Adhesive question concerning floor replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Adhesive question concerning floor replacement

Hi everyone, my 1992 scamp trailer project has kicked off and I found myself in need of a rear floor.

I've read in one of the resto threads that someone used pl300 adhesive when replacing the floor to glue it back to the hull on the underside. I plan on glassing the joint on the top of the floor but want to use an adhesive on the underside for obvious reasons

My question is: I bought a tube of pl300 and it says "foamboard adhesive". Is this the right stuff since I'm gluing resin coated plywood to fiberglass? I also picked up a tube a pl375 heavy duty adhesive in case the 300 was not correct. Which should I use to glue the underside seam of the flooring to the scamp shell?

Thanks in advance for the reply.
LanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #2

Here's a couple shots of the floor coming out. The water tank looks to be the culprit. The floor under where the dinette table hovers was so soft I stepped and put my foot through it. Out it came....On the plus side the crack int he side of the shell is now nice and accessible for repair.

I have an overlap of cracked fiberglass in the crakc on the side. I'm trying to figure out if I should just resin and glass over that after squishing them together, or cut it out and build new.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 016.jpg   Picture 021.jpg  

Picture 019.jpg   Picture 001.jpg  

Old 08-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Your Scamp should not have a hull on the bottom. Chances are that's a single layer of fiberglass used to protect the floor from underneath. I'd probably replace the whole floor at this stage glassing it into the lip you can see.

I used PL300 laying a thin 1/8" subfloor over the original before tiling just to smooth it out. I would not use it in this situation. Do a search for replacing floors.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply.

I do understand I do not have a "hull" on the bottom, perhaps I confused you with the way I worded my post. I intend on replacing the entire floor, perhaps my pictures misled you. The entire rear floor is presently removed.

I understand that the OSB floor is resin coated then glassed in top and bottom along the edges mating the shell wall to the floor.

I did a search for replacing the floor, which is where I found The topic of my question.

In the post I read the individual only fiberglassed the top of the replacement floor, then used the PL300 adhesive as a substitute for glassing in the bottom.

I liked the idea since if it was effective it would save me from glassing on my back. I did mention in my first post I planned on glassing the top side joint like it was form the factory.

My question still is that the PL300 used in the thread I read is a foam board adhesive (at least on the tube I bought), and I'm not intending on using it on foam board obviously.

So, I wanted to know if it is the correct product or if anyone has also used it or some other adhesive as an alternative to fiberglassing the underside seam between the new floor and the shell/hull side.

Hopefully that clarified what I was looking for. Thanks again.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #5

nobody?
Old 08-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
These forums slow down on the weekends.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanM View Post
nobody?