Air conditioner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 1998 13 ft Scamp
I just installed a 5K BTU window AC unit in my S13. It works great, but sometimes when the compressor cycles off, it tries to cycle back on too soon, before the high side pressure has had time to drop sufficiently. (I think it is because it is cooling such a small area). Has anyone else experienced this, and what to do about it? I was thinking of sliding a piece of thin walled plastic tubing over the capillary tube which senses the temperature of air entering the evaporator coil. THis might delay the temperature change long enough. Any ideas?
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:09 AM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I wouldn't think that the 5K unit would be too large for the 13'. Although my trailer is technically 3 feet longer, the front three feet is in the enclosed bathroom, so I think the cubic feet isn't much more than yours. I know that doesn't help much ... other than to say that I don't think it's the size of the unit. Where do you have it mounted? Does it have plenty of ventilation?

Even if you had a bathroom in your 13', it still shouldn't be doing that, I don't think.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
I think, just my 'tuppence', that it might be where, and how, it is installed. If they are in an area, like under the bed, they just suck the cold air back into the return. Or it hasn't got enough breathing room at the outside of the unit.
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Just installed one in a 13 feet Trillium (Danby from WalMart). Today it is 90 F outside with very high humidity and smog even if living 100 miles north of Montreal. Under direct sun the cool dry air gets in the trailer at 65F and it is a comfortable 75 F inside. The A/C cycles perfectly well. How and where have you intalled it?
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 1998 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Just installed one in a 13 feet Trillium (Danby from WalMart). Today it is 90 F outside with very high humidity and smog even if living 100 miles north of Montreal. Under direct sun the cool dry air gets in the trailer at 65F and it is a comfortable 75 F inside. The A/C cycles perfectly well. How and where have you intalled it?
Thanks to all for the input.

It does a great job of cooling, it's just a little annoying to me when it tries to cycle back on too soon.

It is mounted up high in the back sliding window of the trailer. Air circulation is good. Nothing that can't be lived with.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 1980 Boler 17 ft
Quote:
I just installed a 5K BTU window AC unit in my S13. It works great, but sometimes when the compressor cycles off, it tries to cycle back on too soon, before the high side pressure has had time to drop sufficiently. (I think it is because it is cooling such a small area). Has anyone else experienced this, and what to do about it? I was thinking of sliding a piece of thin walled plastic tubing over the capillary tube which senses the temperature of air entering the evaporator coil. THis might delay the temperature change long enough. Any ideas?
Hi remove the cover to gain acess to the thermostat and remove it, (2 screws) on the shaft of the stat you may find a 1/2 dial close to the body or a hole in the body with a anjustment screw .this is the differential turn one or the other (if you have them)slowly it is a very fine adjustment. and cycle A/C to check.
Lloyd Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote