Alternatives to silicone - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Alternatives to silicone

Quick question. What are some alternatives to silicone for plugging up a small external hole. I am moving my propone tanks and there will be a couple of holes in the fiberglass where the PO had attached plates for the tanks.

I have a bad head cold and just don't have the energy to search this site.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Take 2 aspirin, drink plenty of liquid and get plenty of bed rest, then search when you are feeling better.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
here is a thread with some alternates
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...fan-39901.html
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I am a big fan of PC 11 epoxy paste. I used it to fill the old screw holes when I had to reset the hinges on my door. It has held up well. It can be shaved when partially cured, sanded when dry, and dries off white. Hope you feel better soon. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #5

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
Bondo. Following others' examples on this site for belly band repairs, I am in the process of filling depressions with bondo. Needs sanding and painting though.

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There is "bondo" and then there is "bondo." Some will swell and flake and fall off/out with moisture, other melds well with fiberglass. For small holes, I have had good luck with Marine epoxy. It comes as a two part epoxy, that you cut off what you need and the knead the two parts together. Rub the parts together to form a "sausage" that you cram into the hole. It's waterproof and sandable. When I took the "stinky slinky" off the front of my Scamp, I used this stuff to fill the rivet holes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	MarineEpoxy.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	41765
YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #7

Thanks all!
I went with Rax and Donna's suggestion and bought some Marine epoxy at West Marine. They did not have the PC brand that Donna and Rax use, but the staff assured me that their brand would do the same thing. Also, they confirmed that it would be perfect for my needs.

Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #8

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post

Thanks all!
I went with Rax and Donna's suggestion and bought some Marine epoxy at West Marine. They did not have the PC brand that Donna and Rax use, but the staff assured me that their brand would do the same thing. Also, they confirmed that it would be perfect for my needs.

Thanks again.
I'm following the thread and doing the same repair. I didn't find the same brand and all they had was epoxy in a dual syringe. Did you get the two part putty Donna posted? Either way let us know the results.

Cheers,
Mark
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:47 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Here is another product from my box of goo. It's Goop Supermend. It's a white epoxy paste about the consistentcy of Bondo. It sets in 15 minutes. It adheres to wet or dry surfaces, and cures in low temperatures. I use it alot. It's very versatile. You can find it at Ace hardware, Sears, and most home improvement / lumber places.

Amazon.com: ECLECTIC PRODUCTS INC 5330031 Amazing Goop Super Mend Epoxy, 4-Ounce Tube: Home Improvement

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
I'm following the thread and doing the same repair. I didn't find the same brand and all they had was epoxy in a dual syringe. Did you get the two part putty Donna posted? Either way let us know the results.

Cheers,
Mark
That is correct. It appears to be the same product, but different name/manufacturer. As I said, I got it at West Marine which is a marine supply chain.

I'll let you know how it works.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:05 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The stuff Donna used is like modeling clay. You take the two parts, mix them with your fingers and apply. The stuff I used is a paste. You take two plastic spoons (one for each part to avoid cross contamination) and mix equal parts to form a paste about the consistency of peanut butter and apply it with a putty knife. It is very sticky stuff. They both will do the job. I chose the paste because it can be put in a syringe and injected. I had deep holes I wanted to fill. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #12

I got the modeling clay-like stuff. It comes in 2 different tubes, but the directions match Donna's post. It apparently hardens to the point it is structurally supportive.

I'm not sure how deep the screw holes are, but this product should work. The West Marine folks suggested that I leave enough room to add gel coat.

I appreciate your post as I did not realize you were talking about 2 different products. I'll keep your's on my "list", as I am sure a need will arise.

This thread has been incredibly helpful for me. I now have several non silicone products to put in my tool case.

I particularly liked Jim's suggestions for taking care of my head cold (5 days down, 2.5 weeks to go!). I'm finally feeling good enough to take the dogs to the park (they sure were restless!).
Old 12-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #13

Name: Howard
Trailer: 1986 13' Burro
Arizona
That stuff Donna is talking about almost sounds like what we use at work to repair fuel leaks on aircraft,,,,,hmmmmmm
Ralefan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralefan46 View Post
That stuff Donna is talking about almost sounds like what we use at work to repair fuel leaks on aircraft,,,,,hmmmmmm
Here is a link to the product: TRAVACO Putty at West Marine

Hmmm, when I asked about the color, the West Marine people told me it was an off white ... the package said nothing about grey. Not too late to bring it back.

But it does look like Donna's description.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #15

Name: Brayden
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
Ever thought of using urathane
Pro-form has black and gray
AUTOBODY uses this to glue your cars together
Works like a silicone but it's paintable and very strong
Siris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Donna,
Would this be the right thing to use as a seal when replacing the porch light?
Fran
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #17

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i would use an epoxy to fill the hole, sand it carefully then seal it with gelcoat finish repair that you can get at any boat store, it comes in white, and a multitude of colors and you should be able to make a nearly invisible repair.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran L View Post
Donna,
Would this be the right thing to use as a seal when replacing the porch light?
Fran
Fran, I'm not sure if I'm the Donna you're asking... but, no you don't use marine epoxy when replacing a vent, window, light, etc. It's for permanently filling holes... or filling holes that will be redrilled. If you're removing an exterior light and replacing with the same thing, use Butyl putty for a leak-free seal.

I hope this help.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Thanks Donna,
After reading through ALL the posts I sort of figured the butyl putty tape would be the better product. We got some yesterday and may try the porch light replacement this weekend.
Thanks!!
Fran
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #20

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
The PO of my trailer had to take the old regulator out of commission when they replaced to new style LP tanks. They simply left the old regulator where it was, firmly mounted to the shell (thus, all holes stay plugged). Maybe I'll take it off some day and plug the holes, but for now, I'm leaving it alone.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote