Amerigo Sub Floor and Roof Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Amerigo
Utah
Amerigo Sub Floor and Roof Question

Hi all,

Thanks for all the info thus far. I have the gut almost finished, however I am now at a stand still...... My two questions are regarding the 'roof within the roof' and the subfloor:

I am curious about the double-hull interior portion of the roof (the white interior ceiling portion that all the cabinets were attached to)... Well, mine seems to be in good shape so I don't know if I should mess with it... however, I have no idea what's behind it, and I would rather have the ability to reframe the roof along with the rest of my interior skeleton (as seen is some of the beachcomber rebuilds), so I can plan/build out accordingly, and work from a flat roof versus the awkwardly molded shape of the ceiling hull. I guess the thought of framing out the interior along side a 'blind spot' (ie the upper white hull) with no knowledge of the anchor studs behind it, etc., makes me a little nervous. Also, I'd like to see if it needs any runners that I could bring down into the new subfloor for added roof support/anti sag, and I would also reinsulate the top, along with the rest of the trailer, as I'm sure it probably has the poor factory fiberglass padding randomly stuffed up there.... but that would be a huge task and if unnecessary since my roof is good as is, why create more work/expense for myself... I guess if it aint broke, don't fix it..... so....

Should I go down this road and pull out that white roof....? I'd hate to open up pandora's box, as mine is in great shape as is, but I am already in for a complete rebuild, so what's a little more work if this would pay dividends down the road....

Does anyone have experience here with this double hull deal.....? To tear out, or not tear out.... that is the question...... lol

Lastly, the subfloor.... Not sure how it's anchored down, as I am worried about damaging the bottom shell of the fiberglass in the process of removing the old plywood. I have located the anchor bolts that go through to the frame (which are rusted out) so I am going to have to take a cutting wheel to those to remove... but once they are out, does the old plywood subfloor just pull up from that, or this there something else anchoring it down...? Not sure how to proceed (like I said, I am just paranoid about damaging the bottom fiberglass shell before I start using 'force' to pull it up).... Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.
cvc0922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #2

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
double ceiling: For mine - I'm inclined to leave it in and as-is. If there aren't any cracks in the roof shell - any wood/insulation up there just isn't gonna get wet to rot. That being said - might consider a little gentle probing with a screwdriver or awl once you get some access. Considering it's a single, very large, piece, I don't think there's any chance of getting it out intact - and thus no chance of reinstalling without cutting it up. I intend to leave mine.

Subfloor: How bad is the wood of the subfloor? If it's really rotted - I'd think it would pull up pretty easy. If it's more solid and hanging on, I'd consider leaving it in place and just doing spot repairs. I'm currently planning on putting laminate flooring in mine. If the floor is a "little" soft, the laminate will spread the load out somewhat.

That being said - I've seen what the interior walls of mine look like. Seems a good bet that the water went down and damaged the floor too and that it'll need to be pulled.
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #3

Utah
Ya, I thought the same thing as to how I would even attempt to remove the ceiling considering the size is way too large to get out of there cleanly/in one piece..... I'll probably leave it, but was curious if anyone has seen whats behind these things, or have taken one out themselves.... however, it's quite tempting to remove it completely, and then reframe and reinsulate the roof as seen in some of the beachcomber rebuilds, and then just put up new paneling, making it flat and square shaped. It'd be much easier to then build out custom square cabinets versus being limited to that awkward molded shape and factory location of placement for cabinets, fridge, etc.

As for my subfloor, I am in the same water damaged boat as you, and it is quite rotted in multiple spots. A couple anchor bolts/plates even rotted to rusty dust... so it definitely needs to be taken out and fresh flooring put in... however, it doesn't want to just 'pull up'. I am confused on how it's anchored down, or if it should just pull up....
Old 04-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #4

Trailer: Wilderness 5th Wheel
what to do with roof

If the roof is not sinking or have a dip like i had

or you dont need headroom( I am 6'6") then leave the roof alone.

If you pull it down this what you'll see.

standing in door looking to rear

at door looking to front.

the blocks were one and a half inch blocks of foam. BUT not totally
covering the roof.

hope this helps. Or made clearer I guess.

Marty
Marty V.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:01 AM   #5

Utah
to rip out or not....

Marty,

Thanks for those pics. That's exactly what I was hoping to find, and that cleared up a lot of the unknowns I had, so thank you. My roof still seems to be in good shape and has not caved in at all.... However, I am 6'1'' and about 2 inches too tall to have comfortable head room, so my reasoning for tearing out the roof hull would be for the extra head room, and to add additional roof support studs along side my framing (and I think having a completely square space that I could frame would be much easier to build out and mount cabinets, etc., than working around that awkward hull piece)

That said, was that hull piece hard to tear out...? If so, how did you go about it, and then also get it out of the trailer once ripped down...? (I imagine you'd have to cut it into smaller pieces, once down, to fit out the door...?)

With all that said - and if you were in my shoes (good roof but could use extra head room but not a deal breaker, ease of framing, etc.) would you tear the hull out, or is it too much a hassle to justify doing for the reasons I mentioned....?

Thanks for the tips and beta!

-Chris
Old 04-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #6

ripping out roof

I'm thinking of cutting the roof and framing it and using canvas sides. Just like some truck campers do. I am also trying to do a slide out.

Marty
Old 04-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #7

sorry I forgot to say my roof came out in two pieces I think. I am using the roof pieces for fiberglass repair.

Marty
Old 04-28-2014, 11:23 PM   #8

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty V.K. View Post
sorry I forgot to say my roof came out in two pieces I think. I am using the roof pieces for fiberglass repair.

Marty

Marty,

How much additional height did you gain when you took out the roof piece....? Mine seems to be one solid piece, so I will have to cut it down into pieces some how when removing it..... Before I go through that nightmare, I am wondering if the trade off in labor/nightmare is worth the added height (since I am at an even 6ft and my head touches exactly at the roof piece now - so even a 2-3 inch gain for me would be huge)....
Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #9

depends on what you are standing on. If a finished floor then you may get away with it. The roof is about 2 to2 1/2 inches thick.Again if you have a sinking roof like I did take it out. You may want something different.

Marty V.K.

Tags
amerigo