All in favor of just caulking it now..raise your hand.. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
dear previous owner...I didn't realize the 8 pounds of caulk that I removed when I recieved the trailer was there for a purpose...how niave of me.

appearently the fix I did 8 months or so ago didn't work so its still leaking..*heavy sigh*...well at least it gives me an excuse to be out in the trailer. *boo*
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Caulking what? Where?

Brandy, some people will use any excuse to go spend time in their trailer, if this excuse works for you... it works for me
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
LOL Brandy. The effectiveness of a PO repair seems to be inversely proportional to the amount of caulk "globbed" thereon.

Although that doesn't explain why your repair did not get it. Argh!

A couple of ideas:
Put chalk powder or something on the walls to see if you can find a "trickle track" later or after you hose it down.

At night when it is very dark, either light up the trailer inside and look around for pinpoints of light on the outside, or vice-versa.

Most vexing!

But... funny the way you told it
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Is/wuz it thedoor Brandy??
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Brandy, I think that piece of junk trailer has caused you enough problems. I'll take it off your hands for $75.00.
After almost three years I finally found my elusive leak. I was getting water in on the curbside front. I redid the front window 2x. I then redid the front seals around the marker lights. Water was still coming in. Then one day I notice the trim strip above the door was coming loose, so I pulled it off. Viola ! two little bb sized holes that were covered by the trim strip which was funneling all the water directly into the shell. I filled them with marine epoxy , then cleaned and reglued the trim strip on. No more leaks. Believe me, the leak is somewhere where you least expect it. Merry Christmas!
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #6

I know or at least I think I know where the leak is......the trailer gnomes drilled holes right near the bellie band for whatever reason and the stuff I appled did not cure well so the holes weeped again.(kind of like me crying over this leak)...AND a new and improved leak is at the back window....the point where the 2 rubber parts met. I have to find the fix it method for that. AND somehow water seems to be getting in behind the fridge..I can see how that is getting in so just waiting for warmer weather to fix all these great leaks.

Quote:
LOL Brandy. The effectiveness of a PO repair seems to be inversely proportional to the amount of caulk "globbed" thereon.

Although that doesn't explain why your repair did not get it. Argh!

A couple of ideas:
Put chalk powder or something on the walls to see if you can find a "trickle track" later or after you hose it down.

At night when it is very dark, either light up the trailer inside and look around for pinpoints of light on the outside, or vice-versa.

Most vexing!

But... funny the way you told it
Old 12-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #7

75.00 hummmmm lemmy think about it...ask me after another rainstorm

Quote:
Brandy, I think that piece of junk trailer has caused you enough problems. I'll take it off your hands for $75.00.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
75.00 hummmmm lemmy think about it...ask me after another rainstorm
I'll bump the bid to a hunnert if you deliver..... And don't worry about the leaks.... I have plenny of blue tarps--- I'll just have to get them back from the neighbor off of his roof...... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Exclamation

And this kind of discussion is what brings me back to FGRV time and time again. Y'all are TOO funny!

(And I've got one-ten for that trailer, and a garage in California to put her in. I guarantee she won't leak there!)

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
AND a new and improved leak is at the back window....the point where the 2 rubber parts met. I have to find the fix it method for that.
Brandy,
You sure are getting a lot of offers.
The window leak is a notorious one, but very simple one to fix. Black windshield weatherstrip sealant is the only thing I'd use there. The one I bought is by Permatex, but any auto parts store will have the windshield weatherstrip sealant. Time commitment is about 2-4 minutes. I'd recommend latex gloves when working with this stuff or you'll have black splotchy fingers for the next week.

I wouldn't caulk the two holes at the belly band, I'd fill them with a fiberglass repair for a permanent fix. I use "AquaMend" which is very easy to work with and will even make repairs under water, which your trailer may be shortly if you don't get the leaks fixed. It comes in a small tube and I got it either at the Depot or Wally, can't remember. Promises to repair and rebuild anything made of fiberglass, and it does.

If you decide instead to take one of these offers, I'd hold out for at least $500.......
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 PM   #11

Bless you Greg...may the trailer gods be kind to you in your travels....
as far as the aqua mend is that an epoxy?.....

And for those other vulures out looking to snag a trailer on the low ball..*shame shame on you for trying to take advantage of a poor ol gal just looking for some information and a <insert sob here> little sympathy......

Quote:
Brandy,
You sure are getting a lot of offers.
The window leak is a notorious one, but very simple one to fix. Black windshield weatherstrip sealant is the only thing I'd use there. The one I bought is by Permatex, but any auto parts store will have the windshield weatherstrip sealant. Time commitment is about 2-4 minutes. I'd recommend latex gloves when working with this stuff or you'll have black splotchy fingers for the next week.

I wouldn't caulk the two holes at the belly band, I'd fill them with a fiberglass repair for a permanent fix. I use "AquaMend" which is very easy to work with and will even make repairs under water, which your trailer may be shortly if you don't get the leaks fixed. It comes in a small tube and I got it either at the Depot or Wally, can't remember. Promises to repair and rebuild anything made of fiberglass, and it does.

If you decide instead to take one of these offers, I'd hold out for at least $500.......
Old 12-31-2009, 09:06 AM   #12

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Brandy,
I was thrilled to see the info you received from Greg. It sounds like the perfect and EASY FIX.

