another compact Jr rebuild - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 71 compact Jr
New Jersey
Registry
another compact Jr rebuild

hello all, I just got a 1972 Compact Jr for next to nothing from a local scrap yard. It is in sad shape but I am restoring it to meet my needs. I am in the process of making my offroad camper. When done it will be sitting on large tires and get pulled to my favorite spots in the middle of nowhere. I have a few questions on the process of doing the inside. As far as insulation I plan on gluing reflectix to the shell, than either FRP board or something similer glued to the reflectix. At least thats what I think im going to do . I don't know if its going to stick well. Has anyone done this or have any better ideas. I just don't want condensation. I was also playing with the Idea of ridgid foam 3/4 inch glued to the bottom half from the windows down and using reflectix for the top half. I have searched a bunch but can't really find a write up or any pictures of the process of covering the walls. Going over the curves is a concern that it will not stick well. Or do I just paint it and call it good. I am open to all suggestions.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #2

New Jersey
Registry
There are some pictures in my profile I can't figure out how to post them yet
Old 10-05-2011, 04:57 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
I looked at your trailer registry. Wow! You're right, that sure is yellow. Love to see the finished product.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #4

Trailer: Compact Jr
My sister's Compact Jr has rigid 1" styrofoam, covered with fabric (using spray adhesive) from the tops of the benches to the bottom of the windows. It's kind of wedged into place and stays pretty well.

She has nothing for insulation in the upper half of the trailer, and I seem to remember her complaining about condensation once in a while.

I have seen Compacts with white quilted vinyl covering the inside walls. It appears to have been a factory option. Tom Trostel has it, I think, and perhaps could tell you more.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowickyj View Post
I have a few questions on the process of doing the inside. As far as insulation I plan on gluing reflectix to the shell, than either FRP board or something similer glued to the reflectix. At least thats what I think im going to do . I don't know if its going to stick well. Has anyone done this or have any better ideas.
I sold My Compact Jr. after I fixed it up, which you can see in my profile.
I covered the entire interior with Reflectix, gluing it up with 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Spray Adhesive. I had some difficulty, and had to reapply the adhesive twice.
If I were to do it again I'd use the stronger 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive
Old 10-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #6

New Jersey
Registry
thanks Fred, I got the 3M 90 spray so well see what happens. I am having a hard time finding the reflectix. I went to two home depots and a local hardware store. its on the home depot website but I could not find it. I did find this that might do the trick what do you guys think? Shop Frost King Foam Duct Insulation at Lowes.com= its got foam and adhesive on one side and foil on the other side. its 1/8 inch thick and has an R value of 3. its 20 bucks a roll kinda expence and its only 15 feet long
Old 10-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #7

New Jersey
Registry
more questions, I boxed my wheel wells and im in the process of glassing them to the floor to tie it all together. I posted a new pic in my trailer profile if you want to see the progress. Is this what is done to hold it together ? the entire trailer seems weak. Also I plan on moving the bulk head back about a foot. will that jerpardize the structure of the camper? Sorry for all the questions but this is totally new to me. I have restored many things boats, jeeps, etc... but never anything like this. I have never even been in a camper until this week.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #8

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowickyj View Post
more questions, I boxed my wheel wells and im in the process of glassing them to the floor to tie it all together. I posted a new pic in my trailer profile if you want to see the progress. Is this what is done to hold it together ? the entire trailer seems weak. Also I plan on moving the bulk head back about a foot. will that jerpardize the structure of the camper? Sorry for all the questions but this is totally new to me. I have restored many things boats, jeeps, etc... but never anything like this. I have never even been in a camper until this week.
Let's see if I can remember how Sis' is built. The floor is 3/4 plywood, and I don't think it's glassed to the fiberglass shell at all; I think the only thing connecting the floor to the shell is the bolts that go through the floor and shell into the frame.
Sis' wheelwells aren't boxed in; she has a long bench on each side. The outboard edge of the bench top rests on a board glassed to the wall of the shell; the rest of the bench is simple carpentry, screwed to the plywood floor. The bench tops lift up for access to the space under the bench. Under the bench on the driver side is the fresh water tank, occupying most of the space.
The cabinets are also wood, simple carpentry. The bulkhead at the front of the cabinets helps support the roof of the trailer, so I think you want one; I don't think moving it a foot aft would be too harmful.

Over the years, I've done a load of modifications to her trailer, which you might be interested in; here are two discussions:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-30924.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...8-a-35651.html
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Yup- the 3/4" plywood is what holds the body on.... If you're going to boondock and crosscountry with it, you might consider adding crossmembers/strengthing the frame. Here's a link to my rebuild. Larry

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-jr-32790.html
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote