Aluminum Corrosion New Scamp 13' - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
Name: Rick
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Scamp 13' corrosion

Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
How was the trailer actually shipped? Flat towed, on a flat bed, covered trailer or car hauler, Was it shrink wrapped like they do boats? I am speculating the carrier was selected by Scamp and not contracted by yourself.
I am glad that Scamp is following through with repairs. That is so rare these days.
the trailer was towed by an independent transporter contracted by Scamp. Remarked he went the weather-hell coming from MN all the way to So. CA...

Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
I'll bet he did. This year wasn't the best winter to do that trip between the road salt back east and wet desert alkali. But you got it and will be ready for camping season right away. You also got a free water test for leaks while still under warrenty.

stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #17
Name: Tom
Trailer: 1996 Scamp...SD
door hinges are cast aluminum, belly band, door step are extruded just basic mill finish, same with old window frames. Your casting will look like that from the casting mold and type of casting material used, probably from less pure aluminum.
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #18
Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
that is not genuine aluminum, we in the metal trade called it pot metal, it has a bit of aluminum in it but more zinc etc. You could check around for metal fastener companies and maybe find some real aluminum but on a new trailer I'd have to know th bolt pattern will be the same, you could also clean them up and paint them.
Love being Inneggsile
heading sloowly up the eastcoast to our next 2 month (Aug and Sept) camp hosting gig at Camden Hills State Park in Maine
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #19
Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Little side note that Henry Ford shipped his first Model Ts an others vehicles out West with Just Primer they were painter in Portland Or then shipped to Western States. The early Coal fired trains made a mess of them,
Scamp has always been good about making things right. Shipping in the winter can be tough.
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Originally Posted by Brian B-P
Unless the chains are aluminum - which seems unlikely - I don't think they're anodized. They are presumably steel, and likely plated but possibly galvanized, although anodizing is apparently possible.

I realize that the point is that the salt in coastal areas is a problem, but not necessarily for all aluminum parts.
No one used aluminum chain. Galvanized chain holds up well to salt water. It is probably some sort of steel chain with a finish coat. I've seen some that look like anodizing. You best bet is to replace it with galvanized.

Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote