Air Conditioning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #1

Name: Parker
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
Last fall, my wife Carol and I bought our Scamp 13 late enough in the season that air conditioning was not a concern. The previous owner included a new 5,000 BTU unit that he could mount in the rear window, similar to other temporary installations I've seen posted here. He also said it will almost freeze them out. Not a very scientific term, as I don't know if he was in Wisconsin or Arizona at the time. Left over from our teardrop days, we have a 2500 BTU PetCool (dog house) airconditioner, which was all the range with the teardroppers. It uses flex hoses to connect the cool air and return lines between the unit and the camper. Any idea whether 2500 BTUs is enough to cool the 13' Scamp on a hot day in the sun? My guess is not, and I might as well sell the PetCool with the teardrop. But just in case....does anyone have any experience or data to suggest how many BTUs we really need? Air conditioning is a must for us, so while I'd like to get by with a fan, that's not an option. I know I could wait and try out the PetCool when it gets hot, but I want to sell the teardrop soon and would logically include the PetCool with it if it's not going to be sufficient for the Scamp.

Thanks,
Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Is this the PetCool your talking about?

http://www.atrendyhome.com/hedoghoandai.html
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #3

Ohio
Quote:
Is this the PetCool your talking about?

http://www.atrendyhome.com/hedoghoandai.html

Yep, that's it!
Old 03-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
According to Scamp, they put 5000 BTU AC units in 13' models. Your pet cooler will probably suffice unless you will be trying to cool your Scamp in a high humidity enviroment. It isn't the heat but rather the humidity that taxes a AC's efficiency. Any Air Conditioner has to work harder when the air is more moist. My Scamp with a 5000 BTU window unit installed in my closet is comfortable here in South Carolina when the temps are high and the humidity is extreme, but you can tell it is really working at it.

ConwayBob

Old 03-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
See attached site for calculation. According to their formula 13’ X 7’ X 7’ space with 2 people (100W/person before wine) in it you need 4000 BTU. So, 5000 BTU from Casita seems as right size. http://www.effectivecooling.co.uk/cooling_calculator.php

George.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #6

Ohio
Quote:
See attached site for calculation. According to their formula 13' X 7' X 7' space with 2 people (100W/person before wine) in it you need 4000 BTU. So, 5000 BTU from Casita seems as right size. http://www.effectivecooling.co.uk/cooling_calculator.php

George.
Thanks for pointing me to that calculator! The actual interior size is barely 10' long, but still I'm coming up with 3600-4000 BTU. And according to ConwayBob, his is working pretty hard at 5000 BTU in a 13 footer. Our Ohio summers can be pretty hot and humid as well, plus we're likely to be down in his part of the country. I knew Scamp installed a 5,000 BTU A/C, but thought maybe that's just the smallest ceiling unit they could find. Everything points to me needing something pretty close to that, so I might as well sell the PetCool with the teardrop and go about installing the window unit.

Thanks all.

Parker
Old 03-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 1978 Trek 1300 (Boler/Scamp Clone) / PT Cruiser
Registry
Hi Parker,

I can tell you this from experience. If you select your camping spot to be in a shady area in mid and late afternoon, a 5000BTU A/C will be able to cool it satisfactory. Here in IL we have very hot, humid days in August and the heat can be intolerable. Having the sun all afternoon on the camper will really heat up the inside so much that the A/C will never cool it. (At least not in my 13' FGRV).

Terry
terryjeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by http://www.effectivecooling.co.uk/co...calculator.php
Cooling Calculator

Using the cooling calculator below you can calculate your cooling requirements.
Unit: Feet
Length: 13.25
Width: 6.75
Height: 6.25
No of People in the room: 2
No of Computers, Printers, Faxes: 1

Total Cubic Area:
558.98 ft³
Cooling capacity required:
3994.9 Btu/hr
I have a 5,000 BTU window unit that I use in my uninsulated Fiber Stream. I try to follow Terry's advise as much as practical. But shade can be scarce in Palm Springs, CA in August. At 113<sup>o</sup> F, and 9% humidity, it is overpowered by 1:00 PM and recovers about an hour after sundown. Air Conditioners function by removing humidity. Evaporative Coolers function by adding it. Some desert homes need both units to achieve desired results.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I have a 5000 btu air conditioner in my 13' non insulated Burro. It's placed where the refer used to be, That means the airflow is not the best, unless you're standing in the doorway so on very hot days I will also run a 12v cheap car fan from Walmart ( was 8 bucks on sale) to blow the cool air around. This has done the trick and it does actually get cold enough after about an hour or so to make you turn it down.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote