Alternate exterior propane connection? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Alternate exterior propane connection?

Has anyone plumbed an additional propane connection on the side or back?

We carry a second tank in a milk crate in as well as the one on the tongue, we do mostly all the cooking out outside. It would be nice to not pack another tank and just plug into the main line of the trailer.

Any ideas or pictures?

Thanks Brad
Brad Judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
We have one on the front of our Trillium, Sorry, no pics are available but its basically just an in-line (propane gas) T connector with a plug in the un-used orafice. Might come in handy, but we have yet to make use of it but we ALWAYS have a spare(full) 20lb tank on board to power a propane fire pit!! The tank gets put outside as soon as we get to our destination.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:13 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Exterior propane connections

Several manufacturers offer a "quick connect" fitting as an option for "plugging in" your portable BBQ/firepit/whatever. I'm getting one added to my Bigfoot 21.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
There is no doubt these quick connect fittings are great, we just haven't had the need nor the time to add them to anything else we have that requires multiple connectiion(s).
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Several manufacturers offer a "quick connect" fitting as an option for "plugging in" your portable BBQ/firepit/whatever. I'm getting one added to my Bigfoot 21.
Yes, like the NG connection on my house. Then I would just haul one tank and plug into the connection. One tank lasts pretty long when full.

I already have a tee and two hoses but they are to short to cook near the rear of the trailer as it seems we seem to set up (Coleman/Webber BBQ on a table) more than the front. Just thought someone out there has tried it?

Brad
Old 12-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Brad Judd... Escape also offers an exterior quick connect option for their trailers. If you call them in Chilliwack 604-703-1650 they may be able to retrofit your trailer in their newly expanded repair shop.
IMHO gas fitting is best left to a licenced professional.
The limit will be the length of hose allowed by code for your LPgas appliance.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #7

Thanks Alf,

I don't know if I could handle being that close to those new trailers...I'd want a new one!

Brad
Old 12-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Brad, if you should go to Escape Trailer Industries to look, leave your checkbook at home
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Brad: My daughters Jayco popup has connections to use the stove either inside or on the outside of the trailer. They are quick connect couplers with a lever on/off valve attached to a flexible gas line. You should be able to get a line custom made by a propane dealer in the length you need and attach it to the "T" connector you have. When I worked for a heating company we frequently used copper line for propane gas installations and would install a flared "T" connector if we were feeding more than one appliance. Depends on what your trailer is piped with as to how you could tap into the line. Carefully checking for leaks is very important with propane, soapy water works good, a manometer tube is better as it will show a leak that may not be visible. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Judd View Post
Thanks Alf,

I don't know if I could handle being that close to those new trailers...I'd want a new one!

Brad
Hi: Brad Judd... That's the whole point!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:13 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
We added a 10 lb propane bottle beside the 20 pounder on the tongue of the trailer. When camping it can be chain locked under the table or to the rear bumper and then connected to the outdoor grill anywhere on the campsite.
Attached Images

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #12

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Like some others, I added a Y fitting to the tank on my Scamp. I use the 2nd outlet for my Buddy heater. I run the hose through the porta potty cabinet and through a little hole and up to the tank.

You can also get Y or T fittings that add a lantern type port... So you can hook it up to anything that uses a 1lb bottle.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
I put a quick disconnect on my VW camper. It is great to have that option. I always cooked outside and only used the inside line for heat. I "hard lined" it with an on/off valve. It's the way to go!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane