Advice on All-Electric Egg Camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Ray,

We also have an EggCamper (all electric) and We just love it. I bought a generator several months ago, but haven't even used it yet. Like everyone has said, weather you want/need propane depends on your type of camping. Our idea of roughing it is to not have cable TV and/or sewer hook-up. Most of our camping is in warm weather so we almost always have the A/C running (24 hours a day). In short, we don't want or need propane IN the camper.
As for the WDH, we have a dodge Nitro and don't use one (I've measured the sag and it is only 1" with car loaded and camper hooked up). Also I bought an anti-sway bar but never installed it (have never had a sway problem). The best thing about the EggCamper, it is big (for it's size), easy to tow, and easy to live in. Makes a great vacation home for us.

Art

Old 08-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #16

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I just talked to Jim at Egg Campers again. He said he hasn't sold a single propane unit all year.
That may be true, but if it were me I would still base the choice on my intended usage. I mean, a dealer may not have sold a car with a manual transmission in six months, but I still want one for my driving style.

Personally, I prefer to do things for how I want them and not let resale rule my life, but then again my investment is relatively low compared to a new camper. There are certainly situations when making a decision based on resale could be important.

I guess I just sense that you may be experiencing some "encouragement" to do something just because it's "simpler," or because many others have done it - instead of basing it on what's right for you -- and I hate to see that happen, so I feel compelled to comment.

Do you have any thoughts of camping in places like National Forest campgrounds, or boondocking, and/or Wal-Mart parking lots? Do you anticipate running a heater or furnace when away from power? These are all places where propane could be nice. Boondocking you could use a generator, of course. At a Wal-Mart or a NF campground a generator might be less useful. I guess I'd still want to know more about how you plan to camp before making a "firm" recommendation one way or the other.

Good to be thinking about it now before you finalize things

Raya

Old 08-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #17

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Okay, we pick up our new all-electric egg camper on the 27th!

After long thought, (several months of it, actually), we decided that for the type of camping we do, and have done for our 43 years of married life, we see no advantage of the propane over having a small generator, (and might not even need that). Our camping is almost always for just two or three days and at the local parks that (mostly) have power. Being from Florida we don't like cold weather and an AC will see a lot more use from us than will a furnace. We used to have a pop-up and I don't think we cooked inside more than a time or two, preferring to relocate the stove to the outside position on the trailer. Our main impetus for buying a hard-side trailer was for the convenience of indoor plumbing - being 60+ years old, we no longer enjoy getting up a couple of times during the night to find facilities. As long as the battery keeps the pump running to the john, we should be happy.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #18

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
I would suggest two 6-volt batteries, if they will fit . That will give you much more power, at least thats how i see it.

Good luck with your purchase and have fun.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #19

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Sounds like it should suit your intended use, which is what it's all about.

Now I bet you're counting down the days!

Raya
Old 08-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Congradulations Ray. I'm sure you'll enjoy the roominess and simplicity.

Art
Old 08-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Sounds like you made the best decision for your intended uses. Congratulations, and have fun!

Parker
Old 08-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #22

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Sounds like you made the best decision for your intended uses. Congratulations, and have fun!

Parker
And, at 6'4" the choice of the Egg Camper with its 6'7" interior was pretty easy.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #23

Name: Weldon
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007
Texas
Quote:
And, at 6'4" the choice of the Egg Camper with its 6'7" interior was pretty easy.
You will appreciate the headroom in the Eggcamper. I am 6'2'' myself and the only place I have to duck is going out the door, you gotta watch for that. The firm door opening and the noggin do not mix, and there is a sign, watch your head just above it.
You will enjoy this camper. Rock steady and smooth.

Tags
eggcamper