Air conditioning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2006, 12:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft / Dodge V-6 PU
The plastic top of my Pla-cool flew off and is broken. Chances of an evap cooler doing me any good in Oklahoma heat are slim to none.

So, what to do for A/C? The Pla-cool weighs a big 8 pounds. What are the chances the roof of a U Haul is braced for a 70 pound rooftop air conditioner? I don't think so.

Has anyone used a portable A/C? You know, the floor standing models with a vent hose to discharge the heat. I'm wondering if I could modify the closet area and put one there. Blow the heat out the furnace vent. Some models come with heating elements too. That way the unit can replace the furnace too. Any suggestions?

When I remove the Pla-cool I'll have to fit a vent. Most RV roofs are about 1 3/4 inches thick. What is the thickness of a U Hauls roof? Will I need spacers?
drews60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Congrats on finding your new-to-you U-Haul!

You may want to consider installing a fantastic fan vent. We ordered the 4000r with a high profile base from Adohen Supply, and are really happy with it. We also topped it with a Maxxair cover so we can have the vent open even during a rainstorm.

I think the distance from the ceiling to the outer roof of our U-Haul is 1 1/4 in.

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
The plastic top of my Pla-cool flew off and is broken. Chances of an evap cooler doing me any good in Oklahoma heat are slim to none.
Evaporative coolers really only work in dry conditions, but I would have guessed that would include summer in Oklahoma.

Quote:
... Has anyone used a portable A/C? You know, the floor standing models with a vent hose to discharge the heat. I'm wondering if I could modify the closet area and put one there. Blow the heat out the furnace vent. Some models come with heating elements too. That way the unit can replace the furnace too. Any suggestions?
Yes, a few people have used this type of unit - I think a search of past topics is really needed. Looking for "air conditioner" and "hose" in the same post might be a good start...

Quote:
... When I remove the Pla-cool I'll have to fit a vent. Most RV roofs are about 1 3/4 inches thick. What is the thickness of a U Hauls roof? Will I need spacers?
Lots of us have built spacers to accommodate Fantastic Vent or MaxxAir products (mine is a MaxxFan), although that Fantastic Fan "high profile base" option is intended to avoid the need for a spacer with thin roofs. The fiberglass shell itself is usually only about 1/8" thick, and that's all there is (other than some thin lining material) in Boler and similar designs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 87 U-Haul CT13
I also replaced the swamp cooler on our UHaul (before we sold it) with a Fantastic fan. I believe 1.25" is about the correct dimension (two layers of fiberglass, 3/4" plywood, and the carpet) for the thickness. The fan came with a spacer, which I cut to fit with a utility knife. The whole installation took about an hour. I did have to trim the fiberglass, since the fan housing was slightly larger than the swamp cooler.

You are correct, the UHaul's roof will not support a roof AC unit without damage.
jasoncarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:39 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The Fantastic Fan and MaxxFan should both be okay with 1.25" (or even 1-1/8"), without needing a custom spacer. I believe that the "spacer" which Jason describes is the interior trim ring, which is trimmed to fit in both cases.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:40 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul
we did the same as "jasoncarder" on the fan but i also installed a a/c in the back of my u-haul on one side of the big back window
http://www.terry-g.net/u-haul/MVC-023F.JPG
the a/c was a sears model and "just" fit in but i did make some supports both inside and out.
Terry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We cut a hole in the back of the Burro, put in a window air conditioner, and disguised the outside as a cooler. It is braced to the bumper with the bracing acting as a holder for the license, which was better than the original.
For heat, we just use one of those small heaters from Walmart on the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
air_conditioner.jpg   revised_cooler.jpg  

Old 11-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 17 ft 1977 / 04 Explorer Sport Trac
Quote:
Has anyone used a portable A/C? You know, the floor standing models with a vent hose to discharge the heat. I'm wondering if I could modify the closet area and put one there. Blow the heat out the furnace vent. Some models come with heating elements too. That way the unit can replace the furnace too. Any suggestions?
I tried that kind of A/C when going to California four years ago. I sold it....Not satisfactory for me. But, it was not included in the closet, just in free space. The vent hose was extending inside to a windows and it radiated heat, and more, it was making a vacuum inside the TT drawing in outside air thru door and windows sealings. Your situation may be different, espacialy if you can install it in a closet and with TWO ducks : one for incoming outside air, and another one for exausting outside. So you keep inside air (cooled or heated) inside. I think this is a must to be satisfied.

