Allure floor by trafficmaster - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Allure floor by trafficmaster

I would like to put in a new vinyl floor in my trailer. With four dogs, I don't think having carpet is helpful. I am open to any suggestions on what type of floor. though I have been thinking of allure, at home depot.

Can I put the allure flooring right on top of the carpet, or do I have to rip the carpeting out? The carpet seems to be in good shape.

Does anyone have any idea of the square footage of the floor of a 16 foot scamp, or how many boxes of allure I will need?

Thanks,

Ruth
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Ruth, you would definitely need to take out the carpeting, and have a solid level substrate to lay the flooring on. Not certain how thick the Allure is, but most vinyl flooring will telegraph any irregularities in the floor, like dips and bumps, through to the surface.

Not sure of the square footage, but a quick check with a tape will get it for you. It is a product I know others have used, so they might have some tips too. A quick Google search turned up a ton of helpful videos and links. LINK
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #3

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
We put in Allure and love it because it is vinyl and can handle a little water and abuse. We were not sure we would like it so we did not take out the carpeting. It gives the Allure floor a squishier feel with carpet underneath and I think keeps it a little warmer in the colder seasons. If you know you will never want to go back to carpet and want a more solid feel under your feet, I would rip out the carpet.

You likely will use around 2 boxes in order to finish the job depending on how much you do, but get out the tape and measure to be sure.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have installed this type of floor in my prior 2 campers. In the EggCamper I took up the carpet and painted the floor, it was rough and I wanted a smoother surface. With the second camper I installed right over the linoleum floor. Either way, you want to allow some contraction and expansion room. I did this with matching caulk around the perimeter and 1/4 round molding on the other side.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00803.jpg   DSC00805.jpg  

DSC01093.JPG   DSC01094.JPG  

cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #5

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
I put the Allure ultra in my 13ft uhaul. Took a box and a half. Love the way it looks and feels. And so much easier to clean. The old carpet in ours was bad and smelled awful so I pulled it up. I'd be afraid of water/sweating getting trapped in the carpet and not drying out with the floor on top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130104_090746.png
Views:	62
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	54012
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighth001 View Post
I put the Allure ultra in my 13ft uhaul. Took a box and a half. Love the way it looks and feels. And so much easier to clean. The old carpet in ours was bad and smelled awful so I pulled it up. I'd be afraid of water/sweating getting trapped in the carpet and not drying out with the floor on top.

Attachment 54012
I had removed our carpet, used roof coating on the subfloor, and placed the Allure over it. I later had the water filler tube for the tank under the seat rupture. I tried drying out the trailer by placing two fans running 24 hours a day for 3 days here in the very dry summer Arizona desert, but when I pulled up the Allure, there was water still trapped between the flooring and subfloor.
I ended up removing all the Allure for a few days as I continued running fans for a couple more days. No damage was done as I could tell, probably because I had sealed the subfloor with the roof coating. I would not recommend placing the Allure over the carpet for this reason, as you never know if moisture will cause problems from just spilling anything on the floor.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighth001 View Post

Attachment 54012
Sean, looks great. How did you level the original floor under the plank flooring?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #8

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Allure is great stuff and holds up well. I have had it in the kitchen of my cabin for several years with no problems. Plan on buying 2 boxes.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #9

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
Right now with well placed scraps of the Allure that I had trimmed. :-) I'm waiting on summer heat to see how it fits. I'm debating looking for a waterproof thin insulation material to go under it.
The dips in the floor tend to be between the side seams from the inner hull and the center seam if I recall correctly.
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Sean, looks great. How did you level the original floor under the plank flooring?
My leveling was done by applying the thick roof coating applied to the subfloor. The roof coating was purchased from Home Depot and is a roll on or trowel on application. I felt something was needed as when I pulled up the glued down carpet, the chip board let some pieces go along with the carpet.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
The pictures look great. I am so going to do this. I am gonna buy 2 boxes, and am thinking about laying it right on top of the carpet, that way I don't have to level it, seems easier.

Thanks for all the advice.
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth G View Post
The pictures look great. I am so going to do this. I am gonna buy 2 boxes, and am thinking about laying it right on top of the carpet, that way I don't have to level it, seems easier.

Wow... didn't know one could lay vinyl on carpeting .
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #13

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth G View Post

It might be easier, but it's not right.

I can't speak to allure, i haven't used it, but stay away from the $.99 stick down vinyl floor at Lowes. it's in an almost all white box with some red on it, I think. It's cheap crap, doesn't stick down well. I put it down in my trailer, and I'm ripping it all back out again to try glueless vinyl sheet.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think once you read the instructions you will realize that the old has to come out before the new can go in, no way you can install that floating floor on a floating floor.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #15

Kansas
Apparently somebody has, but don't be surprised when you crack the vinyl, or get stress creases, etc., in it.

As the old adage goes "Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time, but always enough time to do it the second time?".
Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Wow... didn't know one could lay vinyl on carpeting .
I too am curious as to why one would be wanting to do this too.

Definitely something I would not do, for any reason. I do home building and renovations for a living, and install many 1,000's of feet of flooring a year, and would never consider this.

Vinyl flooring gets much of its protective strength from a polyurethane (or equivalent) coating. The flexure allowed from leaving carpet underneath would in time damage this coating.

I would be willing to bet that the manufacturer would not warranty the product installed with carpet under either.

I am a bit surprised though to even hear of carpet glued down in a trailer. Just something I have never seen. We do cover the most of our floor with throw rugs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #17

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
From all the research I've done (here and elsewhere), the Allure flooring seems to be a great, cost effective choice. Before we bought our Scamp, we saw one that had had Allure just put in it and it looked great. The owner said it was easy and fast to do, so I'm a believer. We've run into two problems: what color and what direction?

The color we can figure out if we get some samples, but the direction is a topic upon which we have started to disagree. In an attempt to get unbiased responses, I'm not going to hint which direction is my choice so fire away.

We have a 16-foot Scamp with the toilet on the side, a bench/bunk on the front, and a large dinette/double bed on the back. Which way should we lay the planks of the Allure? Should we lay them going from front to back or side to side? We've only seen one trailer in person, so advice is welcome. Oh, and it doesn't have to be objective at all.
Steve and Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #18

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am a bit surprised though to even hear of carpet glued down in a trailer. Just something I have never seen. We do cover the most of our floor with throw rugs.
Oh, my scamp was glued like you wouldn't believe. A DA wouldn't touch it with 36 grit. I ended up with flap discs on a 5" angle grinder, and that took a long time, even. Under the cabinets I used an angle die grinder.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Our 2 cents. Lengthwise. Might sweep out easier, has a bit of a groove. I think you would have less waste. The Allure planks (if they haven't changed since we put it in kitchen) have glue strips on long side and one on short side. You should look over how it fits together before doing it. In my kitchen I have one small spot that we pieced without the end overlap glue. I don't like that spot.

If the hallway is so narrow that you can get two lengths out of one plank maybe you could get by with running it from bath to door, but that just feels wrong to me.

Next gathering I'll have to see how most people do it.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
.....I'm not going to hint which direction is my choice so fire away.
I would do it at a 45° angle, leading towards the main area from the door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Oh, my scamp was glued like you wouldn't believe. A DA wouldn't touch it with 36 grit. I ended up with flap discs on a 5" angle grinder, and that took a long time, even. Under the cabinets I used an angle die grinder.
Sounds like it was down real good. Is this common with Scamp?

Did you try an oscillating multi-tool? They work wonders scraping up stuff that is glued down hard. The only issue I have found was when the going got tough, the glue heated up a bit, and got sticky.