AirConditioning a Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2003, 12:45 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
AirConditioning a Scamp 13

We've had a few discussions in the past about putting A/C in our glass rigs. I recall one a month or so ago, about how best to air condition a Scamp or Boler 13. It was noted that newer Scamps use a rooftop unit. I spoke with Scamp this morning, and asked at what year did the roof get qualified to support the A/C unit. I was told that it hasn't been -- If you order a new Scamp WITH air conditioning, they lay up the roof fiberglass heavier to support it. He STRONGLY recommended not trying to retrofit a rooftop unit on a trailer that didn't have it from the factory. This alters my plans... :r Just thought this might help ward off a major catastrophe for one or more of our group!:omy They suggest using the side closet, as described on another thread in this section.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 01:29 PM   #2

Hi Paul
I agree with what you stated.These little units just don't have the strenght needed unless extra support is added.The closet mount way, I think is best.Also on reading about Fantastic Fan and talking to folks this could be a great alternative depending on where you live.:wave

Old 03-04-2003, 11:07 PM   #3

Side air in closet

Please see my previos post, Scamp, Side Air Conditioning to see how I found it to work well in a Scamp 16. Essentially, you just get a regular window unit, mount it on a base securely to the floor right over the frame, then cut the top of the AC unit's cover out and make a baffle to separate the intake air from the exhaust air. Experimentally, I have found this to work very well. You must also provide a water drain to avoid getting the floor wood wet.

Old 03-06-2003, 08:51 AM   #4

by Ches, **Also on reading about Fantastic Fan and talking to folks this could be a great alternative depending on where you live.**
Don't you think this should read depending on where you camp? not all of us camp where we live, (like me) we want something different. so if you live in hot you camp cold and visa-versa. You live mountains, you camp beach. :) see, makes sense.

Old 03-07-2003, 04:59 AM   #5

Hi Steve
and Jana

Steve I have looked at your A/C set up and it looks real good.It should work well for you and other folks that try it.

Jana the Fantastic Fan is also a great set up.Now me I usually only leave my home turf once a year on vacation time.I will spend most of my camping within 200KMs of home.I may be wrong here but I think most people are the same.:wave

Tags
scamp