Advise on Foam for cushions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Tent
Thumbs up

I have been shopping around for new foam to replace the original cushions in my '82 Burro. Obviously I will need to buy custom cut foam or cut from a sheet of foam myself.

I just came across a local ad for foam that seams to be what I need to cut my own. I am wondering if this is a good deal, and if there is anything else I need to consider.

3-1/4" x 33" x 72" described as 100% Polyurethane Foam, Cot size, "This piece is thick enough to sleep on and be comfortable".

I figure I would need three sheets at $39.99 each. $120 seams reasonable, but I am having a hard time find any foam locally to compare.

Your thoughts are appreciated, as is any advise on this job.

Thanks

Mike
Old 04-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I'm a person who likes numbers and facts, so I like foam places that give them to you. (I'm also kind of a fussy sleeper.)

As such, I really appreciated the info posted on the "Foam Sweet Foam" website (and they were helpful on the phone too, when I couldn't decide what to get), and so I ordered from them. Shipping and cutting was included in the purchase price (I think order had to be over $100 for free shipping). I didn't go mad price shopping, but it seemed reasonable for what I got.

They give you the density rating (how "heavy" and "quality" it feels), and the ILD number (Indentation Load Deflection which is a specific rating) on their "foam facts" page. If you go to "custom cut foam" there is a grid where you can plug in sizes and types and get a price. I ordered the "high resiliency" level of foam (not memory and not latex).

I ordered rectangles to cut myself, so I'm not sure about getting odd sizes, but I would think that the "custom cut" part would cover that I found it easy to cut with an electric carving (turkey) knife I bought from eBay. One tip is to cut it slightly larger than a strict pattern of the space or covers, so that it "plumps" the covers when you put it in.

www.foamsweetfoam.com

One thing I would suggest based on my own hindsight (and because comfort is so subjective and you can't really know until you've been lying on it for six hours), would be to get, say, two 2" pieces instead of one 4" piece. That way you can order two different densities and layer them for custom comfort. I ordered one 4" piece and it is a bit too firm (and impossible to slice in half that way). I will probably end up re-ordering and going the two-2"-piece route (I don't think the price difference would be that great). I believe that the covers will hold the layers together.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #3

Thanks Raya, I have the foamsweetfoam website open in another tab, and will look through for more information. I like the idea of the two 2" pieces of different density, but wonder if you have to adhere the two pieces together to avoid slipping and sliding. This could be a great way to allow two sleepers comfort. If I want it firmer than DW, I could put the firm side up, she could have the soft side up. This may be the best of both worlds. I wonder is there is some form of spray adhesive that would glue the two sides together?

Hmmm, even more thoughts and ideas, thanks for you input.

Mike

PS its nice to see that there is at least one other person on the East Coast, seems like the members of this forum tilts to the West. I wonder why that could be?
Old 04-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Here's another place for you to try as i used to fabricate cushions in a past life and the medium grade is probably what your looking for
Joe

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Foam/Fo...alue/index.html

Update: Mike.... Two pieces of foam can be easily joined together with 3M Spray Adhesive and i usually cut my foam with a plain hacksaw blade turned backwards so that it cuts on the pull stroke instead of the push stroke.... but a electric knife also works well..... when trying to stuff the foam into the cushion if it is very tight just wrap it in Saran wrap and it will easily slide in and then you just pull out the saran wrap when the foam is in place.
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #5

Joe, thanks. The pricing here looks good, I suspect that the local store has salvage/surplus foam, and may not be consistent from piece to piece. I like to quantity pricing for 3+ sheets. I noticed the Poly Wrap link as well, am I supposed to wrap the foam with batting? My originals weren't but wouldn't have thought of it either? I hope to not have to redo these very often.

Mike

PS you replied just to show me that there are people on the east coast, and that I haven't been reading all of the signatures, right?
Old 04-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #6

I have in the past bought foam and had the seams glued together (although in the opposite orientation when they had to make a wider piece). You would never know the glue is there, texture-wise, and the foam "squishes" in the same way it would if it were one piece.

I had previously bought two 1-1/2" thick pieces of foam for camping (pre-egg) to use as one 3" piece, and I never did glue them together. Because it was raw foam on raw foam (and even without a fitted cover), they didn't tend to slip. I would think the cover would keep them together and then you could try them different ways (and maybe glue them once you decided... or not).

I got their "firm" foam (34 ILD at FSF) in one 4" slab, and it is a bit too firm. But I'm not sure the medium would be firm enough for me (I like a firm bed and when I used to have to stay in hotels - which I hate - I would often drag the top mattress off onto the floor to firm it up). I think I'm just going to order 2" of firm and 2" of medium (26 ILD at FSF) now, but of course it's all very subjective.

I don't know why most of the eggers are elsewhere; it's weird, isn't it? Maybe because the camping is better in Canada and the west (more open space, that is)? There sure weren't many for sale in these-here parts.

