Advice on parts - '76 Scamp 3-piece windows - flap type - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Registry
Question Advice on parts - '76 Scamp 3-piece windows - flap type

I have a '76 Scamp 13 footer in pretty good shape now. The two end windows are 3-panel aluminum frame with the center panel hinged at the top. These plastic windows apparently had a swing arm attached to either side that was used to both prop open the windows and to latch them shut. But those arms are missing. I see no markings to identify the manufacturer.
I've tried a couple of online sources. Scamp isn't helpful. So have any of you found a source for these arms and the latch that goes with them?
Thank you.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #2

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
I have a '76 Scamp 13 footer in pretty good shape now. The two end windows are 3-panel aluminum frame with the center panel hinged at the top. These plastic windows apparently had a swing arm attached to either side that was used to both prop open the windows and to latch them shut. But those arms are missing. I see no markings to identify the manufacturer.
I'm not sure what you mean about plastic windows but if they are aluminum, did you ever see Jenny's thread on these windows (Donna linked to it in a previous thread where you asked but I couldn't tell if you came back and saw it)? She showed how she was able to modify some currently available arms and other parts to make the windows work:

Window seals & hardware for 76 Scamp tilt out windows

Old 10-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Mike,

I'm not sure what you mean about plastic windows but if they are aluminum, did you ever see Jenny's thread on these windows (Donna linked to it in a previous thread where you asked but I couldn't tell if you came back and saw it)? She showed how she was able to modify some currently available arms and other parts to make the windows work:

Window seals & hardware for 76 Scamp tilt out windows

Plastic - meaning plexi.
Mike,
Yep, I feel your pain. I had to figure it out myself. Scamp was not helpful and they are so rare, that you have to make your own. After I had fixed mine, someone mentioned toolbox hinges. Not sure if they would work with the little slot it has to go through.
Good luck! Show us some pics if you get a chance.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #4

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
I've tried a couple of online sources. Scamp isn't helpful. So have any of you found a source for these arms and the latch that goes with them?
Thank you.
If you mean the windows like on the LoveBug below, you can buy hinges made for toolbox lids at your local hardware store which are easy to modify and work just like originals...
Attached Thumbnails
06_30_3.jpg   06_30_0.JPEG  

Old 10-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If you mean the windows like on the LoveBug below, you can buy hinges made for toolbox lids at your local hardware store which are easy to modify and work just like originals...
How did you attach the hinges to the window?
It's interesting to see how similar my Scamp is to your Love Bug. Since mine was missing the decals I've wondered if it's not a Scamp. But the vin number confirms that it is.
Nice awning by the way. Is it a 7' or 6'-6"? I'm making one and just cut my pvc awning rail to be 6.5', but debating on whether to make the shade 7'.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #6

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny W. View Post
It's interesting to see how similar my Scamp is to your Love Bug. Since mine was missing the decals I've wondered if it's not a Scamp. But the vin number confirms that it is.
I understand you've already confirmed yours is a Scamp, but I thought you might like to see this photo I took of what is almost certainly a Scamp a few years ago. Too bad I didn't get the door side too!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scamp tri windows.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	31694

Raya
Old 10-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #7

Oregon
Registry
Smile

Thank you for the information! The helpfulness on this site is the best.

Quote:
Plastic - meaning plexi.
Mike,
Yep, I feel your pain. I had to figure it out myself. Scamp was not helpful and they are so rare, that you have to make your own. After I had fixed mine, someone mentioned toolbox hinges. Not sure if they would work with the little slot it has to go through.
Good luck! Show us some pics if you get a chance.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #8

Oregon
Registry
So I ordered the bulb seal, Hehr link levers, and the spline seal. And it seems that the bulb seal is a little too large to slide into the groove. And I should have taken some photos of how the spline seal works because either I have the wrong spline seal or am just to challenged to figure out how it goes back. If anyone has any photos of the assembly of the center/moveable flap window please let me know. Thank you.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #9

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
How did you attach the hinges to the window?
Nice awning by the way. Is it a 7' or 6'-6"? I'm making one and just cut my pvc awning rail to be 6.5', but debating on whether to make the shade 7'.
Sorry ; I must have lost track of this thread<_<
Scamp used those windows for what I think was the 1976 model year only. The awning on the LoveBug is a 7' bag awning attached with a regular awning rail.. It reaches out 6ft from the trailer
It has been so long since we did that trailer that I have forgotten whether I used small screws and nuts or "pop" rivets to attach the arms. I think it was pop rivets but I'm not sure. I've been building cars all my life and a lot of "fixes" just get done and forgotten
Old 11-14-2010, 12:44 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
So I ordered the bulb seal, Hehr link levers, and the spline seal. And it seems that the bulb seal is a little too large to slide into the groove. And I should have taken some photos of how the spline seal works because either I have the wrong spline seal or am just to challenged to figure out how it goes back. If anyone has any photos of the assembly of the center/moveable flap window please let me know. Thank you.
I used a very small flat head screw driver to push the foot of the bulb seal into the channel. The seal is flexible, so it should just fall in.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #11

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I used a very small flat head screw driver to push the foot of the bulb seal into the channel. The seal is flexible, so it should just fall in.
I'll take a shot at it again, although the part that slips into the groove appears to be much too large. The old seal is dried and shrunken so it's hard to compare them.

I guess you replaced the spline seal that holds the acrylic (I think it's acrylic) window in place? Do you happen to know what brand/model of spline seal you used?

Thank you
Old 11-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
I'll take a shot at it again, although the part that slips into the groove appears to be much too large. The old seal is dried and shrunken so it's hard to compare them.

I guess you replaced the spline seal that holds the acrylic (I think it's acrylic) window in place? Do you happen to know what brand/model of spline seal you used?

Thank you
Did you buy the "jalouise bulb seal" from VTS? I remember seeing that they had 2 types of bulb seals. Not sure if the other one would work.
I would put one side of the foot into the channel and then push & slide with the screw driver.
The spline is the 5/16" drop in glazing spline from www.swisco.com. It's gray - picture makes it look brown.

Tags
scamp, windows