Antena Mount - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Kip in Ga.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Posts: 459
Antena Mount

Not having any luck with the search feature.

Here is the problem:

The Casita TV antena is not very effective. Sitting at my house it will pick up only one TV station, and that one comes and goes. At campgrounds it hasn't worked at all.

I don't want to drill holes through the camper roof as most CAMPER TYPE antinas require. I bought a small house type antena from Amazon which can be attached to a mast. It opens to about 30" long by 24" wide. Mounted it on a nearby post and attached it to the Casita via the outside "cable" connection, which is at the streetside rear corner. Now I'm getting about 15 stations real strong and clear and a few that come and go. The antena is about 7 feet off the ground.

So...! How do I attach it stably to the Casita, without drilling holes in the fiderglass, even it if has to be removed for travel?

Ideas, thoughts and pictures are all welcomed.

Thanks,
Kip
__________________

__________________
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
If you go to the T@b @ Yahoo group, myself and several other members bought the Winegard Hide-a-Way antenna and mounted it on a 8' piece of plastic pipe, cut and threaded in half. I use it now with my Egg. I mount it up front and bungee to my tongue box.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00826.jpg   DSC00827.jpg  

DSC00828.jpg  
__________________

__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Ron F's Avatar
 
Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Posts: 405
Registry
Kip,
I'm not sure if this would work for you, but I mounted an amplified Winegard Sensar on a painter's pole. The pole is U-bolted to the spare tire mount. The painters pole telescopes and allows me to raise, lower and rotate the antenna for aiming. I leave it lowered for traveling. The sensar does a pretty good job of pulling in channels. The only disadvantage is that the amplifier needs 18Vdc. There's a 120VAC adapter that plugs in to produce the 18Vdc, but it would be handier if the amp needed 12Vdc. I think there are some amplified antennas that use 12V.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
SSL21835.JPG   SSL21834.JPG  

SSL21832.JPG  
__________________
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Tim Wood's Avatar
 
Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Posts: 747
Both look like good idea's to me.
__________________
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:32 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Kip in Ga.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Posts: 459
Good ideas!
Thanks,
Kip
__________________
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Radar1's Avatar
 
Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Posts: 767
Registry
Kip,
I just used an old VHF set-top antenna and mounted it on a PVC pipe setup, with all the vertical sections unglued so they can come apart for storage and easy transport. I used an "H" shaped concoction as the stand, and place as many PVC pipes in as I need for whatever height I want. At Gulf Shores I only used enough to reach the top of the camper and got 26 channels there. In my driveway the signal is not as strong so I have about 13 ft of pipe sticking up. I get 18 stations in my driveway with this setup (some are Spanish and some are weather channel) but I get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and PBS.
I can set this either on the front or the back and bungee it to the frame or bumper if needed, or move it away from the camper if a tree is in the way.
One thing I like is that no booster is used, so no extra power consumption when boondocking, and my tiny 7" TV runs off 12 volts DC.


John
Attached Thumbnails
100_5719.jpg   100_5720.jpg  

100_5722.jpg  
__________________
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:33 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Kip in Ga.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Kip,
I just used an old VHF set-top antenna and mounted it on a PVC pipe setup, with all the vertical sections unglued so they can come apart for storage and easy transport. I used an "H" shaped concoction as the stand, and place as many PVC pipes in as I need for whatever height I want. At Gulf Shores I only used enough to reach the top of the camper and got 26 channels there. In my driveway the signal is not as strong so I have about 13 ft of pipe sticking up. I get 18 stations in my driveway with this setup (some are Spanish and some are weather channel) but I get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and PBS.
I can set this either on the front or the back and bungee it to the frame or bumper if needed, or move it away from the camper if a tree is in the way.
One thing I like is that no booster is used, so no extra power consumption when boondocking, and my tiny 7" TV runs off 12 volts DC.


John

Thanks John. I would not have thought an antena of that type would work so well.

Kip
__________________
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
I have an old tripod that I was thinking might work as a base for creating a holder of some sort for a TV antenna. Was thinking I could just set it on the roof when needed and it would be easy to move around for reception. Already have a the cables to the roof from the TV amp box in the trailer - just not sure what type of antenna to get or how to attach it to the tripod. Anyone seen a tripod used for an antenna mount?
__________________
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
Kip,
I'm not sure if this would work for you, but I mounted an amplified Winegard Sensar on a painter's pole. The pole is U-bolted to the spare tire mount. The painters pole telescopes and allows me to raise, lower and rotate the antenna for aiming. I leave it lowered for traveling. The sensar does a pretty good job of pulling in channels. The only disadvantage is that the amplifier needs 18Vdc. There's a 120VAC adapter that plugs in to produce the 18Vdc, but it would be handier if the amp needed 12Vdc. I think there are some amplified antennas that use 12V.

Ron
I like the idea of the painter's pole. I placed it on my projects list. How do you manage the cable between erected and retracted positions?
__________________
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:29 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Ron F's Avatar
 
Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Posts: 405
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
I like the idea of the painter's pole. I placed it on my projects list. How do you manage the cable between erected and retracted positions?
I have the cable loosely spiraled around the pole. There's enough slack to allow it to be fully extended and rotated. It works very well and there's no storage problem when traveling. I just retract the pole and it travels right there.
__________________
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Name: Linda
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Posts: 10
Thanks this is great
__________________
Txlmt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:49 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Posts: 553
Here's my setup. I started with a 10' top rail for a chain link fence. It has one reduced in size so it will fit into the next section on a fence. I cut it in two.
the diameter is perfect for the King Omni go antenna and I used a U clamp to secure it to the bumper. It works well just above the AC unit. I previously tried PVC pipe but found it flexed too much. Top rail at Lowes was about $10.
For storage I mounted it on the rear bumper cross wise.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Extended.JPG   Joint.jpg  

Poles.JPG   Storage.JPG  

__________________

__________________
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where should I mount my Inverter? Kurt in BC Modifications, Alterations and Updates 18 10-10-2011 10:36 AM
TV Mount Question Sheryl M Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 11-08-2009 08:56 PM
Window AC Mount Bonnie Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 08-25-2007 04:49 PM
Best Battery Mount? Kevin Woods Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 07-10-2007 06:31 AM
Another Awning mount jrnutpaul Modifications, Alterations and Updates 0 11-06-2006 06:53 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.