Another window question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
Another window question

I know I have asked a lot of questions about resealing the front and rear windows in my Scamp but hopefully this will be the last one.My windows were installed with rivets from the factory.Would it be OK to use screws and nuts to put them back in?Since the center section is removeable I could leave it out while installing the screws/nuts so I could reach inside and hold the nut.Does anybody think this would be a bad idea?
Attached Thumbnails
scamp2 003.JPG  
Brian Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
It's a great Idea, you will have more control and repairability! Use stainless steel.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
When I redid my windows I used SS but was told that the SS shouldn't touch the aluminum because of a slow chemincal reaction that takes place over time which will cause them to break down prematurely. I put rubber washers between the SS screw and the aluminum window frame. Time will tell. Good luck with your project! Cheers! Emily
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #4

South Carolina
Registry
Thanks for the replies.Is this the tape that I need to seal the frame to the camper?Roll of Putty Tape
Old 05-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bran View Post
Thanks for the replies.Is this the tape that I need to seal the frame to the camper?Roll of Putty Tape
Yes that's the stuff....Butyl tape...You can buy it at Lordco or I think even Canadian Tire.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Quote:
I know I have asked a lot of questions about resealing the front and rear windows in my Scamp but hopefully this will be the last one.My windows were installed with rivets from the factory.Would it be OK to use screws and nuts to put them back in?Since the center section is removeable I could leave it out while installing the screws/nuts so I could reach inside and hold the nut.Does anybody think this would be a bad idea?
Here is what I used. All stainless steel button-head bolts, neoprene washers, inside and out, and locking nuts with the locking device going around the entire inside of the nut.
By the time the two dissimilar metals get their battle fully engaged, I'll be pushin up daisies.
I had to place the nuts outside because the trim rings inside would not seat with all that hardware. They fit fine with the button head and washer inside. I also took this window out and used the black butyl strip caulk. They are also waterproof. We have had torrential rains here to the point that we are close to breaking records for rainfall this month. If was going to leak, it would have by now.
Attached Thumbnails
IM001544.jpg  
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
That's regular old Putty Tape, what most manufacturers use. In time it will dry out and need to be replaced again.
This is Butyl Tape:
Butyl Rubber Tape - Flexible tacky adhesive Sealing Tape
Old 05-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
That's regular old Putty Tape, what most manufacturers use. In time it will dry out and need to be replaced again.
This is Butyl Tape:
Butyl Rubber Tape - Flexible tacky adhesive Sealing Tape
Thanks for the correction! I saw the picture of the tape and assumed that it was butyl....Right name, wrong picture!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #9

South Carolina
Registry
Thanks for all the help.I just ordered the tape from PPL.
All I need now are the bolts,nuts and washers.And some free time of course.