Old 10-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #15

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
---------------------------------------

No matter what the cooling medium being used, the cooling circuit in small home a/c's, as a well as rooftop RV a/c's, are usually not designed for service or recharging. Even if they were, the cost of a service call could quickly exceed replacement price.
One could evacuate the system , cut a tee or saddle fitting in the refrigeration line and recharge the unit. One would need torches ,a vacuum pump ,a scale, gauges, silver solder and refrigerant . One would need to do some reading on refrigeration but nothing too difficult

Old 10-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Well yes, if you had a complete a/c shop and skills at your beck and call almost anything CAN be done, but considering the time and expense to have it done, a new $150 a/c might be a better choice.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #17

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Facetious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Well yes, if you had a complete a/c shop and skills at your beck and call almost anything CAN be done, but considering the time and expense to have it done, a new $150 a/c might be a better choice.
Bob ; I was being facetious ! If you read this forum long enough you would be led to believe that learning any trade (Electrical ,Plumbing,Pipe fitter, Sheet Metal ,HVAC ) can be accomplished in an afternoon on the internet and being a skilled tradesman takes NO physical or mental skills . It's easy to perform any task to the best of your ability and knowledge when you have neither

PS I had to take a refrigeration and a HVAC class during my Electrical apprenticeship and take a certification exam It is much easier to fix equipment when you understand how the equipment functions
Old 10-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have a Scamp 16 with a closet 5000 BTU air conditioner. Ours is vented thru the floor. It is adequate to cool our Scamp. It removes humidity relatively quickly and gradually cools the trailer. We do but a fan in front of it to move it;s cool air out put around the trailer.

Our AC exhaust has two small computer fans to force hot air out. As well the cool air inlet and hot air outlet are isolated from each other.

Certainly the fridge wants to be vented. In itself it produces a lot of heat beyond the danger aspects of no vent.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #19

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Donna: Freon is like the lead pencil. There has never been lead in a pencil yet they still call it a lead pencil. About a mile away from where we live is a new business named "The Freon Doctor".

Freon is a registered trade name of DuPont which it uses for a number of halocarbon products. They are stable nonflammable moderately toxic gases or liquids which have typically been used as refrigerants and as aerosol propellants. These include the chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) implicated in ozone depletion,

but also include newer refrigerants which typically include fluorine instead of chlorine and do not deplete the ozone layer.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Are Ya Funnin' Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Bob ; I was being facetious ! If you read this forum long enough you would be led to believe that learning any trade (Electrical ,Plumbing,Pipe fitter, Sheet Metal ,HVAC ) can be accomplished in an afternoon on the internet and being a skilled tradesman takes NO physical or mental skills . It's easy to perform any task to the best of your ability and knowledge when you have neither

PS I had to take a refrigeration and a HVAC class during my Electrical apprenticeship and take a certification exam It is much easier to fix equipment when you understand how the equipment functions

Unfortunately there are some who haven't been around for a long time that will take such suggestions at face value and, when the a/c guy wants to charge them $250 for repairing a $150 appliance, they think that someone was foolin' with them.

Adding an (LOL) at the end might help the less intuitive.....
Old 10-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #21

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
I have to admit that I thought you were serious also, Steve Dunham
There are so many talented people on this site, and they truly are not being facetious when they give detailed 'master journeyman' instructions as to how a situation can be remedied. In their mind it is an easy thing to do.
It appears that for now, Don Meyer has several valid things to follow up on based on forum advise.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Thanks for all the advice.......Don
Old 11-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #23

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Do you have a refrigerator or an ice box? The refrigerator draws outside air through the trailer wall and exhausts the heated air through a roof vent .
No roof vent in Scamp. Fridge vents at the belly band. Above the band exhaust vent. Below the belly band, behind the louvered door, intake vent.
Quote:
There is no refrigerator vent in the floor
Agreed.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #24

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
No roof vent in Scamp. Fridge vents at the belly band. Above the band exhaust vent. Below the belly band, behind the louvered door, intake vent.

Agreed.
My 1988 16' Scamp has a roof vent for the refrigerator. It's easy to spot, it's about 2-1/2' long.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #25

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

Quote:
Do you have a refrigerator or an ice box?
Maybe this Scamp originally had an Ice Box, and a previous owner took that out and installed an electric only Compressor fridge (A.K.A. "Dorm Fridge") in its place. Only an Absorption fridge requires the vents to the outside in the wall of the trailer. You didn't say if it was a new or a used trailer when you bought it...
Old 11-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #26

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My 1988 16' Scamp has a roof vent for the refrigerator. It's easy to spot, it's about 2-1/2' long.

I stand corrected. Scamp 13' trailers don't have a roof vent. At least in all the 13' Scamp trailers I've seen none of them have had a refrigerator roof vent.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp
I bought my Scamp used...1979. The original ref was repaced w/a electic one by a previous owner. Also the 5000 btu a/c exhaust the back of the unit thru a wall mounted vent. The sides are open to the interior.

I am thinking of going to a 8000 btu unit but, the winter prices are a lot higher than summer prices at Walmart. The 8000 btu Frigadare units are around $260. An other option is a used roof unit w/a reinforced roof.

Don
Old 11-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #28

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meyer View Post
The original ref was repaced w/a electic one by a previous owner. Also the 5000 btu a/c exhaust the back of the unit thru a wall mounted vent. The sides are open to the interior.
The a/c is installed wrong; that is why it isn't doing the job for you. The only part that should be open to the interior is the front, which has both intake and output vents for inside air. The sides are outside air intake and the back is outside air exhaust.

The way you have it now has no boundary between inside and outside. The sides need to be ducted to the exterior, but NOT to the same vent as the exhaust.

If you put an 8000 BTU air conditioner into the same installation it won't work either, and you will have wasted your money.

Tags
scamp