Another Scamp question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Honda Element
It just struck me... while looking at my Scamp brochure... that the new Scamp's appear to be 200+ lbs heavier 'dry'... than they used to be. The old ones seemed to be 950 lbs... now they're purportedly 1200 lbs. I assume this may be a by product of Scamp also touting them as having 2" of additonal headroom. Has there been any discussion of this? I'm somewhat frustrated because 1) When I find a used (and now apparently lighter weight) Scamp I like, I'm usually outbid/or miss out 2) If I have to buy a new one... I have a Honda Element, and every pound counts... starting out at 1,200 lbs 'dry' really limits what I can add I should think. Does anyone have any idea what year the weight increased?

Thanks for any insight anyone has.
HustonFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
My personal opinion is that the weight of eggs like Boler, Casita and Scamp didn't change much, just what they said it weighed (and when they said it). To be kind, I will allow that many items that in past were perhaps considered options are now included in the dry weight as standard... And, indeed the post-fire 13' Scamp is now based on the slightly taller 16', so there's an extra band of fiberglass now in the weight.

As discussed here previously, the axle capacities of the Scamp trailers have been increasing over time; the 1,200# axles on '80s models were replaced with 1,600# on '90s and 2,200# on current -- That may also be in keeping with Dexter's expansion of the max capacity of their #9 Axle.

My 91S13 has a 'paper' weight of less than 1,000#, but when loaded for the road, it has weighed as much as 1,700#, and that's without the heavy options like a/c, bath, refrigerator, converter, etc., although it does have a battery, LP tank, brakes and spare tire.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp