Aluminum wheels for Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

Name: Gary
Trailer: 89 13' Scamp
California
Aluminum wheels for Scamp 13

Hi All,
Looking for some advice. Thinking of getting some Aluminum Wheels for my Scamp. 13" . Scamp has 4 hole bolt pattern. Wheels I'm looking at have a load rating of 1140lbs. I know my total trailer weight exceeds that, but, are they talking total trailer weight or weight over the axle. Help please. Thx, GaryG

Old 09-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #2

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Thumbs up Aluminum wheels for Scamp 13

I would have thought the combined weight limit of both wheels only needed to be able to handle the total weight of the trailer, but I'm hopeful someone with actual knowledge in this area will speak up. I too would like to replace my Scamp 13 wheels with aluminum, so keep us posted.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #3

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
You need to weigh each wheel to really be able to know the force applied to the wheel and tire. My guess is you'll be under and ok. EXAMPLE... My trailer weighs about 1700 lbs fully loaded. Tongue weight is a bit less than 200 lbs. that leaves 1500 lbs to be divided between the two tires, if it evenly divided it would be 750 lbs per wheel/tire.

Weights -- there are three points of contact where the TOTAL weight of the trailer is applied. The two wheels and tongue where it attaches to the ball. Weight over the axles is total weight minus the tongue weight, which should be between 10 and 15% of the total weight.

As I said, go find a scales where you can weigh the weight on each wheel with the trailer fully loaded, propane tank full, fresh water tank full, food, clothing etc. packed.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hummm a 1989. How's the axle? I replaced the one on my 1988 several years back. You'll spend $$$ or aluminum wheels, unless you're buying them used and they still probably won't be cheap. If it were me, and it's not, I'd first replace the axle, go to five bolt (a lot more common!), then look for the wheels... and I wouldn't buy aluminum... but alloys. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #5

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Does this Scamp use zero offset wheels ? If so, you may have a hard time finding aluminum alloy whhels for it. If however it uses wheels with some positive offset ( I doubt it ) then you'll have more luck finding them.
I agree that if it is time to swap out the axle, then going to a five hole wheel would open up your options. If you look at the Sendel website ( they are a huge supplier of wheels to the rv industry ) you will see several options in zero offset wheels for trailers.
And Donna, I think we may be just talking a difference of semantics here, but when folks are talking about "aluminum" wheels, we are generally speaking of aluminum alloy. There are indeed very few "aluminum" products made that are actually pure aluminum. It is almost always alloyed with various other metals to give the desired characteristics. These alloys vary according to strength requirements, and manufacturing methods employed, among other things.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #6

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
And Donna, I think we may be just talking a difference of semantics here.....
You're probably right George, but you NEVER know!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #7

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
trailer aluminum rims from Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 09-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
I just bought nice aluminum wheels from etrailer.com. I looked high and low locally while I was in Washington but couldn't come up with anything. I ended up buying tires only and then looked at etrailer when I got home to Vegas. They had a great selection at a great price with free shipping. I also called Scamp and confirmed that I could go to 14" rims and tires which I did. The one regret I have is that I didn't order them while I was in Washington because the tires are far less expensive and they include free mounting and balancing along with the free shipping. Live and learn.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #9

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
etrailer.com
I put them on my Scamp 19 and they look much like my truck's.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Here's another site that sells a variety of rims for trailers.

Trailer Rims Wheels, Custom Rims, Aluminum, Steel, Galvanized Trailer Wheels

I agree with Donna that you may want to look at the health of your axle first and if a replacement is necessary, go with a five bolt pattern before buying new rims.

Spanke
Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #11

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Suggestion: Should you decide to install a new axle, I recommend that you select the one with the FLANGES where you can install electric brakes should you want to then or at a later date.

Tags
scamp