another frame question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #1

Trailer: Home Built Teardrop and U-Haul and Scamp
I did a search and couldn't find much on building a new regular type frame for a 13' scamp,I know it would probably change the center of gravity a bit,but this thing sits so low I was wanting to get it up off the ground a little bit,I know I can get a new axle and raise it but I really want to change the frame and have room for a tongue box and other things ,Any ideas on the problems I might face. Bill

Bill D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #2

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
The first problem you will run into with a frame for a scamp is that it isn't a standard straight frame. The frame makes dips for the floor area at the door. A custom frame to fit the existing frame thus giving you a lift as well as supporting an older "weak" frame might be the way to go. Otherwise you might consider taking the body off, and then having a newer frame made to fit the dimensions of the old one. By the time you get to considering replacing the frame all together your already in the realm of unlimited possibilities in my opinion.

Whatever way you chose to go about your project, please take lots of pictures, and keep us informed.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Simplest way to get some ground clearance for the body is to have a spacer welded between the axle bracket and the frame.

If I were doing that, I would also get the Dexter weld-on bolt-on bracket inserted there -- That would allow a future axle replacement as a bolt-on job with no welding required.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Simplest way to get some ground clearance for the body is to have a spacer welded between the axle bracket and the frame.

If I were doing that, I would also get the Dexter weld-on bolt-on bracket inserted there -- That would allow a future axle replacement as a bolt-on job with no welding required.
YUP---- and then while consulting your welding expert ask him about reinforcing the frame at the same time. A few simple trusses will add a lot of strength w/o adding much weight. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #5

Trailer:
Here are three photos someone kindly sent me of Scamp frames, so you can see what you would be trying to replace.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp_chassis_2s.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	17978

So to replace the frame, you would also be replacing most of the floor that is screwed to it plus building a new support for the dropped floor area just inside the door. Building a new trailer might be easier!

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_chassis_3s.jpg   scamp_chassis_4s.jpg  

Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #6

Trailer: Home Built Teardrop and U-Haul and Scamp
Thanks for all the great info,I'll take plenty of pics when I start this project,I feel I don't have a whole lot to loose with this project,this camper is in poor shape to begin with and I don't have a great deal of $$ invested in the camper itself and I also work at a local high school with a tremendous weld shop. If I can get the old frame off, I'm sure I can get a new one matched to my specs. Bill
Bill D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Search for other frames too. The boler and similar trailers have similar frames. There are some good pics on this site.

I put 2 short propanes and a battery under a tongue box on mine, all on the stock frame. I'm in the middle of composing the post for raising the body and swapping the axle from leading arm to trailing arm. I hope to get that posted with links in my thread Restoring Our 1972 Boler American, Annotated pictures within the next couple of weeks.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote