Another paint question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Boler ('Le Porto II') / 2006 Pontiac Torrent
Hello all

Has anyone try to paint fiberglass with Tremclad paint? I know its especially formulated for metal but im curious if anyone tried it on his/her trailer. Ill be painting my Boler whithin the next month. I getting pretty good with the spray gun so thats what ill use to apply. If Tremclad doesnt work, has anyone have suggestion for a good paint i can buy up here in Canada?

TY in advance, ill keep you posted about my project
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Trem Clad is sold in the U.S. as Rust-O-Leum. Here's a recent topic, be sure to check out the link posted by JEAN-L about halfway down, it will show with a bunch of work, the beautiful shine you can get for $50 (on metal): Painting a Boler.

Others will chime in shortly
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Home Built Teardrop and U-Haul and Scamp
I'm not sure about that particular brand,but I will say as with painting fiberglass,the prep work is 80% of the job,it needs to be lightly sanded primed with a good primer/sealer then painted,don't use too course of sand paper or you'll leave deep scratches that has to be filled,use 220 grit and go up from there to maybe 400 -600 grit then your paint job should turn out fine. Fiberglass trailers are no different than a fiberglass car such as a vette,just thinner,any auto parts store that sells auto paint should be able to help,since you're using a spray gun. Bill
Bill D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 1986 Cadet
Quote:
I'm not sure about that particular brand,but I will say as with painting fiberglass,the prep work is 80% of the job,it needs to be lightly sanded primed with a good primer/sealer then painted,don't use too course of sand paper or you'll leave deep scratches that has to be filled,use 220 grit and go up from there to maybe 400 -600 grit then your paint job should turn out fine. Fiberglass trailers are no different than a fiberglass car such as a vette,just thinner,any auto parts store that sells auto paint should be able to help,since you're using a spray gun. Bill
Can an orbital palm sander be used? I'm going to have to sand/paint mine since I have some trouble areas (cracks and "bubbling/flaking")

Thanks Ken
Kenny H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 AM   #5

Trailer: Home Built Teardrop and U-Haul and Scamp
YES,you can use an orbital sander,if you have more than stress cracks you may need to sand or grind it down a little deeper and fill it with duraglass,tigerhair or some other fiberglass body filler then go over it with a thin layer of regular body filler that you can finish smooth.
Bill D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I will refrain from my usual "there is so much prep work involved why use a cheap paint in the end" rant here but I do want to mention that you should solvent wash the fiberglass (assuming you are painting over original gelcoat) to remove the mold release wax (which does lurk even after so many years).

You want to do this process before sanding, as otherwise the sanding just grinds the wax further in to the camper. The procedure is to wipe a section at a time, and constantly fold your rags over to expose clean sides, so that you are not just spreading the wax around (or use the disposable "cloths" that painters use such as Kimwipes, etc. -- check whatever you use to be sure it is appropriately "clean" of contaminants as a cloth).

The trailer won't seem "waxy" but the mold-release wax is does not "show" like that.

Interlux Solvent Wash #202 is an example of such a solvent, although I'm not suggesting that you need to use that particular one. However you could Google it at their site of www.yachtpaint.com

Happy prepping (and then that last little step at the end... painting)

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Boler ('Le Porto II') / 2006 Pontiac Torrent
Ty soo much Raya for that last piece of advise. The Porto 2 is still behind the garage in 3 ft of snow but ill get her out soon to start the mods i planned for her.

I envy you down in the states who are starting to work on your eggs

Have a good day
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Quote:
Hello all

Has anyone try to paint fiberglass with Tremclad paint? I know its especially formulated for metal but im curious if anyone tried it on his/her trailer. Ill be painting my Boler whithin the next month. I getting pretty good with the spray gun so thats what ill use to apply. If Tremclad doesnt work, has anyone have suggestion for a good paint i can buy up here in Canada?

TY in advance, ill keep you posted about my project
Howdy, there are better ways to paint trailers but the bottom half of my 13' is done in red Tremclad, shot on by a gun....I use a Red bomb to touch up the front stone chips....there is some orange peel on the paint but doesn`t concern me.....You can see it on my Web Shots site......I messed up the prep on the front of the trailer and one of these years will fix it up....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting