Advice on carrying bicycles with Scamp 5er - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Advice on carrying bicycles with Scamp 5er

We have a 2011 Scamp 5er, with a factory installed receiver hitch, being towed with a Nissan Frontier. We had a Slider Bicycle Carrier and replaced it with a Thule. Neither has been satisfactory, bikes get beaten up on both.

Does anyone have any suggestions for carrying two bikes with our setup? The Frontier has a tool box installed, so there's no room in the bed.

Any tips on protecting bikes from weather?

Thanks,
David

Old 09-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #2

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What ever kind of carrier you use just don't B surprised if another camper tells U that U have a nice rack.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #3

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
Just strap them down very, very good beyond what the bike rack has. Tarp straps are the best. Our bikes have been through a lot of miles on the back of our 5ver on a Thule.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 / 2013 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel!!!
British Columbia
How about Thule bike racks on the cab of your truck? They'll still be exposed to the elements though unless you can buy a tight cover for each one.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
look at a Swagman XC "hitch or bumper mount" rack. Camping World has it on sale now for $165, not sure if you have to be a Good Sam member for that price. It's supposed to be rated for rear RV use. I have one that I use on the rear of our Uhaul, and on the tongue of our teardrop. What I like about it is the wheels set in loops, and a hook slides down onto the bike frame. I can use it with one each of a mens & ladies bikes. I did have a problem with my old Ross 27" with the skinny 1 3/8 tires where the loop rubbed a groove across the tire. After that I put the foam pipe insulation on the tires before put the bike on the rack. I also use wire ties around the rack loops and bike wheels to further secure the bikes. Thule makes a similar rack that looks even better but almost double the price. I'm reasonably satisfied with the Swagman rack, but my plan now is to use a pair of the old Thule wheel trays combined with the hold down hooks and post from the Swagman rack. I already have 6 of the Thule trays, and just bought a Swagman post with hooks from etrailer. If you had one of those hitch cargo carriers you could mount the Swagman post in the center and let the bike wheels set on the carrier platform. I also have another 3 bike rack that I bought on ebay from Discount Ramps. The bike wheels set in loops and there are arms that clamp on to the bike top tube, but that rack bent when I used it on the rear of the Uhaul. In general, bikes are just a real pain to haul around.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
In response to Pauls idea about a cover. I just bought one from Uhaul's online store, it's made by Swagman, and was cheaper there than I've seen other places. Haven't taken it out of the box yet so I can't rate it.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #7

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
I have home made rear hitch on frame of my Trillium 1300 with capacity of carrying 4 bicycles on road. All went thru tests and OK. But in reality, all of my camping trips with 4, sometimes 5 bicycles, I kept them INSIDE the trailer with secured tie straps(rubber). The rear dinnete table is set up, 4/5bicycles will be one wheel on the table, other wheel on the floor and securely strapped. That way, all the weights will be right at the axle, no sway of trailer on high speed of HW driving. All of my camping trips went smooth with this kind of set up. Just share with you...
Old 09-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #8

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
How about inside?
Attached Thumbnails
InsideBikeRack-1.jpg   InsideBikeRack-2.jpg  

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #9

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Donna's inside scheme would be best both for the bikes and for trailer stability. Another option often used with large 5th wheel trailers is a rack mounted to the front of the trailer, attached to the pinbox (or in this case the tongue); this requires generous clearance between trailer and tongue, which seems unlikely with a Frontier. The ride up front would be much smoother than out back.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #10

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
What Donna said, throw them inside.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Thanks for everyone's input. I like the idea of a roof rack on the truck, but since ours didn't have a factory installed rack, putting one on now would difficult and/or expensive. The receiver racks that hold the wheels seem like they would be easier on the bikes, but would still do some bouncing. I guess we'll try putting them inside for our trip to the Copake rally, but getting two bikes in and out will be challenging. Probably will be easier with front wheels removed. Like in most things, compromise is needed.
David
Old 09-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #12

New York
David, I'll put my Swagman rack on the Uhaul for the Copake rally so you can see how it works. I'll even put a bike on it, but I haven't planned on doing any riding. There is a rail trail bike path in the area, and it starts near the foot trail up to Bash Bish Falls. Bob
Old 09-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I was going to say that Jared carries everything but the kitchen sink, but I see the kitchen sink......
Old 09-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #14

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was going to say that Jared carries everything but the kitchen sink, but I see the kitchen sink......

Jared is the master of getting it all inside ,now he never said he could take it OUT.

Jared just having some fun.....love your camper and all your travel ideas for your toys.

Tags
scamp