alternative venting Refridgerator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Looking for options in installing an RV type fridge in my cabin. Cutting holes thru 4" log walls is not my idea of a way to go about venting. Any ideas?

Here is what dometic says

Quote:
Ventilation
The installation shall be made in such a manner as to separate the combustion system from the living space of the mobile home or recreational vehicle. Openings for air supply or for venting of combustion products shall have a minimum dimension of not less than 1/4 inch. Proper installation requires one lower fresh air intake and one upper exhaust vent. The ventilation kits shown in this instruction booklet have been certified for use with the refrigerator models listen in the tables. Certified vent system kits, see separate list. The ventilation kits must be installed and used without midification. An opening towards the outside at floor level in the refrigerator compartment must be provided for ventilation of heavier-than-air fuel gases. The lower vent of
the recommended kits is provided with proper size openings. The flow of combustion and ventilating air must not be obstructed.

For ready serviceability of the burner and control manifold parts of the refrigerator the lower side vent is fitted with a liftout planel which provides an adequate access opening.
From the sounds of this I'm thinking... a FLOOR vent for air intake and heavy gas as described in above document. Cabin is off the ground with air flow below it.

The area above my fridge is the vent for the stove top thru the wall much alike an RV. So thinking running copper pipe(s) up to the vent area as the exaust. I say copper cause then I can use brasso to shine them and then plastic coat them so there is a decrative addition to their being there.

For lighting and rear access..... here is three options.

1. 1" hole drilled thru the logs for lighting purpose. Seal hole walls with silicon or maybe a plastic pipe siliconed in place. Keep bugs and rot out of the wood is my purpose for that.

2. cut out a hole in the floor and install a trap door. From large enough to slide fridnge forward then poke head up thru the hole to see to light the thing... to large enough fridge could drop DOWN thru. If large; mount fridge ontop of hole with flat strap iron or Z'ed angle iron. Put trap door below it that swings downward. Either way floor vent would be part of door.

3. just mount it in away that it is easy to slide the fridge out forward to access the rear.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #2

Something hit me as I was typing this. Could see maybe a false wall in the back of the space. False wall having an opening in it that just the rear parts of the fridge protrude thru. Some insulation material on the walls face so when you push the fridge into place... it sorta seals the back of the fridge from the insides of the cabin.

This would prevent ANY venting to be occuing INTO or out of the cabin interior.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #3

From another thread on fridges and venting in here I found this good link about proper venting

http://www.rvmobile.com/Tech/Trouble/vent.htm
Old 10-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Indoors your greatest concern will be the exhaust gasses. You have to get those out.

For the heat exchangers, all you need is to be an inch or so away from the wall at the back of the fridge. Allow for airflow to flow upwards behind the fridge. (Think of how your regular plug in type fridge works)
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #5

Quote:
....For the heat exchangers, all you need is to be an inch or so away from the wall at the back of the fridge. ...
according to the info in the link posted above. the space between wall and rear of fridge is not to EXCEED one inch or you begin to loose needed updraft currents created by the cool intake and warm exhaust.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
I keep ours in the screen porch. I simply have it on a table, and can pull it out as needed. I don't worry about airflow as there is a near perpetual breeze in the porch.

I'd be interested to see pics of the install once you're done though.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #7

Quote:
I keep ours in the screen porch. I...
Yeah it's a catch 22. I live here year round and walking out side, in my sleeping gear into the freezing cold to get breakfast milk does not sound fun. But then again the fridge would not have to work so hard cause it's cold outside. Summer would not be to efficent though.