Airconditioning problem... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #1

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Airconditioning problem...

We have the 17 foot SD Casita with the front mount closet
air. I am wondering if everyone has problems with this config? The air that is in there is 10,000 btu and fairly new.
What size BTU do those of you who have these kinds of set ups have?
Does anyone else have trouble getting the camper to cool enough?
URS cycles alot and we have put freion in it and it still cycle alot. Never cools off enough.
Please help, we have missed out on a couple of weekends of camping because the camper is torn apart trying to figure this out. Thanks.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I would think that a 10,000 btu is too big for that size and it will cycle on/off because of that. If it were sized properly it would run and then shut off. Maybe a newer digital thermostat would help, the stock factory ones tend to cycle the unit too much.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #3

Iowa
Thanks for your response. Ed was the former owner and he replaced it and did a very nice job. Looks factory. As far as we can tell, it isn't more than 3 years old. Is an LG and has a digital thermostat. The only way it would run is with the remote. Then one day we found the little reset switch on the plug in and apparently this needs to be reset each time the camper gets unplugged. So we are still learning....
Old 06-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoss View Post
Thanks for your response. Ed was the former owner and he replaced it and did a very nice job. Looks factory. As far as we can tell, it isn't more than 3 years old. Is an LG and has a digital thermostat. The only way it would run is with the remote. Then one day we found the little reset switch on the plug in and apparently this needs to be reset each time the camper gets unplugged. So we are still learning....
Yes, it has a built in GFI circuit breaker that trips each time you unplug/plug in. I kept mine unplugged until ready to use.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #5

Name: Kenny
Trailer: Travco
Connecticut
I'm not sure what URS stands for but when you say you "put freon" in it you did this yourself or a shop? Did you put gauges on it ? ? 10,000btu should be more than enough. Is it icing up ? That is generally a sign of a low charge however overcharging can make it inefficient and damage the compressor. I have not worked on the newer stuff but My Father was an Authorized Coleman and Doutherm repair install shop. These units (at least the stuff I worked on) are charged and sealed form the factory. The only way to recharge it is use a line tap. I think we filled them to 65 lbs on the low side but it's been about 20 yrs since I messed with one. Are you sure you have a good supply of shore power ? If your running it off an extension cord that is too light the compressor will shut off.
Kenny D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #6

Iowa
No we had our furnace guy look at it and he added the freon in. Not icing up but it was looking like it was starting to so that is what led the guy to believe it needed the freon. We aren't using an extension cord at this time but the electricity to the Garage where it is plugged in is iffy. But we had this problem at the campground too, that was before the freon was added. Gosh, i hate to have to put roof air on. We called Casita and the guy told us that when they built those, they put the 10,000 btu in the 17 footer. So that must be correct.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Our EggCamper has the factory floor-mounted AC, (I think it's only a 5500 btu unit), and it can't keep up if the trailer sits in the sun. It does okay if it's in the shade or in the evening, but otherwise it's totally inadequate. Since we don't go camping if days are expected to be above 85 degrees F it really isn't much of a problem for us, (If we lived where the humidity was lower we would probably make that limit 90 or 95 degrees).
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote