Air Conditioning Problem - Question? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #15

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
My question might be is power going to the compressor from the contactor?
Trace the wires back from the compressor to where the contactor is located.
If you are getting power to the compressor you should hear it at least humming and it would do so until the overload kicks out.
You could have a bad overload or thermal cutout.
My guess is that you are not getting power to the compressor windings. That would be the place to start.
Many compressors have a three pronged plug that attaches to I think for power and I have seen some with one prong burned off.
Trace the power circuit and check everything from where it comes iny ok the unit and the compressor.
By the way none of the power leads should read 0 to ground with all of the wires removed.
That would indicate a winding shorted to ground.
The windings will read very low resistance to each other, however.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 08-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #16

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
As far as the readings directly across the terminals on the compressor: if you have 3 terminals, I suspect that there is a common, one to main windings and one to start winding. Just a guess. If you move your continuity meter around and find the common, you should get resistance on the other 2. Wondering if there is a thermostat on the compressor that has opened and remains open.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Old 08-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #17

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Just curious...but have you Googled or gone to YT to check for "Troubleshooting" tips on those compressors? I downloaded an "Installer" manual for my Coleman Polar Cub 9200 and it gives excellent methods of testing/troubleshooting the entire unit. I would do this instead of dangerous "hunting and pecking"; not even sure if what you're doing is a true test.

Maybe there's a bonafide HVAC guy on here, but otherwise, you're going to get alot of "opinions".

Just my $.02 worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
As far as the readings directly across the terminals on the compressor: if you have 3 terminals, I suspect that there is a common, one to main windings and one to start winding. Just a guess. If you move your continuity meter around and find the common, you should get resistance on the other 2. Wondering if there is a thermostat on the compressor that has opened and remains open.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Tags
air conditioning