After Christmas Sales - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
I'm hoping to be able to take advantage of some end of the year sales to outfit my Scamp--and as I'm making my lists, Want and Need are becoming hopelessly entertwined. I found some old posts about microwaves and toaster ovens, but they didn't seem to answer my question, so I'm asking what may be a repeat: What have you found to be most useful? I won't be mounting or installing it--it'll just sit on my counter--and I don't really have room for both. I can see the pros and cons of both of them. I'm just cooking for one, so that's a factor. And I'm hoping to be able to cook every couple of days, so reheating is essential. Advice? Experience?
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Yoy can cook a hotdog and toast in a toster oven.
You can cook a hotdog and pop corn in a microwave.

So you should ask yourself what is more important 2 U.
Popcorn
Hotdogs
Toast
And the other eatable things on your list.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I vote microwave. Anything that needs to be browned can be done on the gas stove. Unless you like to bake. Even that can be done in a microwave if you know how. At the most basic, you can heat water in a microwave for a hot beverage on a cold camp trip. So, which do you have in your home and which one do you use most often? That may help to answer your question.

Let us know what you decide
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
Didn't someone have a convection microwave toaster oven that did everything in one of their trailers? I remember reading that it was not cheap, but worked great....then it could travel to your regular kitchen for full time duty!

We have found the Cuisnart convection toaster oven to be versatile. We can use it outside. It is a toaster, an oven, a convection oven, a broiler. It bakes so true to temp and it is perfect size for two. It will do a 12" pizza, roast a chicken, make a small casserole, toast our bread and bagels, bake a small cake or pie, etc. I also have one at home and use it more than our oven. Stores away easily for travel under the bed. Terry
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
We have found the Cuisnart convection toaster oven to be versatile. We can use it outside. It is a toaster, an oven, a convection oven, a broiler.
This One?

(not microwave)
Old 12-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We have a Warm & Toasty, which is a combination microwave/toaster oven. We love it! We removed our stove top because using it heated up the Scamp too much, so we never used it. The Warm & Toasty takes care of everything that we don't cook on the grill.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
Quote:
We have a Warm & Toasty, which is a combination microwave/toaster oven. We love it! We removed our stove top because using it heated up the Scamp too much, so we never used it. The Warm & Toasty takes care of everything that we don't cook on the grill.
Sandra
Happy New Year to all!
What I think would solve your dilemma is a microwave/convection oven. It both cooks and browns. I however never have used one, but that is what I am looking for since I nuke a lot!
http://www.jr.com/sharp/pe/SHA_R820BW/ Here is a link to one brand.
Peace and Sunshine
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Sandra
That does sound perfect! Where did you find such a thing?

-k
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I vote microwave. Anything that needs to be browned can be done on the gas stove. Unless you like to bake. Even that can be done in a microwave if you know how. At the most basic, you can heat water in a microwave for a hot beverage on a cold camp trip. So, which do you have in your home and which one do you use most often? That may help to answer your question.

Let us know what you decide
I heard that microwaves use a lot of wattage. Is that ever an issue in small egg campers? How many "bells and whistles" can you add. Just wondering how much "gear" I can add to my new found Trillium without blowing the circuit.
Nancy H128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Karen,
We bought our Warm & Toasty at Lowe's but I've seen them for sale at lots of stores. I'm sure you could find them at Target, Wal Mart & many other places. They're made by Sharp. They cost more than a microwave or a toaster oven, but you are getting both appliances in one. I hope you find just what you need.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
I've been thinking of one of these for my cabin

http://www.shophometrends.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_709009

simular cooking item but less power consumption I think. Though I was recently given a small Microwave I think I can use; its only 600W... but only when running my 6000kw generator. My 1100w Microwave was too much for the 8 batteries feed thru a 3000watt / 5000 surge inverter with the generator running to my outlets in the cabin.

woops.... noooooo.... just saw the Wattage in the catalog. 1500... and often start up wattage can double that.... soooo that looks out of the question.

Ok... so ignore this post now LOL
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote