Advice on carrying bicycles with Scamp 5er - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #29

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Here is a link to Kamper Bob web page where he made his front generator rack. Looks like there should be room for a bile rack and two bikes up front above the hitch. EU3k Hitch Mount
Eddie
Not when you turn.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #30

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The post is from 2009 and since then there have been several incidents of front mounted bikes and generators that as a result of being in front had an effect on air bag deployment or failure there of. IMHO I would not want to be in a position where there was an accident with bodily injury either to myself or passenger and have the insurance company raise the flag of improper vehicle modification as a defense. It is better to not give anyone a reason to question your judgement.
I could be wrong, but I'm assuming you're talking on front of the vehicle, right? He's talking on the front of the trailer.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #31

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
I agree with Jared that turning with bicycles mounted on the front of a Scamp 5er would be a problem when turning, especially backing. While the air conditioner might be okay there, bicycles on a rack would be much wider than an ac unit and therefore conflict with tv cab much sooner.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #32

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The post is from 2009 and since then there have been several incidents of front mounted bikes and generators that as a result of being in front had an effect on air bag deployment or failure there of. IMHO I would not want to be in a position where there was an accident with bodily injury either to myself or passenger and have the insurance company raise the flag of improper vehicle modification as a defense. It is better to not give anyone a reason to question your judgement.
Air bag deployment due to front bike racks? Would be interested in reading about such an event and cause of it - any links to stories on it?

Here ever transit but has front bike racks and I know at trailer meets lots of people with trucks use them as well. There are laws governing their use such as how far they can stick out and no obstruction of the headlights or turn signals etc but wasn't aware of any laws prohibiting their use completely or possible loss of insurance for doing so,
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #33

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
As Jared already pointed out, the whole subject of racks on the front of the tow vehicle is a bit of a red herring, as Eddie and the kamperbob article only suggested a rack on the front of the trailer. Yes, a rack on the front of the truck is another option, but no one is suggesting it so far.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #34

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Brian, was aware that Jared and others were talking about a front of the trailer mount but as you correctly point out a rack at the front of the truck is another option. One used by a number of folks here and something I may consider in the not to distant future. Thus the reason for asking Jim for more details in regards to his comments.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #35

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Carol, you might check out this discussion, lots of opinions.
Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Bikes On Front Of Truck/If You Do, How Do You Like?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #36

Name: Fran L and Dave W
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
New Mexico
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
As Jared already pointed out, the whole subject of racks on the front of the tow vehicle is a bit of a red herring, as Eddie and the kamperbob article only suggested a rack on the front of the trailer. Yes, a rack on the front of the truck is another option, but no one is suggesting it so far.
Kamper Bob carries a small motorcycle on the front of his pickup...
Old 09-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #37

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Bikes On Front Of Truck/If You Do, How Do You Like?
Thanks David - read all that. As suspected the big issue with using a front mounted rack on a truck is the blocking of the lights and line sight issue as I understood it.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #38

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
Airbags should not be an issue in regards to mounting bikes to the front of of your truck. For close to 10 yrs or so, vehicles have used a center mount inertia sensor, not a bumper mount impact sensor.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #39

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
Thanks. That link shows the "print" version which displays responses in a strange order; I found this form easier to follow:
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #40

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
I'm a bit late here, but I have a nice prorac on my Nissan Frontier. I will post a pic of the rack on a truck from their website. Good people to deal with and have fair prices for a good product. Take a look at Prorac.com.

Click image for larger version

Name:	softtonneau.gif
Views:	26
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	65008
Old 09-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #41

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Steve, the fixture on the board in Donna's photo is a cast aluminum base bored for a quick release spindle and nut same as that found on your road, mtn., or hybrid securing the hollow axle of the wheel in the dropouts of the fork or the wheel stays in the case of rear wheel.

Most good bike stores sell these. The base containing the spindle bolts to a board or chunk of plywd.; you remove the front wheel and secure the fork to the base by closing the quick release on the spindle. There is some possibility of bending the fork dropouts while underway so additional guying from the head tube or seat post to tie down rings is a good idea. Jared ties off his MTB but with the front wheel in place. I had four of these fork clamping bases mounted on a 2by in the bed of a T-100 and a narrower version with clamps for only two bikes in a 97 4runner. I have never hauled bikes inside the Burro but am guessing that the major obstacle to securing bikes in trailer aisles is handlebar width.

jack
Old 09-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #42

British Columbia
Registry
Saris actually has a custom flat rack that takes the fittings Jack (Rabbit) mentions in his post above. Its called a Sans Traps Triple Track and its 35" wide so should fit in the kitchen floor area of most of your trailers. Just lifts out when not needed...... the only real advantage to using the Saris system over a wooden board is you can move the mounts along the track for best fit in the trailer.

Tags
scamp