Advice on 5th wheels? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #1

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
Advice on 5th wheels?

In my search for my perfect trailer I just discovered the possibility of 5th wheels and found that Bigfoot makes one. This is a new idea for me but one I find attractive as I am planning to live in it for a while. It seems you get a little more room with out a huge gain in size and weight. I know nothing about the diffence in towability on them and I do know that the Bigfoots will be older. I'm also looking at the Scamp. Any thoughts or advice from those with experience? Until now I have been looking at the Bigfoot, Scamp and Casita 17's.
Will anyone be at the Crocket Rally with any of the above? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Jan
Janb313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Jan, there's a nice... very nice Bigfoot 5th Wheel for sale here in Oregon: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-54066.html

If you're looking to buy new, don't forget Escape Trailer Industries builds a beautiful 5th wheel! Escape 5.0

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If you are 6ft tall then the Scamp just might not be tall or wide enough 4 U.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #4

Texas
I saw the one in Or and it looks really nice. Have looked at photos of Scamp too (I'm 5'5' so it's fine for me)tho it is narrow - a plus for towing! The Escape is out of my price unfortunately. Any one have experience with the 5ers as far as weight, towing etc?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jan, let's start by asking what do you plan to tow with?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #6

Texas
I am in the market for a new vehicle and have been looking at midsize trucks - mostly toyota tacoma and nissan frontier so I can be flexible about a vehicle. From what I have been reading either of those should be adequate. My old Silverado has 230,000 miles and guzzles gas so it's out! It still hauls my horse trailer tho!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita
Hi Jan,
We will probably be at Pineknot with our Escape 5.0. We'll be happy to show it to you and discuss towing, etc. I can tell you the fifth wheel tows very well. We tow with an F150 and the whole thing is only 35 feet long overall.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Jan,

We have a 1988 Bigfoot 5th wheel in southeast Louisiana. Unfortunately we won't be able to make Pineknot this year. The last year Bigfoot 5th wheels were manufactured was 1994.

We've had 2 Scamp 5th wheels and now the Bigfoot. The Tacoma or Frontier should work fine with a Scamp 5th wheel. The Bigfoot 5th wheel is about 1000 lbs. heavier and we tow with a 2006 Tundra V8. The smaller trucks may not be able to safely tow the heavier Bigfoot, especially in hills and mountains.

As for living in either camper, we are definitely more comfortable in the Bigfoot. It has a regular queen size mattress where the deluxe Scamp with front bath had a short queen mattress.

Best of luck in your search.

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #9

Name: Jim & Kathy
Trailer: Escape
Northern Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janb313 View Post
In my search for my perfect trailer I just discovered the possibility of 5th wheels and found that Bigfoot makes one. This is a new idea for me but one I find attractive as I am planning to live in it for a while. It seems you get a little more room with out a huge gain in size and weight. I know nothing about the diffence in towability on them and I do know that the Bigfoots will be older. I'm also looking at the Scamp. Any thoughts or advice from those with experience? Until now I have been looking at the Bigfoot, Scamp and Casita 17's.
Will anyone be at the Crocket Rally with any of the above? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Jan
We have a 2011 Scamp 5th Wheel side bath and have enjoyed it so far. Love having the large bed (we convert it to king size) as we are both tall. Also like having a table and couch in addition to the bed. If you are 6' or less, height should be fine. easy to tow.
jrbowers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janb313 View Post
I saw the one in Or and it looks really nice. Have looked at photos of Scamp too (I'm 5'5' so it's fine for me)tho it is narrow - a plus for towing! The Escape is out of my price unfortunately. Any one have experience with the 5ers as far as weight, towing etc?
Hi: Janb313... We just returned from 2 wks. on the east coast towing an Escape 5.0 with a Nissan Frontier 4ltr. V6. Great combo. Here's a pic or two.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Up close and personal.jpg   The view from here.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Scamp 5th wheel with Nissan Frontier

We pull a Scamp 5th wheel with 2007 Frontier SE, 6-cylinder, with no problems in about 10,000 miles. Pulls easily with no sway. Great combo! Coincidentally, we sold a Silverado with 230,000 miles when we bought the Nissan.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #12

Texas
I love the Bigfoot but looks like the Scamp wins for economy on the road! Like the Escape too but hard to find a used one but it looks more economical than the Bigfoot too. I'm trying to think down the road here as I'm guessing that gas will continue to rise and the cost of a heavier trailer and larger tow vehicle is a cause for concern for those of us on a tight budget!! So many things to think about....