Raya

PS: Thanks for the additional tips, Joe.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #7

Mike...... You don't need to wrap it in batting. That is mostly for those high priced fancy wing arm chairs that you see in homes. foam only is fine and you could join the two different type pieces of foam if you like.
Joe
PS: Aside from my home on the east coast i also have a small home in Arizona i share with my son
Old 04-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #8

Accidentallyposted half way through typing, see lower post.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #9

Erg, I guess that is a bit more expensive to buy the two pieces. Do you use both the rear and front beds for sleeping? If not, maybe you could splurge on the bed piec(es), and go with one slab for the couch.

I think I'm still going to go with the two pieces, because I'm such a fussbudget about sleeping, but that will just be for one large slab (for the dinette-as-bed). The couch (or front dinette should I make one) will probably get my current piece, or a solid slab of medium.

I was also looking at perhaps a 2" slab of firm foam with a medium latex topper. I haven't tried latex before and am interested in it. Most places seem to have just "soft" toppers and only the thicker mattresses come in different firmnesses, but I did find a place that has them:

http://sleeplikeabear.com/talalay_latex_toppers.html

They aren't cheap, so I'm still waffling.

Meanwhile, I have a real Princess and the Pea arrangement, with the 4" thick firm foam, a 1-1/2" soft piece I had left over from camping before, and a Thermarest type camping mattress on top. That's going to have to go though, as it's about a mile high!
Old 04-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #10

I looked a Joe's link and found the following:
Spray Advisive, so I guess you can glue two sheets together.

Foam Medium Firm HR 3319, 4 inch by 24 inch by 72 inch $35.88 $107.64
Freight: $41.99
Total: $146.63
or
Foam Firm HR 4128, 2 inch by 24 inch by 72 inch $28.88 $86.64
Foam Medium Firm HR 3331, 2 inch by 24 inch by 72 inch $35.88 $107.64
Freight: $57.77
Total: $252.05

So shopping here getting a single sheet or two different sheets of half thickness is about $100 difference.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #11

The Burro was too easy for a front dinette, I found a small octagonal table top in Dad's garage, just needed to add the post holder at the bottom, the original storage spot for a port-o-potty left the leg room. I only use the Burro when there are one or two of us camping so we only sleep in the back. I don't want to go with a single mattress piece back there as I like the flexibility and storage of bed or table. No one would sleep on the front dinette or couch (none of the three teenage boys would go with us alone) So that is used for seating or eating only.

In the larger camper we had memory foam toppers, they were great, except when it gets cold. The Roo has heated mattresses so its either somewhat comfortable and very warm, or very comfortable and risk of cold. We love the memory foam toppers, and bring them when we know it will be warm anyhow.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #12

Just for the heck of it look at this link from the same company but they already cut it into 4"x24"x24" pieces with different weight comparisons.
Joe

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Foam/Fo..._x_4/index.html
Old 04-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Mike...... You don't need to wrap it in batting. That is mostly for those high priced fancy wing arm chairs that you see in homes. foam only is fine and you could join the two different type pieces of foam if you like.
Joe
PS: Aside from my home on the east coast i also have a small home in Arizona i share with my son
Thanks for the input, good too know about the batting as well as joining two pieces. Best of both worlds, how often to you get back and forth between the homes? Seasonal shift?
Old 04-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for the input, good too know about the batting as well as joining two pieces. Best of both worlds, how often to you get back and forth between the homes? Seasonal shift?
I'm from the east but lived exclusively out there (arizona) for a while but came back for the grandkids..... I should have stayed there as i really liked it alot....within the next three years will be out there permanently again. I miss the Desert and get out there about twice a year.
Joe
Old 04-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #15

Quote:
I don't know why most of the eggers are elsewhere; it's weird, isn't it? Maybe because the camping is better in Canada and the west (more open space, that is)? There sure weren't many for sale in these-here parts.
Different maybe, more space yes, better not sure. I have to say I love the change in scenery and weather without having to travel very far, so New England is it for me. I would be nice if there were more public or government owned land, but there are a few state campgrounds around here. Other than my Egg I think I have only seen two others, and both after I bought mine. I was shocked recently to see a Burro just like mine two towns over.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #16

Yeah, "better" probably wasn't the best way to say it. I guess I meant something more like "easier" in that there are fewer people, more campsites per capita, and less traffic (in general, although there are some places with plenty of it). I'm from Minnesota and I see a lot more campers around there (although still not too many eggs).

There are some awfully pretty places here on the East Coast.

Raya
Old 04-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm from the east but lived exclusively out there (arizona) for a while but came back for the grandkids..... I should have stayed there as i really liked it alot....within the next three years will be out there permanently again. I miss the Desert and get out there about twice a year.
Joe
I've never had the pleasure of seeing the desert, closest I came was Colorado and California. I will say I loved the drive to San Fransisco and back (15 years ago). Like many work, kids, and life prevent long travel, but that's why we all look forward to retirement, right? We escaped two years ago for a month (with all three kids), it was a miracle that I was able to be away that long from work, but cell phones and the internet helped. We were able to camp the east coast from Massachusetts to Florida and back. When we planned the trip we knew it was a once in a lifetime trip (before the kids head off for college, etc).

I hope that once we retire, if that day ever comes, we will get to see more and more of this great country.