Air Conditioning solution...maybe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Air Conditioning solution...maybe

This post could have gone in anyone of three or so places but I am picking problem solving. Many of us have been searching for the just right solution for air conditioning and I have found a really strong potential. I visited one of our local rv dealers to get parts and while there peeked inside one of Starcraft's new Ar-one small travel trailers out of curiosity (no way am I leaving the world of eggs !!). The air conditioning in this unit would be perfect for our eggs. The unit is wall mounted in a cabinet above the dining table. It does not protrude outside the trailer and seems perfect for mounting in eggs. I don't know the name of the manufacturer but if anyone can find out maybe we can all go together and buy a semi-load of these air conditioners. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
This looks like a standard off the shelf 5000 btu air conditioner that you might buy for $150. It probably draws about 4-5 amps. It's not dissimilar from many in the cabinet approaches like the front of the Casita installation (though Casita uses 8000 BTUs).

They did a nice job on the installation, Certainly their square walled cabinets make it a little easier.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
That's the same setup as in my trailer (KZ Spree Escape E14RB). It's a common Frigidaire 5K btu AC. The difference is mainly the location (high up) and the way they built a cabinet to house it. Folks who delete the AC get a storage cabinet (they put a door over the opening, simple).

I do wish mine were a more powerful unit. In hot weather it can take a long time to cool the trailer.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face Not a new idea...

Reace and Tammy had built the early 17' Escapes (molded fiberglass) this way for a while, putting the air conditioner in the cabinet over the fridge. When most of their customers requested a conventional roof air unit, he changed to that and put the microwave in that cabinet instead.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
In the specs it says it's a 5000 btu, what I can't see is how does it breathe? Is it vented through the wall that we can't see in the pictures? It can't live in the cabinet with out any ventilation, right?
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Is it vented through the wall that we can't see in the pictures?
I wish they had an exterior photo of the other side of the trailer. It would show a refrigerator style vent. The cabinet should have baffles separating the intake air from the exhaust air, too.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Yep, that's what I'm thinking, there must be some separation.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
The a/c is vented through the outside.The vent is about the size of a refrigerator vent. I will try to get pictures inside and out the next time I am at the dealership. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote