Adhesive - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2003, 02:03 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Adhesive

ARRRRGGGHHHH...

Some people should be slapped... I was starting the cleanout of my Play-Pac today and while leaning against the wall my the carpet gave out. I found underneath a channel where the top and bottom half are put together where all the wiring runs. On top of this channel is 4" wide strip of what looks like 1/8" paneling glued to the wall. Where my hand wnet through was a piece of cereal box cardboard duct taped to the wall under the carpet. I pulled back the carpet and there are big missing pieces of the paneling stuff. No big deal to replace (just irks me that someone used duct tape and a Corn Flakes box for a repair)... But... What kind of adhesive would work on wood and fiberglass. I have a bunch of contruction adhesive from redoing my house laying around but everyone I talked to says UH-UH... Anyone else had any luck gluing (is that the right spelling?) wood to fiberglass, and if so what did you use? Thanks for any info!!!

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 02:19 PM   #2

glue

Liquid nails in a caulking tube?!

Put a bead on the wood and slap it in place. :)

Old 07-26-2003, 08:51 PM   #3

adhesives

You COULD use fiberglass resin along with a little cloth to glass it in. That'd work.

However - all in all, I'd go with the heavy duty liquid nails. I went through SEVERAL adhesives trying to glue the insulation back up in my Boler. I don't think I've told that story in this forum... Nothing much more fun than having to redo the same work over and over and repeatedly having the insulation fall down on your head. :(

Anyway - The liquid nails was the last I tried and it worked great. I also used it to glue in a new wood strip against the wall to mount the table to. Last place I used it was in gluing up the fiberglass sheeting material I used to repair the side closet.

The rough inside surface of the fiberglass is a nearly ideal surface for gluing actually.

Great stuff!

mkw

Old 07-26-2003, 09:07 PM   #4

Thanks loads guys! I have a BUNCH of that stuff laying around from the house redo... A contractor friend of mine and another buddy said no way to the stuff though... I'll go with the been there done that crowd:thumb

Thanks a bunch!

Old 07-28-2003, 03:34 AM   #5

Gorilla glue

I have used a polyurethane glue called Gorilla Glue to glue metal to wood, plastic to plastic and most things to my fingers. It is made of the same stuff as the structural foam and actually expands to fill gaps. It ain't cheap but works on nearly everthing. It will NOT come off skin, but wears off eventually.
The other stickum I recommend for carpet is double backed carpet tape. Not the thin stuff, but the two inch tape with the ribbons of mucusy stuff on both sides. I glued some carpet down over linoleum and when I tried to take it up a year later, it peeled the lino up!

Old 07-28-2003, 09:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Orginally posted by Eric C

Thanks loads guys! I have a BUNCH of that stuff laying around from the house redo... A contractor friend of mine and another buddy said no way to the stuff though... I'll go with the been there done that crowd:thumb

Thanks a bunch!
I'd ask them why not? messy?? smelly? what? just saying 'no way' is not fair.

Old 07-28-2003, 12:21 PM   #7

"I'd ask them why not? messy?? smelly? what? just saying 'no way' is not fair."

You ever run across some folks who are just right all the time? No matter what? Well... the three people I talked to are kinda like that... Just the reason why I posed the question here after I asked them had they ever tried it and they said "no, but it won't work". I figured going to the folks who HAD done it was the safest bet!

BTW... as a side note... I got a KILLER deal on some indoor outdoor carpet at Wal-Mart today. I priced some out at Home Depot and it was going to run me about 300 and some change. Got all the stuff I needed in workable sizes (6x9) for get this... 85 bucks... AND in a color I prefer (light grey). Home Depot only had it in this yucky tan color. It's also more pliable so it should mold easier to the curves! KA-CHING!!!

Old 07-29-2003, 11:55 AM   #8

don't forget befores and afters, Eric. pictures, we want pictures. :)
I think anyone who changes carpet is brave and daring. sure would look nice on my ceiling though. :chin