Aluminum Corrosion New Scamp 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Ric

Name: Rick
Trailer: Scamp 13'
California
Aluminum Corrosion New Scamp 13'

Our brand new Scamp 13' was delivered with this level of corrosion on all the outside metal. Is this normal for a brand new trailer? How would we clean it up?
Thanks

Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Wow-That almost looks like it's been near salt water for awhile!

Have you asked Scamp about it? Is it in any way possible that this is actually the original finish- sort of "antique" or something?

Your threadtitle refers to "aluminum corrosion"- are you sure those hinges are aluminum, or are you referring to similar corrosion on other aluminum parts of the trailer?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Ric

California
Scamp is completely on board with correcting this matter. I have been told to take the rig over to Camping World and Scamp will absorb all costs to repair or replace the metal parts. Cannot ask for much more than that:>)
Old 02-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Scamp is completely on board with correcting this matter. Cannot ask for much more than that:>)
Except to ask why they would ship it that way.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Hmmmm. Looks to me like the texture of a die cast aluminum part where the mold was sand blasted to get the rough looking finish. That's the same way mine looked 7 years ago and looks today.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If it was intentional, you'd think the fasteners would match.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
It actually doesn't look a whole lot different than the one on their parts store. Scamp Outside door hinge.. Mine also has the white specks the OP's has but its from wax getting into the rough spots.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Welcome to the states that use salt on their hiways.
That's what all the aluminum looked like on my sand rail by the time I drove from MI to Tx.
If they are going to replace them, clearcoat the new ones before installing.
You will be glad you did.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #9

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
The window frames may have a clear anodized surface, and are smoother due to being extruded. Do the window frames look that way too? Just wondering... photos? My cast aluminum door hinges were dull and grey when I bought my 2003 Scamp last year. A stainless steel wire wheel made them look spiffy, and they look good after a year.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Aren't the window frames black? Surely the bellyband isn't corroded?
The hinges are always a bit of a funky looking casting.
Our brand new safety chains had the anodizing completely destroyed with just a couple of hours of liquid highway salt exposure on our recent trip to Florida. It even damaged the spokes on my bikes which have stood twenty three years of use without a problem. No damage to the bike wheels or the belly band though,also no damage to the windows.
More pictures?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #11

Name: ken
Trailer: beachcomber tm 15
British Columbia
aluminum corrosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Wow-That almost looks like it's been near salt water for awhile!

Have you asked Scamp about it? Is it in any way possible that this is actually the original finish- sort of "antique" or something?

Your threadtitle refers to "aluminum corrosion"- are you sure those hinges are aluminum, or are you referring to similar corrosion on other aluminum parts of the trailer?

Francesca
I tend to agree with you, it does look like salt damage. Keep an eye out for problems with your electrical.
kprpap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Our brand new safety chains had the anodizing completely destroyed with just a couple of hours of liquid highway salt exposure on our recent trip to Florida.
Unless the chains are aluminum - which seems unlikely - I don't think they're anodized. They are presumably steel, and likely plated but possibly galvanized, although anodizing is apparently possible.

I realize that the point is that the salt in coastal areas is a problem, but not necessarily for all aluminum parts.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
Ric

California
Update: The trailer is at Camping World. Service dept believes they can restore most of the metal to a new appearance. Either way, restoration or new parts, Scamp is still on board with absorbing the full cost of handling this. Still waiting to hear from CW regarding how they intend to procesed after chatting with Scamp. We were over at CW Sunday buying some accessories and drove by our rig parked in the service lot. Man, it looked very, very small compared to some of those monsters there BTW thanks for all input on this soi far.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Ric,
How was the trailer actually shipped? Flat towed, on a flat bed, covered trailer or car hauler, Was it shrink wrapped like they do boats? I am speculating the carrier was selected by Scamp and not contracted by yourself.
I am glad that Scamp is following through with repairs. That is so rare these days.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
Ric

California
Scamp 13' corrosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Ric,
How was the trailer actually shipped? Flat towed, on a flat bed, covered trailer or car hauler, Was it shrink wrapped like they do boats? I am speculating the carrier was selected by Scamp and not contracted by yourself.
I am glad that Scamp is following through with repairs. That is so rare these days.
the trailer was towed by an independent transporter contracted by Scamp. Remarked he went the weather-hell coming from MN all the way to So. CA...
Old 02-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I'll bet he did. This year wasn't the best winter to do that trip between the road salt back east and wet desert alkali. But you got it and will be ready for camping season right away. You also got a free water test for leaks while still under warrenty.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
door hinges are cast aluminum, belly band, door step are extruded just basic mill finish, same with old window frames. Your casting will look like that from the casting mold and type of casting material used, probably from less pure aluminum.
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
that is not genuine aluminum, we in the metal trade called it pot metal, it has a bit of aluminum in it but more zinc etc. You could check around for metal fastener companies and maybe find some real aluminum but on a new trailer I'd have to know th bolt pattern will be the same, you could also clean them up and paint them.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Little side note that Henry Ford shipped his first Model Ts an others vehicles out West with Just Primer they were painter in Portland Or then shipped to Western States. The early Coal fired trains made a mess of them,
Scamp has always been good about making things right. Shipping in the winter can be tough.
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #20

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P
Unless the chains are aluminum - which seems unlikely - I don't think they're anodized. They are presumably steel, and likely plated but possibly galvanized, although anodizing is apparently possible.

I realize that the point is that the salt in coastal areas is a problem, but not necessarily for all aluminum parts.
No one used aluminum chain. Galvanized chain holds up well to salt water. It is probably some sort of steel chain with a finish coat. I've seen some that look like anodizing. You best bet is to replace it with galvanized.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp