Advice Please; Used Casita 17SD vs. Escape 17B - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
Posts: 63
Advice Please; Used Casita 17SD vs. Escape 17B

The DW, and I are interested in getting one of these two trailers. My inquiry runs the gamut from trailer weight to bathroom size. Our tow vehicle is a 2011 Honda Odyssey, it has a 3.5L motor & 218 HP, rated for 3500 lb tow weight. With TV's modest capability the Escape seems to have the edge, as its total dry weight is 475 pounds less than the Casita. How much of a difference will that make when I drive to Yosemite or Rocky Mt. National Park? Some other Escape advantages are it is 10" longer, and the aisle width is more generous. Is it 2" more in the Escape? Some have said that the dinette on the opposite end of the trailer is nice, why is that better than the Casita's? The Escape seems to have more storage inside, or does it really? One Casita Advantage is that it has a wider bed, 54" to 49." Do some of you set up two beds at night in the Escape? We would like to sleep together with our dog in the same bed. She is a 53 lb bulldog mix. Also, the Casita has a bigger bathroom. I am 5'11," will I have trouble standing up straight to shower in either of these units? One plus of the Casita is it is less expensive to buy a used one than a used Escape. I'll look forward to you feedback.
__________________

__________________
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
Couple of people on Escape Trailer Owners Community have recently switched from Casita to Escape. You might post your question there so you get answers from people who have recently made a choice.
__________________

__________________
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
Posts: 63
Thanks, Glenn: It is now posted on the Escape Community. I will also post it on the Casita Club. I am neutral on the topic and just wanting to get the best value in a used one that I can.
__________________
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Charles View Post
Our tow vehicle is a 2011 Honda Odyssey, it has a 3.5L motor & 218 HP, rated for 3500 lb tow weight. With TV's modest capability the Escape seems to have the edge, as its total dry weight is 475 pounds less than the Casita. How much of a difference will that make when I drive to Yosemite or Rocky Mt. National Park?
I own a 2003 Honda Odyssey that I purchased new. I feel it is a very capable tow vehicle. It will get the trailer to wherever you want to put it, *but* depending on the speed at which you climb mountains it will cost you in fuel "economy". My Odyssey could tow my Fiber Stream across Kansas at 55 mph and get 17-18 mpg. OTOH on one trip when I went from Denver to Boise and kicked it up to 75 mph because I was running behind schedule, the Odyssey pulled well but only got 8-9 mpg.

Check out Trailer Weights in the Real World.

I have known Odyssey owners who towed Casitas with weight distributing hitches, but the higher hitch weights of some Casitas are problematic.
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Posts: 1,351
I have a Casita 17 SD that we bought used and are very happy with it. The PO had completed a lot of good mods to it. They are tongue heavy though, when I weighed ours in the summer packed for a short trip (no water in tanks) total 3220 tongue 380.
I have had several different brands and liked them all for different reasons but I would say the Casita is the best match so far. Haven't had an Escape yet though!

Part of it will depend on how soon you want to camp and how much you want to pay. As you know there are a lot more Casita's on the used market at lower prices than the Escapes. You could always buy what you see first and probably sell it for the same price if it doesn't meet your needs and try a different one.They have great resale value.
My husband is 6ft and can stand up when showering (not sure how straight he is ) in the Casita but it is a smaller space. We do like the bigger bed for sure. I really like the side dinette but it is the first time we have one so nothing to compare it too.
Have you called Escape and asked to see one in your area as that could help with your decision.
Good luck.
__________________
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I own a 2003 Honda Odyssey that I purchased new. I feel it is a very capable tow vehicle. It will get the trailer to wherever you want to put it, *but* depending on the speed at which you climb mountains it will cost you in fuel "economy". My Odyssey could tow my Fiber Stream across Kansas at 55 mph and get 17-18 mpg. OTOH on one trip when I went from Denver to Boise and kicked it up to 75 mph because I was running behind schedule, the Odyssey pulled well but only got 8-9 mpg.
Sounds like you paid big to get to Boise quicker! How many feet long is your Fiber Stream?
Quote:

Check out Trailer Weights in the Real World

I have known Odyssey owners who towed Casitas with weight distributing hitches, but the higher hitch weights of some Casitas are problematic.
What if I put on rear air support for the leaf springs?
__________________
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
I have a Casita 17 SD that we bought used and are very happy with it. The PO had completed a lot of good mods to it. They are tongue heavy though, when I weighed ours in the summer packed for a short trip (no water in tanks) total 3220 tongue 380.
I have had several different brands and liked them all for different reasons but I would say the Casita is the best match so far. Haven't had an Escape yet though!
Part of it will depend on how soon you want to camp and how much you
want to pay. As you know there are a lot more Casita's on the used market at lower prices than the Escapes. You could always buy what you see first and probably sell it for the same price if it doesn't meet your needs and try a different one.They have great resale value.
My husband is 6ft and can stand up when showering (not sure how straight he is ) in the Casita but it is a smaller space. We do like the bigger bed for sure. I really like the side dinette but it is the first time we have one so nothing to compare it too.
Have you called Escape and asked to see one in your area as that could help with your decision.
Good luck.
[SIZE="4"]Thanks for your input. I should think that there are more used Casitas than Escapes, because I'd guess Casita historically sells more units. As for buying and reselling I'd rather get it right the first time. I did call Escape and they were quite helpful in commenting but pretty neutral because I will buy used. I doubt they want to refer me to one of their customers because I won't buy new. We went in a 19' Escape and they are really nice, just beyond the budget.

Thank you.
__________________
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
Last I looked, there was a used Escape 15 on the Escape Trailer Industries web site.
Wife and I sleep in the 17B bed along with a 40lb. beagle. She is very accommodating and finds space between our feet at the bottom of the bed.
My 17B comes in with a hitch weight of 312 - 320 lbs and I use a WDH on the RAV4 ( which has a hitch max of 350 lbs. ).
Member Derek installed air bags on his RAV4 and then got a WDH.
__________________
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
Member
 
J.F.Y.'s Avatar
 
Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Posts: 42
Steve.....

We have a 2007 Casita 17 SD. Our tow vehicle (2010 Tundra 5.7 liter.) is carried over from an earlier, larger trailer, so we are overtrucked, and have no tow capacity issues.

Based on our earlier years of experience, however, I believe your Odyssey would be very marginal as a TV for a 17' Casita. The old rule that one should have 10-15% more tow capacity than the loaded trailer's weight pretty well defines what produces a comfortable ongoing towing experience.

Frank
__________________
J.F.Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Last I looked, there was a used Escape 15 on the Escape Trailer Industries web site.
Wife and I sleep in the 17B bed along with a 40lb. beagle. She is very accommodating and finds space between our feet at the bottom of the bed.
My 17B comes in with a hitch weight of 312 - 320 lbs and I use a WDH on the RAV4 ( which has a hitch max of 350 lbs. ).
Member Derek installed air bags on his RAV4 and then got a WDH.
Hitch weight in my owners manual states it is ideal for it to be 10% of the two vehicles weight. Less or more could cause problems. I have done a lot of research online in different forums and folks with 17' Casitas and Honda Odyssey are doing fine, even in the mountains. I'll just need to use the following: WDH, Sway Bar, Prodigy Brake Controller, Trans Cooler & maybe a power steering cooler and air lift for the rear leaf springs. One guy uses an a K and N air filter for increased performance, I'll probably do that too.

I am probably looking at a Casita based on availability being better than an Escape.

This is a great forum and all of the support is much appreciated.
__________________
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
Not sure that you would need the air lift if you have the WDH.
__________________
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Okay, you're concerned about a bathroom size.. really? My sticks 'n bricks home... I could invite 6 people inside the shower and you know what?... I (we) can get just as clean if the bathroom was the size of a telephone booth and/or if it was just me. Every inch you put into an all molded towable bathroom.. has to come from somewhere. I prefer a bigger bed or more/larger cabinet space for storage. I can use a toilet or get clean in a "shower" that is a HECK of a lot smaller than I expect.. think "Navy." How much time do expect to spend inside there anyway every single day vs other areas?
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Okay, you're concerned about a bathroom size.. really? My sticks 'n bricks home... I could invite 6 people inside the shower and you know what?... I (we) can get just as clean if the bathroom was the size of a telephone booth and/or if it was just me. Every inch you put into an all molded towable bathroom.. has to come from somewhere. I prefer a bigger bed or more/larger cabinet space for storage. I can use a toilet or get clean in a "shower" that is a HECK of a lot smaller than I expect.. think "Navy." How much time do expect to spend inside there anyway every single day vs other areas?
I've had a good laugh about your question! You have a good point about the space utilization. I'll be thinking of that and also reconsidering a 16' Scamp.
__________________
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Charles View Post

I am probably looking at a Casita based on availability being better than an Escape.
Here's the thing, Escapes are like most Canadians and they are snow birds and tend to head south ;-) you actually have a far better chance of finding yourself a nice used 17' Escape in California, Arizona and Oregon than you finding one in BC where they are built. I know as I have been watching the used market for the past year - you actually just missed out by a month on a very nice one in Arizona.
__________________

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
casita, escape


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 Escape 17B Modifications Jon Vermilye Modifications, Alterations and Updates 2 04-08-2014 01:09 AM
Escape 17B Wanted laureno Wanted: Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers 1 04-29-2013 08:56 PM
Looking for a 17B Escape fisher Wanted: Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers 2 04-13-2013 10:29 PM
BC | 2008 Escape 17B for sale BC Paul Classified Archives 2 01-20-2012 08:33 PM
SOLD - 2005 Casita 17SD in Davis, CA Spencer Berry Classified Archives 1 02-14-2009 07:14 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.