Advanced Scamp Electrical Question - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #29

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Both zinc and graphite are conductors, so I bet this is only suitable for a high power connection that is made once and left alone. Not a switch.
I used contact cleaner for the switch, not Ox-Gard. I used Ox-Gard on the base of the bulb (just a thin film). It's primary purpose is to prevent oxidation (hence, the name) and it does help prevent corrosion. Try a little on the base of one of your trailer's tail light bulbs and then compare to an untreated bulb a year or so later.

By the way, a little dab works great in the female part of the tug to trailer connection, which often becomes a corroded mess in short order.

One caution however, since it is a conductive paste, it can cause a short if over applied.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #30

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
As you said, as long as good judgement is used, it should be OK. It also may be that the Ox-Gard is not loaded with the copper and graphite enough to be conductive as is. They suggest that the grease is squeezed out and leaves the copper and graphite behind, between the parts that are pressed together.

Now I am curious - could you test the bulk conductivity of the Ox-Gard by just sticking the probes of a multimeter into a dab of it? I used some conductive epoxies once long time ago, and in order to be conductive, the percentage of silver in them had to be really high.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:16 PM   #31

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Well!.. This is getting really interesting! Even though I have had great success for years using Ox-Gard on various electrical connections, when I tried to measure the resistance of the paste alone it acted like a good insulator. In fact if I had some on one of the muliti-meter probes (digital meter set on 200 ohm setting), I read infinite resistance until I cleaned the paste off the probe.

This thread mirrors this discussion quite a bit and one comment was "It [Ox-Gard] doesn't conduct well when it's in a blob, but when spread into a very thin film sandwiched between two conductors, the metal particles in the grease touch both sides and begin to conduct.

So maybe its not the best option for a bulb in socket where the space between conductors is more than a crimped type connection, but it seems to work for me.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:46 AM   #32

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Thanks for finding that thread - interesting.

Tags
electrical, scamp