Adhesive removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 13 ft Scamp and 1998 20 ft Aljo
A new member of the forum, restoring a 1985 13' Scamp. To keep the work original, I plan to try first new interior seam tape purchased from Scamp. My problem is that the previous owner had replaced the original tape with a thick, heavy (automotive?) vinyl tape. I have removed what little hadn't fallen down, but remaining is a LOT of gummy adhesive in the seams. Any ideas on removal without damaging the ensolite? Any help appreciated, Ron S.
Ron S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Boler 13 ft
I have been using Goo Gone to remove the adhesive around the door of my Boler and it has worked quite well. It was purchased at Menards in Minnesota, beware though, fumes man, fumes!
Dan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
I have found Goo Gone to be much safer to use than Goof Off. Goo Gone appears to be more of an oil based product that will wipe clean while Goof Off will melt plastic. So be careful which one you buy. I know that Dan mentioned Goo Gone and I think that would be the better choice.
Chris
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
We have a screen printing business and I have found that Ickee Stickee Unstuck from Franmar works really well cleaning adhesives. Since it is made from soybeans it has a cleaner smell. I suspect it will work on fiberglass. The folks at Franmar can probably suggest this or another product.

http://www.franmar.com/product_info.php?cP...;products_id=64
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
For a fairly small job and using something around the house...I've found fingernail polish remover works well. When I purchased my Scamp, the prior owners had stuck all kinds of decals on the rear plexiglass window. The fingernail polish remover, which is an oily acetone, removed all the goo...and didn't hurt the plexiglass nor the fiberglass where the stuff dripped.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #6

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

WD-40 does a good job of the sticky stuff on the back of window decals. Maybe it would work on your sticky stuff also.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
While traditional nail polish remover is acetone-based, now there are non-acetone versions as well... it probably matters which one you use, so it's worth reading the label.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
While traditional nail polish remover is acetone-based, now there are non-acetone versions as well... it probably matters which one you use, so it's worth reading the label.

Hello everyone........I want to add my 2cents worth of info here. I work in the food industry( restaurant) and we use Lots of hand sanitzer daily .......and beleave it or not * not just for hands* it will also Remove gum(from under tables) sticky stuff left on windows from tape and sticky stuff from price stickers, as well as gum stuck to the chairs without taking out the color or doing damage to the fabric.

So just give it a little try ...does not take very much and it is fairly cheap, next time try something you have on hand for some other purpose ...it might just be what you need. My advice is try it on a small spot first .......if it works go for the big one.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:23 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft
eucalyptus oil is the miracle cleaner. Full strength, it will outdo GOO Gone, diluted in water for regular jobs. I have used it to remove various gooey adhesives, clean window till you can't see them anymore, wash my hardwood floors, remove bugs from the front of the car. It is miraculous because it is one of those cleaners that is strong enough for the job, but not too strong to ruin the subject. Can be bought at health food stores. Nive for a hot bath too.
cvesbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:49 PM   #10

So far it seems we have oils (WD-40, eucalyptus), hydrocarbon solvents (WD-40, acetone), alcohols (hand santizer), fatty acids and other stuff (Ickee Stickee Unstuck®), and mystery stuff probably including citrus oils (Goo Gone) all recommended. Starting from these base active ingredients there are probably even more possibilities.

Personally I have not found any product (including Goof Off or Goo Gone) very effective where I have used them, but I may have unreasonable expectations.

Quote:
Originally posted by MSDS for Ickee Stickee Unstuck®
Contains fatty acids C16-18 and C18 unsaturated. Methyl Esters CAS-67784-80-9, and d-limonene CAS 94266-47-4.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Personally I have not found any product (including Goof Off or Goo Gone) very effective where I have used them, but I may have unreasonable expectations.
If you're talking about duct tape that's been stuck on for a veeeerrrry long time...good luck...the glue turns to "concrete" on fiberglass.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 1985 13 ft Scamp and 1998 20 ft Aljo
Quote:
A new member of the forum, restoring a 1985 13' Scamp. To keep the work original, I plan to try first new interior seam tape purchased from Scamp. My problem is that the previous owner had replaced the original tape with a thick, heavy (automotive?) vinyl tape. I have removed what little hadn't fallen down, but remaining is a LOT of gummy adhesive in the seams. Any ideas on removal without damaging the ensolite? Any help appreciated, Ron S.

Have not yet had a chance to try all the tips and ideas, but many thanks for the replies.
Ron S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 1972 MKP Grandesse T (made in Denmark)
I'm having a VERY hard time trying to scrape off/remove stickers all over the sides and door of my hi-point FG trailer.
Some just don't come up at all. Is there anything short of a sander that can 'eat' through the stickers?
I've tried most of the above except for non-acetone nail polish, Ickee Stickee Unstuck, and eucalyptus oil. Where can one find eucalyptus oil (for a large area application -about 2'x4')
Any ideas?
Denise K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #14

Quote:
... Is there anything short of a sander that can 'eat' through the stickers?
Probably not.
I think the secret with stickers is not to try to go through them at all. It's not like removing a paper label, they are plastic and need to be peeled or scraped off, with heat and/or some chemical assistance to get the adhesive to let go. The removal chemicals need to get at the edge, not the surface of the sticker.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
What did you end up using? What worked best? I have the same problem, old thick glue lines. I spent 2 days straight using zylene (sp?) which ate through acid and chemical resistant gloves and goof off. Not a budge. I'm tired of the fumes and elbow grease and am now searching for a 3 inch wide seam cover to deal with it. Still looking......
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:01 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
i used acetone to remove ancient stickers with thick gum lines. scrubbed with a dobie?, (kitchen pot scrubber), worked fine, no harm done to camper.
gillian s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:11 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: What did you end up using? My wifes electric hair drier!!! Heat them up gently and peal off carefully Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote