Adding rear jacks - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #43

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I had the Atwoods welded to the back bumper (where I used to put the other jacks.) They'll work great. My friend who did the work also made a spare tire carrier for me and fixed the propane tank holder.

I'll get some blocks of wood for the sand in my driveway in Washington but ordinarily I think the stands will be fine on their own. (Most of our campsites are pavement or gravel.)

Old 05-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #44

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hey, Bobbie!

I got an old white plastic cutting board at a thrift store and cut it in half to form "pads" for my Atwoods...worked great for sand or hot asphalt, and didn't take up much room in the trailer.

I still have the pads, though I busted the jacks last year- guess they'll be useful if/when I get the new ones on...

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #45

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I'll get some blocks of wood for the sand in my driveway in Washington but ordinarily I think the stands will be fine on their own. (Most of our campsites are pavement or gravel.)
I have a package of leveling blocks I use under the my rear jacks & tongue jack if the ground is soft - they come in handy for leveling the trailer as well . Use to use wood blocks until the trailer took a trip on its own once due to the wood being wet and apparently very slippery. Only took someone stepping out of the trailer & pushing off on the trial to get it to slip off the blocks.

The bar I have for use on my jacks has no handle. Just a straight bar.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #46

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
I never use that leveling bar....I just get trailer where I want it (level) , drop jacks onto wood ect, drop tongue, snug rear jacks down with foot,raise tongue
Old 05-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #47

Washington
Registry
Francesca, how did you break the jacks? Forget to raise them?? That's a great idea, though, and if I didn't throw it out I have a plastic cutting board I accidentally melted on the stove.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #48

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
I never use that leveling bar....I just get trailer where I want it (level) , drop jacks onto wood ect, drop tongue, snug rear jacks down with foot,raise tongue
That's probably what I will do, too.

I have a indented plastic pad thingy for the wheel jack. I'll see what the Atwoods need. Maybe a couple of the free promotional Frisbees they are always giving away at dog things will work. (My dogs won't chase Frisbees.)

I also got the new breakaway cables on- bought them six years ago and couldn't figure out where to attach them so have been using the old chains. What I forgot to do.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #49

Name: Donald & Debra
Trailer: Compact Jr 'RV There Yet'
Texas
Registry
For the jacks on the 'old' tent trailer, I used an old, heavy screwdriver (flea market find)
Old 05-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #50

Washington
Registry
Oh, great idea, I have a ton of weird drivers (bought a bag at a yardsale once) and will have something that should work great.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #51

Name: Donald & Debra
Trailer: Compact Jr 'RV There Yet'
Texas
Registry
The one I used has a 3/8 to 1/2 square shaft, about a foot long, with a good sized handle; worked well. It was also used to pry/split firewood.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #52

Washington
Registry
I just did them by hand; couldn't figure out how the screwdriver would help. Maybe when they get stiffer with age. The stabilizers were great- sure made set up simple, and two fewer things to store inside the trailer. Plus the trailer felt more stable than with the crank-up type.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #53

Registry
Mostly what the screwdriver/lever handle does, Bobbie, is snug up the jack- it can also make small corrections in off-level by ratcheting up a notch or two.

You just stick the handle in the hole immediately below the edge of the top half of the leg and pump down. (It goes through at a downwards-angle to/through the hole in the opposite side of the leg). Leverage lifts to lock in the next position.

Repeat for more elevation!

Francesca
Old 05-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #54

Washington
Registry
I just snugged up by raising the tongue wheel jack. Same as I did with the old jacks.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #55

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
Newbie here. Boy, I tried those Casita swing down jacks when I was bringing "Eggbert" home from purchase. I could not get them retracted. I am missing the bar. Luckily was at a friends in AZ & we got them up.
Should these things be greased or oiled for ease of op? I purchased a bumper mount with swing down arms & a rachet & webbed strap. Works for me, but I want to be like the rest of you guys.
Also did the a__teakettle when admiring the new rear overhead cab't door-here in CA we thought it was the "Big One". Had a good laugh.
Currently camped in driveway w/stabilizers deployed. )
e
Old 05-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #56

Registry
What do you mean by "couldn't get them to retract", Elaine?

If they're the Atwood-type, releasing the tension on the lever allows one to push the foot part up into the top half of the leg- then just swing up 'til they latch. It's easier to do with a rod of some kind, which I also find necessary for getting them down in the first place. (Used to push against the leg to release tension on the holding spring)

By the way, speaking of being a Newbie:

When I first got my Trillium I cussed and swore about the "design of the jacks" because, dimwit that I am, I thought you had to beat on them from above to get them down! I don't know why they lasted as long as they did with that treatment, and don't remember exactly when I figured out different...

But I DO know why I eventually broke one 'cause it flopped open on the road one day, the holding tab having failed due to my years of abuse...

Onward through the fog!

Francesca