Advice on ensolite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Advice on ensolite

Just finished installing ensolite in the love bug and would like to give 2cents on the install for anyone contemplating it . I purchased the foam from the foam factory in mich was very convenient for me as only a 20min drive for me to pick up I purchasd a 1/4 inch roll for a hundred bucks they also have it in1/8 for about 60 dollars . There is enough mat in a roll to do a 13 foot almost twice so you don't have to worry to much about mistake cuts which I made a few times ( remember the adage measure twice cut once not here try measure 3/4/5 times as round coroners require carefully measuring.) I used the 3m 77 glue on the mat sprayed it on both sides liberally and applied to the ceiling first . It went on fairly easy and seemed to bond fairly well so I left it over night to see how it would stick before doing any more. In the morning I went to check and to my surprise 3/4 quarters of the mat had fallen off . Probably the 1/8 mat would of stayed but the 1/4 inch was to heavy for that glue. I went to oriellys auto to search for a better glue found they had 3m advanced headliner glue at 21bucks a can but worth every bit as it held the mat very well and did not come loose. Used it on the rest of the walls and it worked very well . The foam looked almost good enough to leave as is but the seams had allot of varying color as the foam discolars easily from any sun contact so I decided to paint it I used bin 123 primer and acrilyc semi gloss and it turned out better than I could of amagined .hope this info helps anyone contemplating this
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
When reattaching mine, I found that by keeping pressure on the ensolite overnight or longer, I got better results. I used pillows and foam supported by thin plywood and wood braces to keep moderate pressure on the curved shapes.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Thats great info Mike. Good to know about the headliner glue as I have a few bits of ensolite to reattach more firmly. Thanks.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
The 3M 90 would probably have been better as it has a higher adhesive strength.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #5

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Hey Mike, do you have any photos you can share? I would like to see how it turned out. Thanks.
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Did the ensolite you bought have the "skin" on it too or was it just the foam that you can now paint? Bolers had the foam with the off white skin on them.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:18 AM   #7

Name: Morgyn
Nova Scotia
Love these forums! I have some of the seams covers lifting and some of the ensolite at the bottom unglued. Now I know what to use when I get to that part of the repairs!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
morgynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #8

Name: Barbe
West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Just finished installing ensolite in the love bug and would like to give 2cents on the install for anyone contemplating it . I purchased the foam from the foam factory in mich was very convenient for me as only a 20min drive for me to pick up I purchasd a 1/4 inch roll for a hundred bucks they also have it in1/8 for about 60 dollars . There is enough mat in a roll to do a 13 foot almost twice so you don't have to worry to much about mistake cuts which I made a few times

Hi, thanks for this post.... am getting ready to modiy the layout of my 72 Boler, it's at the fiberglass body shop now. The ensolite in my Boler is in great shape but when he removes the couch to make it into a small dinette for me, there will be a gap in my ensolite that was hidden by the fiberglass couch. I was wondering if they still made this product. I don't live near Michigan (in WVa) & I definitely don't need to buy an entire roll but if you are willing, I'd gladly purchase some of your leftover ensolite, enough to fill in the missing section & a little extra,that is if you are interested in selling any of it.
Barbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:21 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Hi barbe I do have lots of leftover material but the foam does not have the skin on it it is also 1/4 inch thick and I believe the original boler ensolite was 1/8 thick you',d be welcome to have some but it might show a difference . I was also on the kijji Ontario under bolers for sale and someone was selling a few yards of original ensolite you may want to look that up and see if it is still available
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #10

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Hello all I am a newbie in the FG world an am unsure what Ensolite is maybe you can help. I just bought an Amerigo that is completely gutted and I have started the remodel. I am racking my brain trying to come up with the best material to insulate my walls and possible my roof. Is this Ensolite the magic stuff I need? it sounds like it is an insulator and can be painted to finish. If that is so I would not have to cover my walls with a paneling. Any info would be awesome!!!
We all love pic so I attached what I am working on
Attached Thumbnails
inside amergo 1.JPG   Amerigo1.jpg  

hotrodaj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Ensolite was what Trillium, and Boler insulated their trailers with in the late 60's and through out the 70's, and early 80's. It is a black foam, which was covered by a layer of off white vinyl.

It should be noted that as insulation goes, it is not the best, but it is fairly light and it blocks light from shining through the fibreglass. All it was really meant to do was keep the condensation down.

The black foam is still available, but no vinyl layer. I can be painted with a vinyl paint after it is installed though.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #12

Indiana
Thanks David for the info! It sounds like Ensolite is not the material I am looking for. I would like something that has some type of R rating. Can you or anyone else suggest a material that is pliable to fit the contours of the body. Thanks in advance
Old 08-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodaj31 View Post
Thanks David for the info! It sounds like Ensolite is not the material I am looking for. I would like something that has some type of R rating. Can you or anyone else suggest a material that is pliable to fit the contours of the body. Thanks in advance
Scamp uses a foil-bubble-type insulation - double layer, I believe - covered with marine hull liner (aka "rat fur"). I like it in our trailer - it is soft to the touch, washable and mildew-resistant, and seems to hold up well.

Both products can be ordered from Scamp or are available from a number of other suppliers. I'm pretty sure the Reflectix foil insulation at Lowes or Home Depot is functionally the same as what Scamp uses.
Scamp's version: https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-...ft-detail.html
Reflectix at Lowes: Shop Reflectix 25-ft x 48-in Double Reflective Insulation at Lowes.com
Lowes indicates an insulating value of R-3.7 for a single layer, which is about 0.3" thick. I'm pretty sure that's significantly better than closed-cell foam of the same thickness.** By most accounts I've read on this forum it is easier to work with than ensolite, and the marine carpet is thin and stretchable. Since there are multiple layers to install, though, the overall labor may be a wash.

Neither option (ensolite or reflectix) is going to produce a true four-season trailer. Scamp claims R-15 on their website - not sure how how they get to that, even assuming a double layer of Reflectix, plus a small contribution from trapped air in the rat fur and perhaps a bit from the fiberglass shell as well??

Whatever you decide, choose your adhesive carefully. I've read unfortunate accounts of finding a week's labor hanging from the ceiling when left in the sun on a good, hot day.

** EDIT - Did a bit more fact-checking… There seems to be some evidence that R-value claims for the foil-bubble-type insulation are significantly overstated by manufacturers - may be no better than closed-cell foam after all.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #14

Indiana
Well after the info provided I made a trip to Menards (home improvement mecca of the Midwest) and found reflexctix and and marine haul liner. First off the reflectix, seems very easy to work with and price is not bad $25 for 50 square foot. It doesn't offer the R rating I hoped for but I really only need 3 season insulation. As for the marine haul liner (rat fur or boat carpet) awesome stuff!! I found it offered in 4 colors gray,black,deep red and the color I will be using light beige. The best part is the material has a vinyl coating on the inside which will work as a vapor barrier and will assist in raising the R rating. Oh and the price not bad at all .....50 cents per square foot all in all I have found my insulation and finish wall covering. Now to find the best adhesive.