Another Tire Question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Got to eat more bread there, Jon!!! Interesting observation and use of logic there, Francesca. But on second thought, you maybe thinking of independent rear ends where the suspension toes in under light loads and out under heavy loads. With the torsion axle, I think the tire has to be parallel to the road at all times, it is just when under load the unit sits lower and unloaded, higher, but the tires remain in the same alignment.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I have had to get trailer axles aligned a bunch of times, especially on my work trailers that take a lot of abuse. Basically, it is done with well placed sledgehammer blows.

I take my trailer to Standens, a big name here in springs, suspensions, axles and the like. The use presses and big hammers to bring the whelks into alignment. I was having terrible problems with wear like Jon's, replacing tires WAY too often, and after starting to keep them aligned, the wear issues have almost gone away.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #17

Alberta
Registry
Jon, did your trailer ever take a really hard bounce at any time?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have had to get trailer axles aligned a bunch of times, especially on my work trailers that take a lot of abuse. Basically, it is done with well placed sledgehammer blows.

I take my trailer to Standens, a big name here in springs, suspensions, axles and the like. The use presses and big hammers to bring the whelks into alignment. I was having terrible problems with wear like Jon's, replacing tires WAY too often, and after starting to keep them aligned, the wear issues have almost gone away.
These alignment were performed on torsion axles? That's most interesting...I've long thought that they can't be aligned once installed!

Thanks for the correction- sounds like it might be wise for Jon to get his new Maxxis from a shop that can do such an alignment, too....or take the rig to your sledgehammer guy after he gets them!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #19

Alberta
Registry
My sledgehammer guy has a very delicate touch.

I was actually surprised when the shop told me that this was one method they used, they mounted some kind of alignment checking thingies to the hubs, and monitored it while the slowly adjusted. I never got to watch them do it, but just got a brief description of their methods. Whatever they did, it worked wonders, and has saved my lots of bucks in hew tires which are not cheap for that trailer.

My main construction trailer has dual 7,000 lb axles, which I take to the limit a a fair bit, but are not torsion axles. I don't know for certain, but would think the same 'massaging' could be done to a torsion axle, no?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My sledgehammer guy has a very delicate touch.

I was actually surprised when the shop told me that this was one method they used, they mounted some kind of alignment checking thingies to the hubs, and monitored it while the slowly adjusted. I never got to watch them do it, but just got a brief description of their methods. Whatever they did, it worked wonders, and has saved my lots of bucks in hew tires which are not cheap for that trailer.

My main construction trailer has dual 7,000 lb axles, which I take to the limit a a fair bit, but are not torsion axles. I don't know for certain, but would think the same 'massaging' could be done to a torsion axle, no?
Well...

Maybe yes...maybe no...maybe "maybe"!
That's the information I glean from the many, many hits received when googling "can a torsion axle be adjusted/aligned?"

Here's a quote from one thread discussion that pretty well sums up what I think I know about the subject:

Quote:
When an axle is bent, whether from overloading or a hit that affects one wheel, it is the spindle that is out of line. Think metal clothes hanger. Bend it once, it weakens it, bend it numerous times and you can snap it. If the tires on wearing on the inside, the spindles are bent up, usually from overloading. If the tires are cupping and scuffing, the spindle is usually bent forward or backwards, resulting from a blow like hitting a curb, chuckholes on a corner, etc. We find this kind of damage usually on the right front wheel.

We replace quite a few axles every week, both spring and torsion style. We have very rarely encountered axles that were "out of line" due to the placement of the hangers or the attachment of the torsion axle brackets. If that is the case, the only way to align those axles is to remove them and put them on correctly.
It's also my understanding that much depends on the brand of axle and the way it was installed. Flexirides, for example, have some adjustments and replaceable spindles/rubber, while Dexters do not....and welded on is harder to service than bolted on.

Francesca
Old 01-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #21

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Jon,
As for replacing the tires with LR D tires, I know what I would do if it were mine. I'd replace the wheels to gain a wheel with a higher psi capacity, then buy the appropriate LR D tires. I personally would 'for sure' do this on a single axle trailer. With only two tires on the ground I'd want all the extra capacity I could get.
Wheels don't cost all that much. I'd also use metal valve stems.

george
Old 01-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Per Maxxis replacement:

You mention "90 psi"- how big a tire will the trailer wheels hold? I didn't see any psi's higher than 65 in what I understood to be your stock size...( Maxxis Chart)

Francesca
Yea, you are right - 65 PSI is the max. As to a "hard bounce" I have to admit a yes. I suspect I should get an alignment check with the new tires, although I don't know anyone in the area that I'd trust to align a trailer...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #23

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
My trailer did that on one axle. A straight edge, chain, and bottle jack fixed it.

Any axle can be aligned, it's a matter of how much work.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
My trailer did that on one axle. A straight edge, chain, and bottle jack fixed it.

Any axle can be aligned, it's a matter of how much work.
Would that be the same car hauler trailer you had all those blowouts on, Jared?

Francesca
Old 01-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #25

Kansas
Jared, and yes, but I got the trailer that way. All the blowouts were after it was fixed, and not all on that axle.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Jared, and yes, but I got the trailer that way. All the blowouts were after it was fixed, and not all on that axle.
Well, it's a novel way to fix a torsion axle, that's for sure!

O.K. if Jon swings by so the "doctor" can have a look at his?

Francesca
Old 01-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #27

Kansas
Pretty easy. Find out where it's bent, attach a chain to the "low" spots, put the bottle jack on the "high" spot with the chain over it, and start jacking.

I thought I had a picture of me straightening an axle I was trussing, but I don't. Here's one I stole from somebody's photo bucket.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #28

Name: marvonw
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Great Lakes area-US
The wear shown in your pictures looks similar to what I experienced on 2 sets of tires that only lasted less than 15,000 mi. each. I cured the problem with a new axle. Current tires have in excess of 15,000mi. and still look great, with even wear.