Adding rear jacks - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler
Red face Adding rear jacks

So our 13 ft. Boler doesn't have any rear stabilizer jacks on it. We ordered 2 from scamp and are ready to put them on. So the question is, where, exactly, do we put them!!?? I sure would appreciate any pictures you might have of your jacks and where they are installed. I assume they go like this (angled out), right?:

It seems like they should go on the frame, perhaps behind the rear skirt, towards the tires?? It appears to have a way to bolt them... should we bolt or weld?

Seems like such a silly question to have to ask.. LOL sorry!!

Old 04-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I don't have a boler but mine are back by the bumper,and yes angled out. I bolted mine on just in case I have to take them off to fix or replace them.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #3

Which side of the skirt are they on? Where you can see them (bumper side) or just behind the skirt (tire side)?
Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Check this forum link out

Boler Jacks
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I think location may depend at least partly on the (stabilizer) jack type- if you ordered them from Scamp, are they the kind shown in these pictures, and did they come with weld-on brackets or bolt on?

Francesca
Attached Thumbnails
2009_scamp_13_travel_trailer_for_10_200_20671933.jpg   stabilizer.jpg  

DSC01867.jpg  
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #6

Yes! That's the kind! Thank you so much, that answers my question! Appreciate the pictures!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #7

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
I also am considering mounting of jacks. I purchased a pair of scissor jacks from Princess Auto. I think the ones I purchased are intended as automotive spares. At a sale price of $15 each, I couldn't resist.

2 Ton Scissor Jack | Princess Auto

The question now, is what to do with them. I could mount them to the frame, but I'm concerned they will rust at a faster than average rate. Economy tools often have economy metal quality. I think a better option would be to put a mounting point of some sort on the trailer frame and stow the jacks inside.

There are no bolt holes in the jack, so I would have to make holes of my own anyway. I suspect that I could make my own holes with a drill press if needed.

I could just place the jacks against the frame, and count on the weight of the trailer to hold them in place. It seems to me that something should be done make sure there is no movement.

As a do-it-yourselfer with without access to a machine shop, what would you use as a mounting bracket?

Derek
Old 04-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #8

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post

As a do-it-yourselfer with without access to a machine shop, what would you use as a mounting bracket?

Derek
If you have access to a welder, and the saddle can be removed from the jack (can't tell if it's bolts or rivets), I would weld a 1/4" pin in from the back, then drill a hole in the frame of the trailer.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #9

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
If you have access to a welder, and the saddle can be removed from the jack (can't tell if it's bolts or rivets), I would weld a 1/4" pin in from the back, then drill a hole in the frame of the trailer.
It looks like the saddle is attached with two metal rivit/pins. Although you can see them from the underside, there is a metal plate that significantly limits access to them from the inside. It appears that those pins are the pivot point for the jack mechanism. It might be possible to wiggle a dremel in there and cut them, though it would be tricky.

I like the 1/4" pin idea. I had an old car which had a pin to align the brake rotor to the wheel rim. I could probably drill a hole into the existing saddle, cut a thread into the existing hole, and thread in a similar pin. Would this be strong enough? Thoughts?

Derek
Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #10

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Hmm, I need to do that. Advantages of the Boler kind vs. scissor jacks? Faster? Do they have as much play? Can I get bolt on in either kind?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #11

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Hmm, I need to do that. Advantages of the Boler kind vs. scissor jacks? Faster? Do they have as much play? Can I get bolt on in either kind?
Princess Auto sells a bolt-on style scissor jack. You can probably get them at your RV supplier too, though you will likely pay more.
2 pc 2 Ton RV Scissor Jack | Princess Auto

Etrailer is another option:
Scissor Jack Trailer Jack | etrailer.com

Or the pull down style here:
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trai...Pull_Down.aspx
Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #12

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Two-ton jacks for stabilizers! That's a lot of muscle for something to be mounted at a non-lifting part of the frame...

Per installation location:

In my opinion, those scissor jacks will hang down too far if permanently mounted in a way that provides access to the operating mechanism. I'm struggling with a similar problem with some (slightly different) jacks I bought for my Trillium. I now regret that I didn't stick with the same earlier discussed (Atwood-type) jacks from Scamp that fold up side-to-side flush with the bumper.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #13

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I think I like the fold-up type, too. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #14

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
In my opinion, those scissor jacks will hang down too far if permanently mounted in a way that provides access to the operating mechanism. I'm struggling with a similar problem with some (slightly different) jacks I bought for my Trillium. I now regret that I didn't stick with the same earlier discussed (Atwood-type) jacks from Scamp that fold up side-to-side flush with the bumper.
It seems to me that the hang down issue depends on how close you mount them to the axle. I suppose if you mount them off the rear bumper, they probably will ground out if you go over a speed bump or whatever other road obstacle. I saw a stick built trailer today that had scissor jacks, but the height of the frame was much higher.