Air Conditioner placement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #1

Name: kathy
Trailer: 1972 Boler 13
New York
Registry
Air Conditioner placement

A question for all you experienced eggers. I want to put a 5000BTU Home Air Conditioner into my '72 Boler as I am planning to only stay in sites with electric when I journey South. Here in the Adirondacks, a 12V fan is sufficient. I have seen a few mentions of placing the AC in the rear of the Boler supported by the back bumper. Does that work? I am planning to leave the dinette in the bed mode most of the time.
Thanks for your expertise,
Kathy
adkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Kathy, cold air sinks. Add that to the fact you've got cold air trapped under the bed (are you planning to use that area for storage?) I don't think you'll get much cold air movement at all. If you're looking for a permanent installation... and if you're willing to cut a large hole in the fiberglass I think you are... a better place may be at the bottom of the closet (a number of people have placed one there). If you're looking for a "temporary" install, I'd put it in the rear/side window, like this: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ner-26008.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #3

Name: kathy
Trailer: 1972 Boler 13
New York
Registry
Thanks for the info Donna D, and the links gave me a lot to think about. The problem with my egg is that it doesn't have sliding windows, just fixed. I kinda like the idea that someone had to put it outside and use dryer ducting to get the cold air in that you referenced in CD Smith's thread. I tried to include that link here but as I am not very tech-savvy, didn't work.
Keep up your excellent work, I love this site, its so helpful to us newbies.
adkboler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, boler, eggs, fiberglass, scamp