It's crystal CLEAR TO ME, that those others (AKA: low-balling-"vultures") have no idea of your mechanical FIX-IT skills or of how incredible your sweet retro '77 Scamp turned out, after you redid the whole blessed thing by yourself!

However, I'm sure they were ALL joking about their FUNNY low offers.
If they weren't joking, everyone better make more of an effort to find out what their EGG is really worth. I would hate to see a vulnerable person think that a simple leak or two in a structurally sound EGG would really take the price of their trailer down 3,000 or 4,000 dollars, when a responible RV shop would probably only charge a hundred or so to fix it...

Please let us know how Greg's FIX works out for you!
Have a wonderful New Year and many more yet to come to you and your EGG!

Barbara
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #13

Hey Barb...oh I get the humor alright don't know about the value of my trailer after I take a baseball bat to it <joke>...just had it all put to sleep and was dissapointed water found its way in...truely I like a puzzle. Might be cheaper to invest in a cover, but wheres the fun in that

Quote:
Brandy,
I was thrilled to see the info you received from Greg. It sounds like the perfect and EASY FIX.

It's crystal CLEAR TO ME, that those others (AKA: low-balling-"vultures") have no idea of your mechanical FIX-IT skills or of how incredible your sweet retro '77 Scamp turned out, after you redid the whole blessed thing by yourself!

However, I'm sure they were ALL joking about their FUNNY low offers.
If they weren't joking, everyone better make more of an effort to find out what their EGG is really worth. I would hate to see a vulnerable person think that a simple leak or two in a structurally sound EGG would really take the price of their trailer down 3,000 or 4,000 dollars, when a responible RV shop would probably only charge a hundred or so to fix it...

Please let us know how Greg's FIX works out for you!
Have a wonderful New Year and many more yet to come to you and your EGG!

Barbara
Old 01-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #14

Registry
Barbara AND Brandy -
I was ABSOLUTELY (sort of) joking with that lowball price. We've all put a lot of time and energy, blood, sweat, and certainly tears (OK, maybe that was just me) into our pet headaches...er...trailers. Seriously, though, I think many of us have had times when we'd practically give them away. Not me, though. Nope. Never had it happen to me...

Let's see...what do I need before we go out camping Wednesday?
- fix hole in side (sawed by my dear ol' ever so helpful dad)
- figure out how to repair the paper towel bar which rattled loose last trip
- find the short that causes one taillight to turn on if both (newly rewired) interior lights are on (but ONLY if both interior lights are on)

Oh...there's more...but gotta figure these out before we head into the cold for a midweek camping trip. Come Tuesday night, I'll probably take any bid, too!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:03 AM   #15

Oh of course i recognized the humor......pA lEASE...anyone who thinks I'm a woman who is stranded and in need of help better know its just a trick to get their life preserver for my own self preservation....I love every one who replys and appreciate anyone who gets my humor in this post.....

Quote:
Barbara AND Brandy -
I was ABSOLUTELY (sort of) joking with that lowball price. We've all put a lot of time and energy, blood, sweat, and certainly tears (OK, maybe that was just me) into our pet headaches...er...trailers. Seriously, though, I think many of us have had times when we'd practically give them away. Not me, though. Nope. Never had it happen to me...

Let's see...what do I need before we go out camping Wednesday?
- fix hole in side (sawed by my dear ol' ever so helpful dad)
- figure out how to repair the paper towel bar which rattled loose last trip
- find the short that causes one taillight to turn on if both (newly rewired) interior lights are on (but ONLY if both interior lights are on)

Oh...there's more...but gotta figure these out before we head into the cold for a midweek camping trip. Come Tuesday night, I'll probably take any bid, too!
Old 01-01-2010, 01:30 AM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Brandy--- Happy New Year... BTW, I am going to have to retract my bid as my neighbor will not give my blue tarps back.... He seems to think that with the snow coming down this evening, he needs them... Sorry L&C
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
I use "AquaMend"
Thanks for mentioning both of these, Greg. I have a 1 1/2" round hole in the side of my trailer which needs closing. I've been waiting to gather all the fiberglassing supplies, but maybe this stuff'll do the trick. It's certainly worth a try.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #18

Yeah thats the thing about washintonians...little bad weather sends them into lockdown mode...its worse here in Seattle, all those fancy cars and big sledding hills sets them into panic mode.....its rather fun to observe...it a sic twisted sort of way...

Quote:
Brandy--- Happy New Year... BTW, I am going to have to retract my bid as my neighbor will not give my blue tarps back.... He seems to think that with the snow coming down this evening, he needs them... Sorry L&C
Old 01-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #19

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Thanks for mentioning both of these, Greg. I have a 1 1/2" round hole in the side of my trailer which needs closing. I've been waiting to gather all the fiberglassing supplies, but maybe this stuff'll do the trick. It's certainly worth a try.
Jen,

For that large a hole, I'd glass the repair. The "aqua mend type repair sticks are more suited to repairing an old screw or rivet hole.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Jen,

For that large a hole, I'd glass the repair. The "aqua mend type repair sticks are more suited to repairing an old screw or rivet hole.
OK, great! Thanks, Greg, for elaborating.