheels which are commonly used with the 2200# axle on snowmobile trailers and the like. The 7" brakes are really not aggressive enough for my taste, but they do the job.
I towed my car trailer with 10" brakes, and they worked fine when it was empty.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieR View Post
Thanks for the info. I briefly told my husband about the responses and he thinks he may try to do it himself. We can't even get an RV or trailer place to call us back and the one that did said they wouldn't work on the Scamp, so I don't know what the deal is.

Anyone have someone in New England to recommend??
Easy job, but I don't want to do it for liability reasons, BUT, if you want to take a ride on the Mass Pike and about 15 miles into NY, you could check with Heavy Haulers near Hudson NY. They do trailer work and have a lot of parts. I got new brake assemblies there for our Casita.

Tags
brakes, scamp