This fall, I installed a window A/C in the buttom part of the closet, with a duck thru the fiberglass wall for intake, and another one for outtake. It requires much less space and is much lower price.
Raymond Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
i am with Raymond on the Porable A/C unit it just drew in to much warm air! PS andone who waht to try it i have a portable ac in my garage that i would be willing to part with lol
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
When I first bought my Fiber Stream, it also had a roof mounted evaporative cooler. Mine was missing the water pump. After attempting to fix it, I found that it did nothing but leak, and make my walls sweat. So I removed it and gave it to a friend of mine in the desert.

Name:   FBST_014.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  42.1 KB

My roof is strong enough for a roof air unit, but I didn't want to spend that much money. A "Portable" AC unit would have been too bulky, and at $500 almost as much money as the roof air.

My 14" vent hole is reinforced, and with an added 2" spacer on top, (2x4 wood laid flat, covered with "Rubber Roofing") the standard Fantastic-Fan is lifted to be flush with the interior surface. I got a "plain" one without a thermostat or rain sensor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0052.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	5514

I only need AC ocasionally, so I bought a standard 5000 btu window unit that is balanced evenly between inside & outside protrusion. It is removeable, and I mount it in the front window when needed, and remove it for travel. It sits in it's box on the floor when not needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC13.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	5516

Total investment in both the Fantastic-Fan AND the Air Conditioner is 1/3 the cost of a professionally installed roof air unit.
Attached Thumbnails
000_0054.jpg   AC12.jpg  

Old 11-15-2006, 08:22 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
We cut a hole in the back of the Burro, put in a window air conditioner, and disguised the outside as a cooler.
That disguise is a GREAT idea....it looks so much better than the window AC would have looked. I told my daughter about your idea and showed her the picture you provided and she really liked it...and she hasn't even got a trailer....My ac is in the front under the closet, but if I needed to add one as you did I'd certainly use your "disguise" idea...

Russell
william russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
In a earlier post I showed-off my A/C Install in the closet of my '83 Scamp, you may like the slide show I made of the work.

I'm happy to say that everything is working fine and I very happy with it.

A slideshow of the install is linked here...
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ki4hee/a...60762330542967

Here's the origional thread...
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...mp;#entry177811

ConwayBob
Old 11-19-2006, 12:26 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul
back view after support was made
http://www.terry-g.net/u-haul/11-19-06/MVC-032F.JPG
Terry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
William:

Thanks. My idea, hubby engineering and install. His idea to add the license whose design had it sticking out so far that it kept blowing off. He even had someone ask for a cold one from the cooler while we were at Yellowstone.

Terry:
Looks nice and sturdy.

CindyL
Old 06-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1980 13 ft
Quote:
we did the same as "jasoncarder" on the fan but i also installed a a/c in the back of my u-haul on one side of the big back window
http://www.terry-g.net/u-haul/MVC-023F.JPG
the a/c was a sears model and "just" fit in but i did make some supports both inside and out.

My husband is installing a small a/c in our 13ft boler in the back window.... its fits great. One problem.... with the rounded courners in the window.. he has had to raise it up to ensure it is tilting back a bit for drainage & to allow it to fit better.

How did you seal/ cap it on the outside/inside on the sides... as with ours there is a gap { pie shape on each side where the accoridan expander comes out}. Its hard to tell for your photo. I know i saw another place where there were numerous images of one with trim etc and also a support out the back.. but i can't remember where i saw it.

Any ideas would be great!!
Thanks
Ria. V is offline   Reply With Quote