Amerigo Shower questions? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #1

Name: Denise
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
Maine
Registry
Amerigo Shower questions?

Hi everyone,
This summer I purchased a 1973 Amerigo FG-16 camper trailer..lol, and immediately loaded it up and took it on a 10 day vacation (along with my camping partner..my mother) to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and the Gaspe`. We had an absolutely wonderful time, with very few problems. I did have to replace the propane connections to the two tanks in NB, but fortunately was camped less than two miles from a camper repair place. Someone was watching over us I'm sure, that was just too lucky.

Now for my question..This camper has a small bathoom in the front, it has no water holding tank, it does have a "honey wagon" grey water tank that came with it. The water seems to come in only from the intake valve (Hose) directly to the sink..after investigating I found that there were two hoses fromt he sink faucet, one for the sink and one that goes under the floor and under the couch area, that has been cut, but did at one time go to the shower. It appears that the previous owner attached two pumps under the couch, and may have used the water tank as a feeder tank for the shower? I tried to see if I could make the water go through the hose from the sink directly to the shower..and could as long as the sink faucet was plugged..but not a large amount of water flowed through it. I'm wondering a couple of things. First of all, is there a type of faucet that will shut off the flow to the sink, but allow the water to go through to the shower? And also if there is a method of installing a water heater that will heat the water as it goes through to the shower?

Has anyone else had experience with this type of camper/shower set up?

I think that the camper was made with the shower, I don't think it was an add on by the previous owner.

Thanks for your consideration! Denise
DeniseinMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Denise, a simple solution that's easier and cheaper than replacing the faucet may be a bypass valve installed in the waterline to the kitchen sink. You'd just need to remember to turn it on and off as needed.

Name:   Bypass.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  15.7 KB

Maybe someone else has a better solution, but I think this would work for just a few bucks.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:45 AM   #3

Name: Denise
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
Maine
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi Denise, a simple solution that's easier and cheaper than replacing the faucet may be a bypass valve installed in the waterline to the kitchen sink. You'd just need to remember to turn it on and off as needed.
Attachment 30657

Maybe someone else has a better solution, but I think this would work for just a few bucks.
Thanks for that information Donna..lol..apparently I'm not a plumber..not even close, but that would probably do the trick! I also found on the site an inline water heater w/shower head that can be attached to the wall. One could be used with propane and one was electric for fairly reasonable cost. Looks like I may be able to figure this out after all!

We managed to get by with using showers at the campgrounds we stayed at, and I will admit that the shower room in the Amerigo is a bit clostrophobic. But I do love this little camper and would like to make it as good as it has the potential to be.

Thanks for your help! Denise
Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Shower Issues...

Hi Denise!
I have an FG-16 also and original manuals,etc. I don't know of any that came with a shower but I have heard that some folks have added showers to their own rigs. The Amerigo FG-16 came with a 20 gallon fresh water tank originally installed under the seat/ lounge and fed through to the kitchen sink. There also was an electric water pump beneath the seat and switch located on the surface of the seat cabinet. This pump helps propel the water to its destination. Without a pump, an airtank can pressurize the water tank, but an electric pump is the easiest and cheapest way to go. You should not have to have 2 water tanks and 2 pumps to achieve your goal. Also, you can purchase a propane water heater or simply use an on demand high flow water heater (electric) if you think you'll have electricity available from a land line power source. I have had both an on demand Bosch propane water heater and a traditional Atwood Propane Water Heater with tank, and the Atwood worked better. The flow rate on the tankless was insufficient-poor water pressure but was excellent in the traditional version using a tank. Go to ask.com and simply type in "How do you install a water heater to RV shower" and it will give you some directions. Have fun! I'd love to see a photo of that bathroom with shower!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseinMaine View Post
Hi everyone,
This summer I purchased a 1973 Amerigo FG-16 camper trailer..lol, and immediately loaded it up and took it on a 10 day vacation (along with my camping partner..my mother) to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and the Gaspe`. We had an absolutely wonderful time, with very few problems. I did have to replace the propane connections to the two tanks in NB, but fortunately was camped less than two miles from a camper repair place. Someone was watching over us I'm sure, that was just too lucky.

Now for my question..This camper has a small bathoom in the front, it has no water holding tank, it does have a "honey wagon" grey water tank that came with it. The water seems to come in only from the intake valve (Hose) directly to the sink..after investigating I found that there were two hoses fromt he sink faucet, one for the sink and one that goes under the floor and under the couch area, that has been cut, but did at one time go to the shower. It appears that the previous owner attached two pumps under the couch, and may have used the water tank as a feeder tank for the shower? I tried to see if I could make the water go through the hose from the sink directly to the shower..and could as long as the sink faucet was plugged..but not a large amount of water flowed through it. I'm wondering a couple of things. First of all, is there a type of faucet that will shut off the flow to the sink, but allow the water to go through to the shower? And also if there is a method of installing a water heater that will heat the water as it goes through to the shower?

Has anyone else had experience with this type of camper/shower set up?

I think that the camper was made with the shower, I don't think it was an add on by the previous owner.

Thanks for your consideration! Denise
sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:58 PM   #5

Name: Bianca
Trailer: 1973 Amerigo FG-16
California
Hello!

I also have an Amerigo FG 16 (1973). What I found is that these camper did not come with a indoor shower, they do have an outdoor shower though, and that is probably the hoses that were cut off on yours (just a guess). The outdoor shower is a very nice feature and one I strongly suggest you get to repair and not get rid off. The plumbing work may seem complex, I went thru it myself having upgrade all the plumbing lines and Mcgyvering my way thru between faucets hoses, PEC pipes shark bites and splits, so it is do-able. I am going to work on setting an indoor shower within the next few months. I live in it full time while I restore some of the components, floor, window seals, etc.

If I may suggest an easier way for your shower setup is to map out the under seat area where the water tank is store so you can run a line behind the water tank under the side nook behind the bathroom wall. That way you can create access to the wall of the shower for the shower plumbing and keep all components indoor neat and toddy. You’ll probably have to make small holes on the walls for the pipe but it’s not as complex as it sounds. This way you keep all the plumbing components together, besides the kitchen space, without having to mess with that area for extra stuff. I agree with the comment of the person that mentioned not having two water setups and all. These campers are very small and every space counts.

I am in the proccess or upgrading my 6-gal tank water heater to a tankless propane gas water heater. I chose propane heater instead of electric because propane is easier to have access to if you find yourself in an area without an outlet or other scenarios where you can’t count on electricity. I have many friends who also live in campers and mobile homes and speak very high of these tankless gas water heaters. I believe this is something you can do. Heck, I came with zero experience background and was able to figure it all out with forums like these and YouTube, your best friend when it comes to fixing things on rv’s and campers. Lol.

I’d be happy to provide with pics. It may all look crappy since I’m fixing things as I go. Though, maybe it can help map out or give you other ideas or help you to create your own, or if anything as a good example.

You got this!
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amerigo