Advice on carrying bicycles with Scamp 5er - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
How about inside?
Donna, I like it! How do you keep them from moving around?...floor anchor of some sort?

Old 09-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Steve, not my idea. Just pictures I scooped years ago and kept for that "someday, I might need it" folder. An idea would be a full length board, so it's "wedged." If necessary a piano hinge in the middle so you can get it in and out the door (?). OR, instead of running length wise, run the board cross wise across the aisle. The bikes stand with just the fork anchors at the front.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #17

Escondido, California
Quote:
Steve, not my idea. Just pictures I scooped years ago and kept for that "someday, I might need it" folder. An idea would be a full length board, so it's "wedged." If necessary a piano hinge in the middle so you can get it in and out the door (?). OR, instead of running length wise, run the board cross wise across the aisle. The bikes stand with just the fork anchors at the front.
I may be able to fashion a cross brace from square aluminum tubing for the fork mounts that bolt across to each side of the aisle with two large threaded knobs. It would be small, easy to attach and remove and easily fit in the storage box up front or under the bed when not in use. Bikes are on my radar so thanks for your ideas!
Old 09-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #18

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
You will post pictures when you get it done, won't you Steve?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #19

Escondido, California
Quote:
You will post pictures when you get it done, won't you Steve?
You know I love pictures!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
I guess we'll try putting them inside for our trip to the Copake rally, but getting two bikes in and out will be challenging. Probably will be easier with front wheels removed. Like in most things, compromise is needed.
David
Dave you shouldnt have a problem getting the bikes with the wheels still on them into your trailer prior to getting my roof rack I carried 2 mountain bikes inside the trailer. Bungee them together and but wheel chocks on them and a towel or something between them and what ever they are leaning up against.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #21

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I have a large 29" tired mountain bike, I don't have to take the tire off. I'm pretty sure I could get another one in.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
When we are traveling we like to keep the inside of the trailer clear for overnight stops. We want it so we can open the door and step in without having to remove anything that is packed inside, or climb over it. Different story if heading to only one destination, then stuff may get packed inside to get pulled out when we get there, same for the return trip home. That's why we have outside mounted bike racks, but it took a few tries to get one that works good. I use a pair of the thule wheel trays that have the clamp that hooks on the lower frame tube of the bike in the back of my pickup. The trays are bolted to a couple 2 X 4s placed crosswise to hold them in position. I just set this assembly in the truck bed, set the bikes in place and clamp them in and they ride nice. Something like this could be done inside a trailer for those wanting to carry bikes inside. Lately I've only used this method when we take the old teardrop to a cruise-in or car show and I have a pair of vintage BSA bikes I'll take along as part of the display.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #23

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
David
I had the same issues with my Frontier, 5er and my Nucanoe . Nissan Frontier Roof racks are not for DIY installations. I found about these tracks from this forum. Proline #ES Roof Top Track Slats I then bought a complete Yakima rack system off of C/L. When you are not using the racks the tracks are hardly visible. I like the set up much better than the factory rack system.
Some have also welded receiver tubes from HF to 5er tongue above the hitch and have placed generators on platforms there. I was thinking at one time of putting a bile rack up front over the hitch. (I have a long bed Frontier)
Eddie
Old 09-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #24

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Some have also welded receiver tubes from HF to 5er tongue above the hitch and have placed generators on platforms there. I was thinking at one time of putting a bile rack up front over the hitch. (I have a long bed Frontier)
That's what I was suggesting in this earlier post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Another option often used with large 5th wheel trailers is a rack mounted to the front of the trailer, attached to the pinbox (or in this case the tongue); this requires generous clearance between trailer and tongue, which seems unlikely with a Frontier. The ride up front would be much smoother than out back.
It would be interesting to see if there really is the space to do this with even a long bed Frontier.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #25

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Thanks Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
David, I'll put my Swagman rack on the Uhaul for the Copake rally so you can see how it works. I'll even put a bike on it, but I haven't planned on doing any riding. There is a rail trail bike path in the area, and it starts near the foot trail up to Bash Bish Falls. Bob
That will be great. We appreciate your going to the trouble.

Looking forward to meeting you,

David
Old 09-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #26

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's what I was suggesting in this earlier post:

It would be interesting to see if there really is the space to do this with even a long bed Frontier.
No, I don't have room to do that in the titan, and the tongue on my fifth wheel is lengthened an easy 4-6" over the factory one.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #27

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Here is a link to Kamper Bob web page where he made his front generator rack. Looks like there should be room for a bile rack and two bikes up front above the hitch. EU3k Hitch Mount
Eddie
Old 09-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #28

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The post is from 2009 and since then there have been several incidents of front mounted bikes and generators that as a result of being in front had an effect on air bag deployment or failure there of. IMHO I would not want to be in a position where there was an accident with bodily injury either to myself or passenger and have the insurance company raise the flag of improper vehicle modification as a defense. It is better to not give anyone a reason to question your judgement.

Tags
scamp