Adding Solar Panels - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #41

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 17 ft 2008
Quote:
After talking to y’all on this forum and some full timers that boondock a lot I’ve decided to call AM Solar and take advantage of their Special. It has a MPPT controller and a custom 100 Watt panel that optimizes the MPPT controller’s capability.

Here is the one I’m considering: http://www.amsolar.com/am100.html

I measured my trailer and it will fit very well.
We have the AM Solar 100 watt panel and the Heliotrope HPV-22B MPPT controller from AM Solar. This combination works wonderfully for us.

Steve McGough
Steve M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #42

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We also have AM solar installed on our Oliver, 2 100 watt panels. In sixty days of camping this summer, we did not need to use the generator but twice, and probably could have avoided that by charging the computers during the day. However, we had more fun things to do. We camped primarily without electricity. (So many of the best sites available were without power, and many parks did not allow generators.)
We're very happy with our setup.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #43

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
We also have AM solar installed on our Oliver, 2 100 watt panels. In sixty days of camping this summer, we did not need to use the generator but twice, and probably could have avoided that by charging the computers during the day. However, we had more fun things to do. We camped primarily without electricity. (So many of the best sites available were without power, and many parks did not allow generators.)
We're very happy with our setup.
Steve, Sherry and Paul, Thanks for the feed back.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #44

Boy I was really conflicted on what to buy. Lori and I talked it over and over. I have been reading another website where there are many fulltimers. Their recommendation is to go with the AM Solar, Inc. in Oregon.. They seem to have great service before and after the sale. Their reputation is what tipped the sale for us.

I really appreciate Gina's & Peter's input, although that is what caused me so much heart burn. I had a hard time balancing the cost. Florida is so much cheaper.

So what we ordered is the SunRunner 100-22 system. I like the fact that is works well with AGM batteries which I have. I did get the $100 Escapee discount. Also, I plan on getting the 30% solar discount. The tipping point was the MPPT controller. Those are very expensive. Then to really take advantage of the type of controller, that controller likes the higher voltage the 100 panel puts out.

I also like the 25 year warranty from a company that has been around a long time and has a great reputation. So here is what I ordered with mount option #2 using 3M VHB tape.
<blockquote> http://www.amsolar.com/sunrunner100-22.html
</blockquote>
Old 09-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #45

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
I bought the same system 5 years ago and I am very happy with it. Since the MPPT controller will handle up to 4 - 100 watt panels, I keep toying with the idea of adding at least 2 more units. Maybe someday.
Good luck with your setup.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #46

All the equipment for the solar arrived well packed. I had my local Bubba (Matt) climb up on the roof and do the installation. The refrigerator had to be removed to install the MPPT controller and run the wires for the other antennas where I wanted. This solar set up has a temperature sensor that reads how hot the batteries are and adjusts the charge accordingly. Matt said the panel was very light weight yet built very heavy duty. So far so good.

While he was installing the solar, I had him also install my Sirius radio antenna, my Wilson EVDO antenna, and a WiFi antenna. I hope to also install a TV antenna at some point.

ALL of the antennas are neatly run over to the refrigerator vent and down to their entry points. This keeps everything water tight and visually neat. Also, no holes were poked into the roof. (yea!)

I probably paid too much, but I don't think I could have done as well or everything they did and really like the Job Matt did.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #47

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Sounds like a good install Mike.
How do you like the Wilson EVDO antenna?? I'm in the market before next summers month on the road to add one of those.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:08 AM   #48

Quote:
Sounds like a good install Mike.
How do you like the Wilson EVDO antenna?? I'm in the market before next summers month on the road to add one of those.
I haven’t used it yet. I’ll try to report back.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #49

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Well, Mr. Mike....some pictures of the install would be good. Have Lori shimmy up a ladder for us!

We have what I think is a 55 watt panel on the roof and we would like to add about that much more and are trying to decide what route to go.....fixed panel or installed on the roof.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #50

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I probably paid too much...
Remember, Mike...the quality lingers on long after the price is forgotten.

I second the request for pics. The description of what Matt did conjurs images of the Mars Rover....
Old 09-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #51

OK, I’ll

Tags
solar, solar power