air conditioner - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #57

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Our central unit has been blowing from the floor (crawl space) vents for the past 27 yrs! To me, since it's more expensive to heat a house than cool it, I'd rather have the warm air blowing up from the floor. Just speaking from experience with OUR unit.

Either way, our house has ran very efficiently with this setup. I dont care for ceiling vents from what I've heard others describe int he winter. I have my roof-mounted A/C with a heat unit. I dont like the "feel" when the heat strip kicks on (cold on the floor). I dont notice this at home (with A/C) but then again- MUCH larger volume of air very unlike the small quarters of the Scamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Basically, that cold air becomes warm air long before it gets to the ceiling.

Look at a home central heating and cooling system. It pumps cool air in through the ceiling vents (not floor vents I hope) that cools the warmest air first, it then continues to settle to the floor, cooling the cooler part of the air space.. Then most a/c systems draw recirculating air from the ceiling return vent, so it re-cools the warmest air. not what's at the floor level.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #58

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
More expensive to heat???
I guess that depends on the type of heat you have. My winter gas/electric bills runs about $120, my summer gas/electric bill runs about $300.
Hopefully your return vents are in the ceiling.

I do recall being in a house cooled from the floor and they depended on ceiling fans to circulate the air.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #59

Tennessee
At the height for winter/summer, my heat/cooling bills never surpass the $180 range. My central furnace uses natural gas. My return vent is 21x21 and is located in our hallway at floor level.

Feel free to come by and check it out sometime...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
More expensive to heat???
I guess that depends on the type of heat you have. My winter gas/electric bills runs about $120, my summer gas/electric bill runs about $300.
Hopefully your return vents are in the ceiling.

I do recall being in a house cooled from the floor and they depended on ceiling fans to circulate the air.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #60

California
Sounds like our annual bills are about the same then.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #61

California
Just a thought for the original problem
If you could used a high volume, low velocity fan of some sort to circulate the warm air down from the ceiling you might get better cooling. While hanging a big Casablanca ceiling fan might not work so well, that's the same idea and it works in my house both summer and winter
Old 05-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #62

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
You might want to Crack open the roof vent just a little to let the hot air out and th r n the A/C can fill the trailer with cooler air.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 05-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #63
Whs

Name: Will
Trailer: Scamp 16 layout 4
Nevada
I have checked, sealed, and double checked everything. Exhaust air completely sealed and doing its job. Cooled air recirculating and doing its job. Functionally, it should work.

It was 88 outside yesterday and I couldn't get the trailer lower than 83. The air is getting all the way to the back of the trailer and it is cool. The air exits the unit at 55 and re enters at 79. I've even tried a fan which made it worse.

I'm testing one more theory by shading the windows that are getting direct sunlight. For now, I taped cardboard outside, if it works I'll use reflectix and suction cups.

All of the thoughts and suggestions were considered and tested.
I still think the unit is under sized for our desert heat. I'm at a loss otherwise.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #64

Tennessee
For that A/C setup and everything you've tried, short of a larger A/C in my opinion, shade is your only answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whs View Post
I have checked, sealed, and double checked everything. Exhaust air completely sealed and doing its job. Cooled air recirculating and doing its job. Functionally, it should work.

It was 88 outside yesterday and I couldn't get the trailer lower than 83. The air is getting all the way to the back of the trailer and it is cool. The air exits the unit at 55 and re enters at 79. I've even tried a fan which made it worse.

I'm testing one more theory by shading the windows that are getting direct sunlight. For now, I taped cardboard outside, if it works I'll use reflectix and suction cups.

I still think the unit is under sized for our desert heat. I'm at a loss otherwise.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #65

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
How could you use the vent fan to just pull the hottest air out? In other words, the fan sucks the air up that is directly under it rather than the hottest air which is along the entire length of the ceiling.

Short of putting a drop ceiling in, I don't see any way to trap the hottest air for exhausting. I don't know how big a temperature difference occurs between the ceiling and floor, but I bet it's substantive.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:35 PM   #66

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The hottest air will be at the top of the camper and will also be where most of the heat from the sun will be.
Don't run the fan, just Crack open the vent. The hot air will be drawn out by convection. The fan may remove more than you want.
The idea is to replace the hot air with air cooled by the A/C. Think of filling a bottle with water from the bottom. The cold air is heavier than the hot and will displace it if there is a place for the hot to go.
Of course if the A/C is not capable of making up enough there you will need more btu's.
On my mini - split unit I am mounting the air handler high in the back so that it will pull in that hot air and cool it better.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 05-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #67

California
Your temp differential 55/79 is good and shows that the a/c unit is doing what it should.

And you can't just vent the hot air out the top without letting some more hot air in. To work, your inside air has to be a complete closed circuit. I agree, if the return air is already at 79 you will never get cool with the surface area and insulation you have. A bigger a/c that can recirculate more air faster is about the only answer other than improving your insulation, and the reflectix over the windows is known to help a lot.

Now, if you could only wrap the entire camper in reflectix, with a 4" air space between ?????
Old 05-29-2015, 07:34 AM   #68

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
The insulation in these campers is minimal, so its important to maximize the effect of the AC you have. Park it in the shade any way you can. Minimize any openings. there is a reason the MAX AC on your car recirculates the air. If you have removed a lot of insulation, put it back. And get some heavy curtains and keep them shut. Those big windows are not exactly the best insulators. Seriously.

I like the reflectex idea.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #69

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whs View Post

That is discouraging. I too am at a loss. From the above it sure seems like you would get more than a 5 degree difference. Shading may be the best and least expensive solution. If the cardboard works, consider window awnings. Outside shade is more effective than inside the rig shade, plus you get light. I think I would consider some kinda "white rain fly/canopy" rather than throwing more kilowatts at the issue.

A nice tree would be best but would take some time to grow. ;-)

john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #70
Whs

Name: Will
Trailer: Scamp 16 layout 4
Nevada
Interesting weekend discovery. It got up to 101 this weekend and my scamp was in direct sunlight on the side of my house. I turned on the air inside my scamp, the starting interior temp was 107 and it got down to 84 within an hours time.

I'm only using an air deflector on my ac unit. I noticed that a fan blowing around actually hurts my situation.

Still debating on upgrading from 6000 btu to 8000 btu.

Tags
scamp