Admitted stupid question- trailer brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #1

Name: J
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Admitted stupid question- trailer brakes

I just brought my 78 trillium 1300 home. The axle has been replaced in the last couple of years and everything is in wonderful condition. It is outfitted with the 7 blade plug. I asked if it had electric brakes and was told that it didn't. I got underneath this morning to identify the axle to check in to getting electric brakes installed tomorrow. Sure enough, there are two wires coming from each brake assembly and it is all wired professionally together and heads in the general direction of the plug. It was all professionally installed, axle and assembly, by a reputable company so I have no reason to believe it isn't 100%. Obviously I need to get a controller installed on my TV but (now stupid question) is there anything else that the wiring could be for? I am in the middle of a move and don't have a location to disassemble.
JBjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBjunior View Post
is there anything else that the wiring could be for?
No.

You have brakes!

By the way:

I had a very similar experience when I bought my Trillium- asked the fella if it had brakes and he said no...but when I got there and saw the wires and OEM pigtail I knew different!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Sponds good fropm here

Google "Wiring 7 pin RV plug" and you can verify if the correct pin was selected for the brakes, add a controller and you may be good to go.

That said, there is also supposed to be a break-away switch and it should be connected to a live battery to activate the trailers brakes should it part company from your TV.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #4

Name: J
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Thank you both! The only other possibility was some sensor/monitoring system but I knew that wasn't likely. I will verify everything is wired correctly. It was all installed at Potter Webster so I have no doubt it is a quality install.
JBjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
The only stupid questions are the one's that's not ask. Should save money on the brakes. Great bunch of people on here with tons of knowledge.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBjunior View Post
Thank you both! The only other possibility was some sensor/monitoring system but I knew that wasn't likely. I will verify everything is wired correctly. It was all installed at Potter Webster so I have no doubt it is a quality install.
I bought the axle for my Scamp from Potter Webster. Great, knowledgeable people. Get the brake controller... buy a GOOD ONE and you should be good to go!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes