Advice/Opinions Needed-Trillium Belly Band - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2016, 11:19 PM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: Trillium
California
Advice/Opinions Needed-Trillium Belly Band

I haven't posted in nearly a year and haven't done much to my trailer thanks to having to remove over 20 ponderosa pines on my property that were killed by bark beetle and the California drought. However, I can now get back to my project at hand.

I have a 2014 Trillium that is basically an empty shell. I have inspected the belly band area (exterior & interior) and it looks to be in great shape. So, should I go ahead and remove the rivets and fill the holes. Or, should I leave it be and fix it in 10-20 years? There isn't any insulation yet so I have easy access to most of the metal backing plates except for the galley and front dinette area. I think With easy access to the interior side of the belly band I may be able to add fg to strengthen the seam.

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
BASE1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASE1360 View Post
I haven't posted in nearly a year and haven't done much to my trailer thanks to having to remove over 20 ponderosa pines on my property that were killed by bark beetle and the California drought. However, I can now get back to my project at hand.

I have a 2014 Trillium that is basically an empty shell. I have inspected the belly band area (exterior & interior) and it looks to be in great shape. So, should I go ahead and remove the rivets and fill the holes. Or, should I leave it be and fix it in 10-20 years? There isn't any insulation yet so I have easy access to most of the metal backing plates except for the galley and front dinette area. I think With easy access to the interior side of the belly band I may be able to add fg to strengthen the seam.

Our 73 amerigo was completely gutted...if we had it to do over again, we certainly would add fg and strengthen that belly band seam--and make it more watertight!

Good luck with your project! Sounds like you're capable of very hard work--that'll serve you well!
Old 07-19-2016, 06:41 AM   #3

Name: Randy J.
Ontario
Did you say this is a 2014 Trillium? I'm curious to know why it is 'gutted'. In any case, we have a 1976 Tril which we bought three years ago and so far as I can determine, the body band and the roof vent are the only two potential openings that have not leaked at some point. I did clean it up and replace the calking as a precaution. If you think it's worthwhile however, there is a thread somewhere on this site from someone else that has done it. Doesn't sound like too difficult a job if the walls are bare, inside and out.
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASE1360 View Post

All it takes is time and money

I think because you don't have a current issue what you are really asking is "how likely is it to leak in the future?"

My personal instinct would be to go for it if it seems a likely possibility for leaking at the belly band based on previous postings about Trillium issues. It would be a useful time to search the archives for other common issues with that trailer since you do have it pretty much gutted at present. Might as well swat lots of flies while you can.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:27 AM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy J. View Post
Did you say this is a 2014 Trillium? I'm curious to know why it is 'gutted'. In any case, we have a 1976 Tril which we bought three years ago and so far as I can determine, the body band and the roof vent are the only two potential openings that have not leaked at some point. I did clean it up and replace the calking as a precaution. If you think it's worthwhile however, there is a thread somewhere on this site from someone else that has done it. Doesn't sound like too difficult a job if the walls are bare, inside and out.
This trailer was used by Trillium U.S. to prototype a front bathroom layout before the company was sold to Great West Vans. It was never finished out and sold to a person who wanted a clean slate for a build. Plans changed for that owner and I became the 2nd owner.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:47 AM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
All it takes is time and money

I think because you don't have a current issue what you are really asking is "how likely is it to leak in the future?"

My personal instinct would be to go for it if it seems a likely possibility for leaking at the belly band based on previous postings about Trillium issues. It would be a useful time to search the archives for other common issues with that trailer since you do have it pretty much gutted at present. Might as well swat lots of flies while you can.
I am thinking along those same lines. From what I have read common problems are rotten window frames (mine will be new), lack of roof support (galley side), belly band and door hinges. My door hinges are mounted to metal plates already glassed in and I will be adding roof support to the galley. I guess I am unsure about the belly band as I haven't seen any posts of fixes that have been on the road awhile. It seems that the structural integrity of the belly band is debatable and I would feel more comfortable knowing the fix would last me as long or longer than the original design. I am not interested in creating a possible worse situation when I know the current design should get me down the road awhile.

Maybe I am overthinking this scenario as my knowledge and experience of fg is limited.

Thanks for your input.

Tags
trillium