amp draw - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #15
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
it is possible the fuse between the converter and the battery is blown.
That still would not explain your brown outs completely. When your converter is on, it bypasses the battery. A blown fuse between your charger and battery would certainly explain why it wasn't recharging tho.

As mentioned above, with the converter on, you can pull the battery out of your rig and STILL have 12v power. Thats what a converter does. Many folks here do not have a battery, they run strictly off the converter because they only camp with shore power.

I don't know about other models, but mine throws a relay which switches on the charger, and then disconnects the battery from the 12v system while it is charging from the charger built into the converter. The converter, and *only* the converter supplies the 12v system for the house.

I have breakers on the converter unit which also serves as a 110v distribution system. I also have a separate breaker to turn the converter/charger section off. It is set permanently to "Off". The charger that comes with the converter stinks, so I use a small outboard one instead. When I am plugged into shore power, the charger charges the battery and I run off of it.

I think the "Brown Out" theory in the park is a good one, or you are somehow not recharging your battery.. but why your system would be running off the battery when the converter is on, I do not know. Once you switch the converter on, it should drop the battery out of the house feed.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:51 AM   #16
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Different converters operate differently and some require a battery to be connected to filter certain circuits while others require a battery to be connected just to function properly....

Lots of converter manufacturers and lots of models from each over the years.

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #17
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I removed the face plate from the converter this morning bofre gong to work. It took me a while but I found a small 8 amp fuse at the bottom of the panel was blown. ONe of the glass tube types. Have replaced that and guess will see what results I have tonight. The unit had been plugged into shore power since Monday morning and the lights were still browned out on 12 volt.
I did get an email reply from Kent Eveland at Scamp. He told me to disconnect the positive side of the battery and try the 12 volt to see if the converter was working. Is nice to have such promprt sevice.
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #18
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
There should be an in-line glass fuse holder right near the positive terminal on the battery, so it's easy to disconnect. There will be another fuse like it inside the bunk near the door (upper inner corner under ratfur).

BTW, for new Scamp owners, apparently the new Scamps are being wired without these two fuses -- That would NOT be my choice, but there it reportedly is...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:50 AM   #19
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I replaced the 8 amp fuse I found behind the face plate of the converter and things starting working right away.
Just wanted to say thanks to all who took the time to offer advice!

Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote