Advice on carrying bicycles with Scamp 5er - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #21

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I have a large 29" tired mountain bike, I don't have to take the tire off. I'm pretty sure I could get another one in.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
When we are traveling we like to keep the inside of the trailer clear for overnight stops. We want it so we can open the door and step in without having to remove anything that is packed inside, or climb over it. Different story if heading to only one destination, then stuff may get packed inside to get pulled out when we get there, same for the return trip home. That's why we have outside mounted bike racks, but it took a few tries to get one that works good. I use a pair of the thule wheel trays that have the clamp that hooks on the lower frame tube of the bike in the back of my pickup. The trays are bolted to a couple 2 X 4s placed crosswise to hold them in position. I just set this assembly in the truck bed, set the bikes in place and clamp them in and they ride nice. Something like this could be done inside a trailer for those wanting to carry bikes inside. Lately I've only used this method when we take the old teardrop to a cruise-in or car show and I have a pair of vintage BSA bikes I'll take along as part of the display.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #23

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
David
I had the same issues with my Frontier, 5er and my Nucanoe . Nissan Frontier Roof racks are not for DIY installations. I found about these tracks from this forum. Proline #ES Roof Top Track Slats I then bought a complete Yakima rack system off of C/L. When you are not using the racks the tracks are hardly visible. I like the set up much better than the factory rack system.
Some have also welded receiver tubes from HF to 5er tongue above the hitch and have placed generators on platforms there. I was thinking at one time of putting a bile rack up front over the hitch. (I have a long bed Frontier)
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #24

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Some have also welded receiver tubes from HF to 5er tongue above the hitch and have placed generators on platforms there. I was thinking at one time of putting a bile rack up front over the hitch. (I have a long bed Frontier)
That's what I was suggesting in this earlier post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Another option often used with large 5th wheel trailers is a rack mounted to the front of the trailer, attached to the pinbox (or in this case the tongue); this requires generous clearance between trailer and tongue, which seems unlikely with a Frontier. The ride up front would be much smoother than out back.
It would be interesting to see if there really is the space to do this with even a long bed Frontier.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #25

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Thanks Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
David, I'll put my Swagman rack on the Uhaul for the Copake rally so you can see how it works. I'll even put a bike on it, but I haven't planned on doing any riding. There is a rail trail bike path in the area, and it starts near the foot trail up to Bash Bish Falls. Bob
That will be great. We appreciate your going to the trouble.

Looking forward to meeting you,

David
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #26

Kansas
Quote:
That's what I was suggesting in this earlier post:

It would be interesting to see if there really is the space to do this with even a long bed Frontier.
No, I don't have room to do that in the titan, and the tongue on my fifth wheel is lengthened an easy 4-6" over the factory one.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Here is a link to Kamper Bob web page where he made his front generator rack. Looks like there should be room for a bile rack and two bikes up front above the hitch. EU3k Hitch Mount
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #28

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The post is from 2009 and since then there have been several incidents of front mounted bikes and generators that as a result of being in front had an effect on air bag deployment or failure there of. IMHO I would not want to be in a position where there was an accident with bodily injury either to myself or passenger and have the insurance company raise the flag of improper vehicle modification as a defense. It is better to not give anyone a reason to question your judgement.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #29

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Here is a link to Kamper Bob web page where he made his front generator rack. Looks like there should be room for a bile rack and two bikes up front above the hitch. EU3k Hitch Mount
Eddie
Not when you turn.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #30

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The post is from 2009 and since then there have been several incidents of front mounted bikes and generators that as a result of being in front had an effect on air bag deployment or failure there of. IMHO I would not want to be in a position where there was an accident with bodily injury either to myself or passenger and have the insurance company raise the flag of improper vehicle modification as a defense. It is better to not give anyone a reason to question your judgement.
I could be wrong, but I'm assuming you're talking on front of the vehicle, right? He's talking on the front of the trailer.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #31

Massachusetts
I agree with Jared that turning with bicycles mounted on the front of a Scamp 5er would be a problem when turning, especially backing. While the air conditioner might be okay there, bicycles on a rack would be much wider than an ac unit and therefore conflict with tv cab much sooner.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #32

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Air bag deployment due to front bike racks? Would be interested in reading about such an event and cause of it - any links to stories on it?

Here ever transit but has front bike racks and I know at trailer meets lots of people with trucks use them as well. There are laws governing their use such as how far they can stick out and no obstruction of the headlights or turn signals etc but wasn't aware of any laws prohibiting their use completely or possible loss of insurance for doing so,
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #33

As Jared already pointed out, the whole subject of racks on the front of the tow vehicle is a bit of a red herring, as Eddie and the kamperbob article only suggested a rack on the front of the trailer. Yes, a rack on the front of the truck is another option, but no one is suggesting it so far.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #34

Registry
Thanks Brian, was aware that Jared and others were talking about a front of the trailer mount but as you correctly point out a rack at the front of the truck is another option. One used by a number of folks here and something I may consider in the not to distant future. Thus the reason for asking Jim for more details in regards to his comments.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #35

Massachusetts
Carol, you might check out this discussion, lots of opinions.
Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Bikes On Front Of Truck/If You Do, How Do You Like?
Old 09-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #36

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
As Jared already pointed out, the whole subject of racks on the front of the tow vehicle is a bit of a red herring, as Eddie and the kamperbob article only suggested a rack on the front of the trailer. Yes, a rack on the front of the truck is another option, but no one is suggesting it so far.
Kamper Bob carries a small motorcycle on the front of his pickup...
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Bikes On Front Of Truck/If You Do, How Do You Like?
Thanks David - read all that. As suspected the big issue with using a front mounted rack on a truck is the blocking of the lights and line sight issue as I understood it.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #38

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
Airbags should not be an issue in regards to mounting bikes to the front of of your truck. For close to 10 yrs or so, vehicles have used a center mount inertia sensor, not a bumper mount impact sensor.
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
Thanks. That link shows the "print" version which displays responses in a strange order; I found this form easier to follow:
Old 09-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #40

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I'm a bit late here, but I have a nice prorac on my Nissan Frontier. I will post a pic of the rack on a truck from their website. Good people to deal with and have fair prices for a good product. Take a look at Prorac.com.

Click image for larger version

Name:	softtonneau.gif
Views:	26
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	65008
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp