Animals chewing your gas hose. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2017, 09:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Animals chewing our gas hose.

We have had an ongoing problem with some critter, probably a raccoon, chewing on the hose from our gas tank to the regulator.
I wrapped the line in aluminum foil thinking the feeling of the foil would deter them. That didn't foil the rascal, so I placed some Tabasco in the foil. That worked. But after awhile, I suppose the Tabasco drained away or they developed a taste for it and were back.
Then I got another idea, I had plastic strapping from something that was shipped to me. I wrapped that around the hose. That seems to be working, at least so far.
Attached Thumbnails
GEDC4836.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:17 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
A bucket or such over the tank may work also. No sence in wasting the hot sauce on critters .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #3

Name: Charles
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Soy based hose?

I had a similar experience with wiring on my refrigerator. A mouse chewed all the insulation off of the wires. Subsequently I learned that the wires were made with a soy-based material under some government mandate that has since been abandoned. Essentially they made the insulation with food. I wonder if something similar might be happening here. I've never heard of animals being attracted to gas lines before.
bookernoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Was at a campground out west, a number of campers had their hood's open on their trucks. When I asked why they said because pack rats get up into the engines and eat the hoses. Even at night the light is just enough to deter the critters. Upon further research on the internet, turns out many people have problems with such things, even when at home and in the garage with the door shut. I live in TN and have not had a problem with hoses being chewed, but have seen animal nests in the engine compartment.

I have a Honda 3000 generator mounted on the front of my Casita on the Overtank platform. It had a drip hose hanging about 3" or so outside the unit. It was chewed off when we got home (from out west).
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Rabbits are famous for chewing the insulation off cars parked at Denver's airport.

I recommend grilling them first, then apply the hot sauce.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote